diy solar

diy solar

Is the generator used to charge the battery or power the load? Or both? Which one will the generator be used firstly?

AnK

I'm working with the Inverter Deye 12K Hybrid and am confused about how can I calculate and choose the Generator. All references I've read pointed out that Generator was just used to charge the battery. And the generator is calculated by this formula: 1662349920872.png But this video by DEYE at 1:40 show that the generator not only charges the battery but also powers the load. :
. Which is true and how can I calculate and choose Generator? Thank you so much.

Usually the generator comes on when the grid goes down. Is that how your system will work?
Yes if the grid is down the generator will power the load. If there is sufficient power the battery will get charged. I assume if there is insufficient power from the generator the battery/inverter will supplement the generator.
And when solar is available it will provide energy to be directed by the inverter as needed.

• Love
Reactions: AnK
Usually the generator comes on when the grid goes down. Is that how your system will work?
Yes if the grid is down the generator will power the load. If there is sufficient power the battery will get charged. I assume if there is insufficient power from the generator the battery/inverter will supplement the generator.
And when solar is available it will provide energy to be directed by the inverter as needed.
my system is off-grid solar system, so the grid doesn't work at all. And generator will operate when SOC<30% and solar is unavailable.

When generator is running. It can charge the battery, or power the loads, or both at the same time. Depending on what settings you choose.

Yes if the programming starts the generator, power will pass through to the loads directly. If there is excess power available the battery will get charged.

Yes sizing the generator can be difficult depending on the loads and usage pattern. Is the generator just for back up? or do you expect the generator to run a couple hours each day? What sizes are being considered?

The battery is just another load. How the inverter-charger handles it when being powered by a generator (or grid AC for that matter) will be up to the set points and specs for battery charging current and voltage.

On Deye and SolArk you can set maximum generator load current. That AC input current limit will be distributed between AC output and battery charging with AC load demand taking priority on available generator power (charging current will be automatically reduced to keep from exceeding AC input current limit set).

If your AC load exceeds generator input AC amps set limit then battery power through inverter will supplement the AC input from generator to support the AC output load. If AC load exceeds AC input current limit plus maximum inverter current capability, the inverter will shut down due to overload.

There is also AC input limit of 50 amps due to pass-through relay capability. That is about 12 kVA generator.

Last edited:
When generator is running. It can charge the battery, or power the loads, or both at the same time. Depending on what settings you choose.
I've read the Inverter manual but I can't find how to set it. The manual only has Batt First or Load First setting for PV power.

I've read the Inverter manual but I can't find how to set it. The manual only has Batt First or Load First setting for PV power.
It's been a year since I looked into those inverters.
I don't remember all of the settings. But,you can set them for just about any configuration. Look for anything pertaining to a generator.

On Deye and SolArk you can set maximum generator load current. That AC input current limit will be distributed between AC output and battery charging with AC load demand taking priority on available generator power (charging current will be automatically reduced to keep from exceeding AC input current limit set).

If your AC load exceeds generator input AC amps set limit then battery power through inverter will supplement the AC input from generator to support the AC output load. If AC load exceeds AC input current limit plus maximum inverter current capability, the inverter will shut down due to overload.

There is also AC input limit of 50 amps due to pass-through relay capability. That is about 12 kVA generator.
Do you have any references or experiments about this? I would like to know more about it.

Yes if the programming starts the generator, power will pass through to the loads directly. If there is excess power available the battery will get charged.

Yes sizing the generator can be difficult depending on the loads and usage pattern. Is the generator just for back up? or do you expect the generator to run a couple hours each day? What sizes are being considered?
My goal is load is powered by an uninterrupted power supply. If the battery is low (SOC<30%) because PV doesn't work, the generator will operate. The matter is if the generator is used to charge the batteries, I can calculate it by storage capacity. Or if the generator is used to power the load, I can calculate it by the load. In the case of the generator doing both things, how can I calculate it?

I have to set my bat charge amps to 50A (x 2 SA12K). If I start at 75A and there is much of a house load and little solar, SA will shut down on OL. Mine only starts if bat gets around 20% or during tests. I keep the gen transfer switch in off pos, because I want to be there to monitor.

The generator power must have a maximum input on the inverter. So there is that.

Then it will be a matter of how fast the batteries should be charged. Again depends on use maybe charging slow just to get through the night is fine and leave some room to hit them with the solar. Or if there is snow on the panels may want the battery charged asap.

Do you have any references or experiments about this? I would like to know more about it.
I received some information that at least some of the SolArk models have not received the load shaving firmware yet. Hopefully it should be released soon. I have heard there may be a limitation on the maximum load the inverter can be under when it switches from charging to inverting, likely due to the amount of HV DC filter capacitors to carry it through the mode switchover.

For load shaving, most of the time and conditions, the inverter does not get subjected to a high sudden load surge current but there are a few rare occurrence conditions it must handle gracefully that is more difficult. I am guessing this is what is holding up the firmware release. In the worst case, the firmware would just let the inverter drop the ball and shut down to protect itself, but I am sure they are trying not to resort to this within the load power spec limits of the inverter.

HF inverters are more vulnerable to unexpected/worse case combination of conditions than a LF inverter so a lot of conditions must be tested. The more features included, the greater the chance of getting burned (or burned up) from some weird combination of conditions.

Last edited:
If your focus is on battery charging then the answer is you have to carry the load first plus battery charging second. You can supplement inverting load with generator. But you can’t invert and change batteries at the same time. You could with a separate charger however.

I'm working with the Inverter Deye 12K Hybrid and am confused about how can I calculate and choose the Generator. All references I've read pointed out that Generator was just used to charge the battery. And the generator is calculated by this formula: View attachment 110309 But this video by DEYE at 1:40 show that the generator not only charges the battery but also powers the load. :
. Which is true and how can I calculate and choose Generator? Thank you so much.
I am using same setting but once second generator giving battery one second the battery giving load like on off why

I have a big generator 22 kva i am giving the battery charge on generator 2200w 10A and i know my load is only 5-6 amps but my generator not giving the battery once to load once to battery ??‍♂️ i wm so confused

Attachments

• D82929E4-A3B5-4005-BEC7-629E16C20DCB.jpeg
    D82929E4-A3B5-4005-BEC7-629E16C20DCB.jpeg
    146.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 6098D22E-99EF-428B-81AE-4421712EABE9.jpeg
    6098D22E-99EF-428B-81AE-4421712EABE9.jpeg
    141.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 09C2A063-07BC-42EA-8962-FF60F1D27C5D.jpeg
    09C2A063-07BC-42EA-8962-FF60F1D27C5D.jpeg
    137.3 KB · Views: 15
My goal is load is powered by an uninterrupted power supply. If the battery is low (SOC<30%) because PV doesn't work, the generator will operate. The matter is if the generator is used to charge the batteries, I can calculate it by storage capacity. Or if the generator is used to power the load, I can calculate it by the load. In the case of the generator doing both things, how can I calculate it?
You don't have to.

You set the Generator limit in the inverter and the inverter will draw up to that power from the generator but no more.

There is no difference in charging the battery from the generator and then powering your loads from the battery or powering your loads from the generator and saving your battery from discharging.

The inverter will figure out what way is the best way to utilize the generator in this situation.

You don't have to.

You set the Generator limit in the inverter and the inverter will draw up to that power from the generator but no more.

There is no difference in charging the battery from the generator and then powering your loads from the battery or powering your loads from the generator and saving your battery from discharging.

The inverter will figure out what way is the best way to utilize the generator in this situation.
Is the voltage or frequency can affect the generator charging on off? If the generator has up and down frequency ?

Back