diy solar

diy solar

Luyuan battery case

How long was that after the order was placed/paid?
She had to design the custom boxes on my specs and then have them made so longer than normal. My first order took seven weeks with Chinese new year in the middle, second order just box kits took five weeks. This latest order was ordered 4/20, I extended the shipping guarantee on this order.

Last edited:
I got confirmation that my order shipped too. I got a new BMS w/inverter communication.
And I got the faceplate with cutouts for the communication cables and the inner plate that holds the BMS.
I ordered 3 more JK BMSs w/active balance also. I think this one shipped air mail so I hope to get is fairly quick.

BMSwComms.jpeg

I got confirmation that my order shipped too. I got a new BMS w/inverter communication.
And I got the faceplate with cutouts for the communication cables and the inner plate that holds the BMS.
I ordered 3 more JK BMSs w/active balance also. I think this one shipped air mail so I hope to get is fairly quick.

View attachment 216682
"..shipped by airmail..."?
I did not need to know that was an option.
So I can chat with Amy late at night and get small light things delivered rather quickly? Not good for my addictive traits and poor after hours decision making!

"..shipped by airmail..."?
I did not need to know that was an option.
So I can chat with Amy late at night and get small light things delivered rather quickly? Not good for my addictive traits and poor after hours decision making!
Add in a beer or two and you'll really be in a mess.

So have any of you incorporated heating pads into your battery cases?

I got the new inverter JK bms (jk-PB2A16s20P) that has some heating pad controler built into it. It seems the previous versions only activates the heating pad when the low temp shut off is triggered. Is this this still true for the new bms?
That seems great for protection when storing but I am wondering it it wouldn't be better for a heating pad to come on a few degrees above the low temp shutoff so the battery stays active and useful.
So then would it be better to have a separate temperature switch for the heating pads inside the case that came on at say 5° above the bms low temperature shut off temperature?

This video says the bms can control 3A of heating pads. So does that mean with a 24V bms, I can use up to 72W of heating pads.

Are there any issues with directly drawing the power for the heating pad from the battery (and regardless if using the bms or a separate temperature switch)?
It would be nice to have everything contained within the battery case.

My custom cases being prepped for shipping on Friday, all going out today. Single M8 Terminals, Modded for JKBMS 4.3" screen etc. New Mounting Panel + a couple of other things now added to the default cases. BTW: 48V/16S Cases now availabel with Wheels too !
AND look below this image... Batt Test Report...
View attachment 190608

Ahh Here is the report for Matched/Batched Grade-A 16 EVE LF-280K-V3 cells for 2 of these cases.
View attachment 190609

For Interest: (Available Very Soon)
View attachment 190610
280ah testing 314ah as shown above and I wish to find out from those who have used this cells for about two years now. Does this 314ah capacity reduce or fall back to 280ah with time?
I don't know how true it's but I heard that the capacity will eventually fall back to 280ah with time. If this is true, what is the the duration?

Any of you guys have interest in a battery cabinet that would fit these battery boxes? Thinking about sourcing some cabinets to have modified with insulation, heating,buss bars, ground lugs, circulation fans, etc.

Something like this take down cabinet that can be shipped un assembled?

06893033-9D5C-4F50-9AB1-E941437DAE36.png

Last edited:
Here is a Guide I wrote up a while ago on building your own battery packs:
Luyuan Tech Basic Lifepo4 Guide V1.0A

Whatever BMS you choose, match the breaker to it, so a 200A BMS should get a 200A Breaker.
The Victron Lynx is an excellent way to put your packs in parallel, and makes for a clean & tidy install.

I ordered my cases came with a Single M8 Terminal as opposed to Dual Terminals to suit my setup which is going to end up as 2 packs in 3 stacks (6 battery packs) and my DC Bus is a bit strange as a result.
If the bms is not matched with the breaker, what is the effect?

Any of you guys have interest in a battery cabinet that would fit these battery boxes? Thinking about sourcing some cabinets to have modified with insulation, heating,buss bars, ground lugs, circulation fans, etc.

Something like this take down cabinet that can be shipped un assembled?

View attachment 217786
Sort of like a SOK external battery enclosure? The nice thing with the sok you can get a set of forks under there to move it around

Sort of like a SOK external battery enclosure? The nice thing with the sok you can get a set of forks under there to move it around

Too heavy to deal with, these could be shipped flat and put together on site.

The 150A & 200A are the same physical size.
I also got the 200A JK-Inverter models with 200A breakers in all my boxes. Gotta say, my bank is such that no battery pack ever sees such a draw. 6x280AH.
The silicone wire is the best option really, they handle more & use ultra-fine silvered wire. There should be a copper Crimp Ring on the end of the wire to go into the breaker.

