diy solar

diy solar

Luyuan battery case

Order placed on 5/15 for one 24v case and 8 280 cells, added 4 more cells on 5/18.

Just got UPS tracking numbers for 8 packages just went live with no info.

Does that mean they’ve landed state side or they just left China?
Tracking goes active when landed & cleared customs & UPS has them in their hands. UPS is pretty good with all of this like some other courier companies.

So just the creation of tracking numbers has a fair amount of lag time until they start moving?

If you just got the numbers it may take a day or two for them to have any info. That's how it has been with domestic packages anyway.

Yeah tracking numbers were created today.

So safe to assume packages are state side?

That impressive. Exciting times.

Last edited:
My UPS tracking numbers were created (label ceated) when Amy packaged them up and sent them to the ship.
They didn't have any other info until UPS got their hands on them in the Sates (looks like the ship docked in Long Beach).

My label was created on May 8th.
The boat was scheduled to arrive at a US port on May 28th.
It was unloaded, cleared customs, and in UPS hands (La Mirada, CA) on May 31st (that's when you get a estimated delivery date and can start following the status with UPS).
And (the best part) the shipment is currently out for delivery and should arrive at any time (today is June 5th)! I am so excited!

Kind of glad my wife is at work. Not sure if her seeing 26 boxes being unloaded would freak her out, or worse, make her feel she should match that from Nordstroms.

Just got UPS tracking numbers for 8 packages just went live with no info.

Does that mean they’ve landed state side or they just left China?
You get tracking numbers when they do the paperwork before they ship, it will probably be a month before they hit port and the numbers go live and then it is about a week depending on where you are.

Last edited:
Yeah tracking numbers were created today.

So safe to assume packages are state side?

That impressive. Exciting times.
No, I got my tracking numbers when they shipped, they went live about a month later when the boat hit port. I got them about a week after hitting port.

That makes more sense, I was expecting a July arrival time so this is still in line.

she’ll be able to provide cargo shipping information as well? I can track it crossing the pond right?

Thanks for the info.

Last edited:
That makes more sense, I was expecting a July arrival time so this is still in line.

she’ll be able to provide cargo shipping information as well? I can track it crossing the pond right?

Thanks for the info.
I think so I just asked when it was supposed to hit the port.

Kind of glad my wife is at work. Not sure if her seeing 26 boxes being unloaded would freak her out, or worse, make her feel she should match that from Nordstroms.
The "pile" may indeed look daunting but once unpacked you'll breath a lot easier as will Mrs Shoes. ;)
Then the next challenge, getting rid of the boxes and that massive pile of foam ! Mind you the bigger pieces can com in handy for other things, at least it isn't styrofoam.

My UPS tracking numbers were created (label ceated) when Amy packaged them up and sent them to the ship.
They didn't have any other info until UPS got their hands on them in the Sates (looks like the ship docked in Long Beach).
Can you say storage unit:) I’m kinda hoping to get the next 34 boxes off site before they are noticed, there are 24 phantom cell boxes in the garage so I have a cell presence in her mind already.

Thanks for the info.
Chat with Amy. After the boat leaves she can check and give you an estimated date for the boat arriving in a US port.

Can you say storage unit:) I’m kinda hoping to get the next 34 boxes off site before they are noticed, there are 24 phantom cell boxes in the garage so I have a cell presence in her mind already.
Bonfire/burn barrel.

The foam is so bulky but burns great.

Just about got the cabinets figured out, i was originally planning on the system going in my detached garage in two AV cabinets but after the fire thread I decided to go outside in telecom enclosures.

This way I can put them in my side yard next to the house(don’t need 240v 50 amp wiring to the garage) and I am within 10’ of my electrical panel. If there was an issue the cabinets will keep it contained.

I am using them for 24v boxes so had to add 24/48 volt power supplies for the air conditioning/heating of the inverter cabinet and fans and heaters in the battery cabinets. If used for 48 volt they can be deleted.

D36F2DFB-2937-4755-B665-B8E90B631921.png

Just about got the cabinets figured out, i was originally planning on the system going in my detached garage in two AV cabinets but after the fire thread I decided to go outside in telecom enclosures.

This way I can put them in my side yard next to the house(don’t need 240v 50 amp wiring to the garage) and I am within 10’ of my electrical panel. If there was an issue the cabinets will keep it contained.

I am using them for 24v boxes so had to add 24/48 volt power supplies for the air conditioning/heating of the inverter cabinet and fans and heaters in the battery cabinets. If used for 48 volt they can be deleted.

View attachment 220182
Smart move.
I spent forever worrying about my batteries before I moved them into a shed.

Ok so I am looking for suggestions, what would be the best size for a smaller battery cabinet? Three, four battery?

I am getting the designs together for my personal use but there is possibility these could be available at a vendor. Any suggestions?

Ok so I am looking for suggestions, what would be the best size for a smaller battery cabinet? Three, four battery?

I am getting the designs together for my personal use but there is possibility these could be available at a vendor. Any suggestions?
Given this thread my main suggestion is that if you think you need a 3 to 4 battery cabinet, plan for two 6 to 8 battery cabinets!

Last edited:

If I had to pick, I’d do 4 as it’s an even number and height prob puts it at shelf height 32-48” high?

I have a ground bar in my Solark and neutral bar. They are connected to the main breaker box in my garage about 50' from the shed.

I am going to clean the paint off my battery case faceplates and make sure the main part of the case is ground connected to the faceplate.
The ground wire will connect all 5 cases together then go outside to a ground rod.

