diy solar

diy solar

LargeVoltage Sag , Transformer issue?

Regarding the Chargeverter to have it always on or to have it auto-start when power is applied, what would be the correct settings?
The idea is to make the system foolproof for the wife or any other non technical user. that it "Just works"
Just set the preferred voltage and amperage, and let it do the rest.
Mine is my only connection to the grid. It's just a backup plan. I use it to keep a minimum battery capacity. When solar production is low. It keeps it from going below my setting. And solar takes back over when available. Completely autonomous.

Just set the preferred voltage and amperage, and let it do the rest.
Mine is my only connection to the grid. It's just a backup plan. I use it to keep a minimum battery capacity. When solar production is low. It keeps it from going below my setting. And solar takes back over when available. Completely autonomous.
Great.
Just to make it clear.
if the chargeverter is connected to a Breaker. when the breaker is turned on, the chargeverter will immediately start charging the battery w/o any other input?

Great.
Just to make it clear.
if the chargeverter is connected to a Breaker. when the breaker is turned on, the chargeverter will immediately start charging the battery w/o any other input?
Correct
I have mine controlled by the dry contacts of one of the AIO's. (Like you would a generator)

thats a great idea. Do you use a contactor? is the Dry contact 5v or 120v?
I use a large relay to turn on and off the grid input to the Chargeverter.
"Dry" means no voltage output. Just a switch.
I run my relay control circuit through the Dry contacts.

If driving a DC relay coil with dry contacts, consider adding a snubber.

My inverter has dry contacts OK for 48VDC, 120 or 240VAC.

I'm using the SMA branded DC coil contactor, which has a great "economizer" - massive current to pull-in, low current to hold. The contactor can switch 100A. I didn't add a snubber because it was a manufacturer's supported configuration, but maybe I should.

Since you're going to switch the 240VAC input to a 5kVA supply (20A), plenty of cheap relays available. AC coil should be OK. Just secure wires so thy don't break loose and blow things up.

If Chargeverter's voltage is set low enough, no need to switch. But LiFePO4 voltage curve is flat. If you have PV and want to utilize it over grid, then you need suitable setpoint. Initially, with no PV, just leave grid connected and set to float.

If Chargeverter's voltage is set low enough, no need to switch. But LiFePO4 voltage curve is flat. If you have PV and want to utilize it over grid, then you need suitable setpoint. Initially, with no PV, just leave grid connected and set to float.
Was thinking about a low Float of 55Volts constantly, but the remote location is used probably 6 days a month. maybe just save the hassle and low Float. (No PV for now)
the power grid goes down a few times a day for 1 hr, so the chargeverter will be power cycling.

AC coil, fed by the grid circuit. No need to operate the relay, if there's no power available.
I only added the relay so that I don't have to listen to the fan, until it's needed.

Was thinking about a low Float of 55Volts constantly, but the remote location is used probably 6 days a month. maybe just save the hassle and low Float. (No PV for now)
the power grid goes down a few times a day for 1 hr, so the chargeverter will be power cycling.
If no solar, I wouldn't bother with the relay.
Just leave it on.

Hi Guys,

Going back to consider the Idea of using the AIO Solar inverter as UPS (90-140v) 10ms transfer time.
since the 3 tons A/C brings down the voltage from 195 (L1-L2) to 140V, in theory, the UPS Should kick in at 180v, as soon as the 3ton ac kicks in and supply the 240v from the inverter.
my question is: will the Inverter stay in a Loop continuously, changing from Grid to UPS??

Hi Guys,

Going back to consider the Idea of using the AIO Solar inverter as UPS (90-140v) 10ms transfer time.
since the 3 tons A/C brings down the voltage from 195 (L1-L2) to 140V, in theory, the UPS Should kick in at 180v, as soon as the 3ton ac kicks in and supply the 240v from the inverter.
my question is: will the Inverter stay in a Loop continuously, changing from Grid to UPS??
I would not run the A/C at less than 210v. No need "kick-in" as this is so low it should be full time on the inverter.
As the AIO will not charge the battery and invert at the same time it is just a matter of time before the battery is dead.

I would have a two hour battery as a minimum. What inverter size? Max draw?
The 280 is a good minimum assuming the max draw is 140 amps or lower and will cover about 6000 watts.

You have got to get the power company involved, something is absolutely about to die on you. It could potentially be dangerous.
No inverter or solar is going to fix this for you. Get the power company out.
Easier said that done in many parts of the world that aren’t the US/FL.

Back