Monitoring can be done via the Bluetooth app (great but a PITA as you can't see the "bank at once". The PC app requires one port connected to a PC and there's quirks & foibles of course. Brucey pointed to the Victron driver and other software is being interfaced, so Home Assistant & Similar will soon be able to communicate with these new BMS'. Andy from Andy's Garage has a couple of Vids on the new JK's & Victron interop but I don;t know how current (up to date) they are as JK is continually tweaking & improving the Firmware & Software.
You said there should be a copper crimp ring on the end of the silicone wire to go into the breaker.
Please, can I see the picture for better understanding.
Thanks

I was skeptical about the Luyuan matched and batched cells..
But my cells didn't need to be balanced. I put them together 16s and I was able to use them between 3.0V and 3.45V at 100 amps. My JK BMS with active balance didn't even need to balance at all.
That was not the case with my previous cells that I bought from Deligreen. I had to run my active balancer for days and days to get them balanced.
I will eventually charge the Luyuan cells to 3.55V and let them top balance but I don't really need to. These Luyuan matched and batched cells are awesome.
Did your test report exceed the actual capacity?
I'm really interested to find out if the exceeded capacity will eventually fall back to the original capacity.
For example, you order 280ah and the test report said 310ah. Will the 310ah eventually fall back to 280ah?
If yes, how long?

280ah testing 314ah as shown above and I wish to find out from those who have used this cells for about two years now. Does this 314ah capacity reduce or fall back to 280ah with time?
I don't know how true it's but I heard that the capacity will eventually fall back to 280ah with time. If this is true, what is the the duration?
There are Two Voltage Ranges and so Two Capacities.
Allowable Voltage Rage = 2.500 to 3.650: This range is where no harm is being done to cells and also if measured, the Gross Capacity rating as well.
The working Voltage Range = 3.000-3.400: This is the Voltage range that delivers the Rated AH Capacity, the NET AH.

If you Capacity test cells from 3.650 down to 2.50 that is the GROSS Capacity of that cell. This should always be reasonably above the NET AH Capacity which is delivered from the Working Voltage Range 3.000-3.400 with NBominal Voltage being 3.200 / 50% SOC.

You said there should be a copper crimp ring on the end of the silicone wire to go into the breaker.
Yes, a Ferule is required for the wire, most especially the Ultra-Fine Siliconized wire.
1716806131554.png

Did your test report exceed the actual capacity?
I'm really interested to find out if the exceeded capacity will eventually fall back to the original capacity.
For example, you order 280ah and the test report said 310ah. Will the 310ah eventually fall back to 280ah?
If yes, how long?
My test report did exceed 280ah. All cells were above 313.5ah but I never checked them.
They are the nicest cells I have ever seen and they stay perfectly balanced.
I assume that the capacity of the cells will fall below 280ah. That is what I have read.

They are the nicest cells I have ever seen and they stay perfectly balanced.
A real plus with cells purchased from Amy. I purchased CATL cells from another provider a while back and am in the process of swapping some CATL cells to handle "runners" which disrupt the individual battery abilities.

My portable build is using batched and balanced 304 EVE cells from Amy. The cells work and play well with others. I recently purchased the 280 EVES since their capacities better match my current CATL cells in my original build. The other plus is that their anticipated cycle life was considerably higher than the 304s based on MFG specs.

There are Two Voltage Ranges and so Two Capacities.
Allowable Voltage Rage = 2.500 to 3.650: This range is where no harm is being done to cells and also if measured, the Gross Capacity rating as well.
The working Voltage Range = 3.000-3.400: This is the Voltage range that delivers the Rated AH Capacity, the NET AH.

If you Capacity test cells from 3.650 down to 2.50 that is the GROSS Capacity of that cell. This should always be reasonably above the NET AH Capacity which is delivered from the Working Voltage Range 3.000-3.400 with NBominal Voltage being 3.200 / 50% SOC.

Yes, a Ferule is required for the wire, most especially the Ultra-Fine Siliconized wire.
View attachment 217912
I think he’s more curious at number of cycles to hit the nameplate capacity of 280ah.

I think the initial concern of the 280k were that capacity dropped substantially after the cycles add up.

I too would be curious at comparing these 300+ah tests when new to a pack that has say 200 full cycles. Will it still be above 300ah? Or you think it’s be at name plate (hopefully not less).

I think he’s more curious at number of cycles to hit the nameplate capacity of 280ah.
In another post @Steve_S did an excellent job in pointing out that the working Voltage Range actually will basically deliver the stated amount, in this case 280. That is also what he was just trying to say.

diy solar

diy solar
Back