No, run the ground wire to AC system grounding. Running to a ground rod outside does nothing but waste wire and a ground rod. It provides no protection if the case was to be energized.

I am planning to put a ground rod outside of my shed separate from the ground rod by the main breaker box.

A waste of a ground rod. It will do nothing.

Right now, my shed solar panel frames are connected to ground bar in the Solark which I think is wrong.
I will disconnect the solar panel frame ground from the Solark and connect it to the new ground rod outside of my shed.

Leave the PV frames tied to the AC system ground.

This subject is extremely confusing and there is a lot of disagreement about how to use ground rods. I am not an electrician but I have an electrician friend who thinks what I plan to do is correct.
I'd find a new friend........

Last edited:
TBH, Sorry but you got terribly carried away and totally over did it.... Now you have all those spots that can rust up and cause other issues.
I am of the camp where Lightning Control & AC / DC Electrical ground are 3 separate items with a cautious relationship. That camp means dealing with the AC & DC grounding differently than dealing with Lightning Control & Management.

The battery Cases should be considered as DC Ground and therefore could be grounded the same as the SCC, Inverter/Charger/AIO to the common bonded earth ground circuit.

Solar Racking, Panel Frames are "not electrical" as such, there is no power flowing through that, they can be subject to Lightning (like that lone tree in a field, which you never stand under in a lightning storm) and that must be dealt with accordingly.
Solar racking, panel frames can be energized and thus need to be grounded to system ground.

Anything metal tied into the system needs to be grounded to system ground.

Has nothing to do with lightning, it has to do with preventing electrical shock should a ground fault occur.

Solar racking, panel frames can be energized and thus need to be grounded to system ground.

Anything metal tied into the system needs to be grounded to system ground.

Has nothing to do with lightning, it has to do with preventing electrical shock should a ground fault occur.
Also one of the reasons that my powerhouse floor is 3/4" thick rubber sheets (4'x6' rubber horse stall matt) that covers the entire floor with steel shelving etc all on top of it. Nothing touches the concrete floor. Take no prisoners or chances.

People talk about Fires without realizing that IF your LFP cells do actually catch fire, they will burn at 1000C or more and that no Tin box will contain it, steel will let at that temp. As for drywall etc... well... Even Cement Fireboard would be hard pressed to contain it. Mag-O can handle 1500C but few even know about & even less actually use it. Our Vaults (defence) were fireproofed including Halon (YEAH it is now illegal in most parts) but what the heck, don't worry about that.

Funny thing: Not one person mentions what happens IF AC & DC are grounded to the same ground point and something goes terribly wrong and that Ground get's Energized. I AIN'T SAYING NOTHIN - BUT SOMETHIN HAPPENS....

No, run the ground wire to AC system grounding. Running to a ground rod outside does nothing but waste wire and a ground rod. It provides no protection is the case was to be energized.

A waste of a ground rod. It will do nothing.

Leave the PV frames tied to the AC system ground.

I'd find a new friend........
Thanks very much for your time. I actually came to the same conclusion already and your way is the way I plan to set it up.

Reactions: Zwy
Funny thing: Not one person mentions what happens IF AC & DC are grounded to the same ground point and something goes terribly wrong and that Ground get's Energized. I AIN'T SAYING NOTHIN - BUT SOMETHIN HAPPENS....
DC negative should not be connected to AC grounding system. Only the metal case should be grounded to AC system ground. No connection between metal case and battery negative.

As stated before, anything metallic needs to be grounded to AC system ground. This is to clear a ground fault should one occur and prevent electrical shock.

Kapton Tape

BrandAPT Advanced Polymer Tape
MaterialSilicone
Number of Items1
Recommended Uses For ProductIndoor, Electrical, Plumbing, Arts And Craft, Painting, 3D Printing, Sublimation
Special FeatureNo Residue

About this item​

• 【Wide Area of Applications】-Used for electronic products, soldering, circuit boards, manufacturing, fiber optics cable, insulating circuit boards, ground barrier & insulation for coils, 3D printing, high temperature sublimation powder coating, etc.
  • 【High Temperature】- APT Polyimide tape has highly excellent heat & solvent resistance. Minimal shrinkage after baking and clean removal, and also shows the great electrical insulation. It maintain high-temperature resistance as high as 400F (260℃).
  • 【Clean Removal, No Residue】- Our high temperature tape can withstand up to 400F (260℃) degrees. Remove cleanly, leaves no residue.
  • 【No Shrinking, Curling, Or Lifter Edges】- Made with high temperature silicone adhesive and premium film. Our tape resists curling, shrinking, and lifted edges every time.
  • 【Trusted Every Where】- Our tape do not contain any harmful chemicals, and complies with RoHs & Reach requirements. It is rigorously tested and meets American Society for Testing and Materials D-5213 standard, for high performance every time.

If you need different widths of Kapton tape TapeJungle has it. I used your link on Amazon to check it and then went over to my favorite tape supplier to see if they carried Kapton and they do. The 2" width in your link seems a bit too wide, but it looks good in your build.

Given this thread my main suggestion is that if you think you need a 3 to 4 battery cabinet plan for two 6 to 8 battery cabinets
If I had to pick, I’d do 4 as it’s an even number and height prob puts it at shelf height 32-48” high.
The boxes are about 10-1/2” tall so a four battery cabinet would be about 48”-52” tall.

diy solar

diy solar
Back