diy solar

diy solar

Just finished my new ground mount

terrango

8.6KW of solar on this one.... Currently sitting with a total of 17.5 KW of solar on my property and it still feels empty... I guess ill build a second one.

So i built this out of treated wood (mostly). Its 42 feet long x 4 feet wide x 6 feet tall with 11ft uni-strut.
Total cost for wood: $420
Bricks: $70
Screw in ground anchors: $60 off amazon.
Aircraft cable: $100
Uni-strut: $140

The system is a floating system. Its only anchored with cables and earth anchors.
I have tested 2 other arrays and it seems to hold up to the harsh winter and spring in Manitoba Canada.

I will build a second one beside this one to help with the winter low sun rates.
Last year was brutal with an average of 1-2 hrs of sun.
The plan is to have 26kw of solar available.
1200 amps of battery storage :) slowly growing...

Attachments

• 20230730_155840.jpg
    20230730_155840.jpg
    495.4 KB · Views: 70
8.6KW of solar on this one.... Currently sitting with a total of 17.5 KW of solar on my property and it still feels empty... I guess ill build a second one.

So i built this out of treated wood (mostly). Its 42 feet long x 4 feet wide x 6 feet tall with 11ft uni-strut.
Total cost for wood: $420
Bricks: $70
Screw in ground anchors: $60 off amazon.
Aircraft cable: $100
Uni-strut: $140

The system is a floating system. Its only anchored with cables and earth anchors.
I have tested 2 other arrays and it seems to hold up to the harsh winter and spring in Manitoba Canada.

I will build a second one beside this one to help with the winter low sun rates.
Last year was brutal with an average of 1-2 hrs of sun.
The plan is to have 26kw of solar available.
1200 amps of battery storage :) slowly growing...
Can you tip it steeper in winter for sun angle and snow load?

No its not move able.. I found that from winter to summer the 30-42deg angle worked best for my location.
I did some testing with 2 smaller arrays before going all in on this one.
Will post a photo of the back side later today.
480W panels 18 total on this array.

42kWpv…All on diy PT lumber, unistruts or a Piper Cherokee wing spar - Aluminum 7075-T73511, 0.183” thickness.? Mine are anywhere from 45 to 66°, facing southeast, south and southwest.. I need more power in the winter time. I’m at 38° latitude.

Last edited:
For your location, 50N+ say, optimum should be 50+ deg year- round, 50 + 15 = 65 deg winter.

Nice build! Congrats!

How are you dealing with snow? Manual clearing, or just wait for a "melt-n-slide"? And if that, does it pile up in front of the lower panels? I need to build about 15-20Kw on ground mounts over the next year, in Maine, so looking at how folks are dealing with snow and ice.

Here is the back side. Still working on the wiring.
There is a few things i need to adjust, like a panel or 2 that is not sitting perfect, but ill do that in September.
Its been way to hot to do it.
Close your eyes to the conduit on top that is not straight.
I put it up in winter and i guess in summer is warped a bit..

The snow for the most part falls off, if we do have a big storm i usually go brush the panels off with my long brush just to help.
I think last year i cleaned panels off 5 times. The rest of the time the panels for 100% bare.
I had to compromise a bit on the tilt angle since its a stationary mount.
So after a few seasons of testing i choose 30-42 deg angle. However the second mount i am building beside this one will be 45 deg angle to help out more in winter.

After building this first mount you learn from all the screw ups and failures...
Next mount will be better... well i hope lol.

Attachments

• 20230819_163203.jpg
    20230819_163203.jpg
    417.5 KB · Views: 67
Nice build! Congrats!

How are you dealing with snow? Manual clearing, or just wait for a "melt-n-slide"? And if that, does it pile up in front of the lower panels? I need to build about 15-20Kw on ground mounts over the next year, in Maine, so looking at how folks are dealing with snow and ice.
I bought a telescopic brush from Walmart 10$ and i use that to take most of the heavy snow off to aid it.
I could leave the snow on there and it will melt, however if i want the panels to be more efficient then removing the snow will help generate power faster. I do take my snow blower and clean the snow in front of the panels once a month or depending on the snow fall.
The ice will melt off the panels as they heat up.

Back