diy solar

diy solar

Makes me want to buy more panels. US manufacturing process.

Chinese supplies and production line. American assembly. I wonder if business case only works with price premium and subsidies. I wonder if this saves on shipping expense getting these components here versus complete panels. Also wondering if this actually saves customer money or just a jobs program for locals.

Chinese supplies and production line. American assembly. I wonder if business case only works with price premium and subsidies. I wonder if this saves on shipping expense getting these components here versus complete panels. Also wondering if this actually saves customer money or just a jobs program for locals.
I noticed the Chinese equipment as well.
In the comments he mentioned $256 / 450w bifacial picked up.
I'd say that's pretty darned good.

That's 56 cents/watt, same as retail. They got to be selling them cheaper wholesale or no one would buy them. China sells them for 21 c/w. After shipping and 15% import tax that's closer to 30 - 35 c/w plus importer margin.

The more I think about this the more disingenuous this seems that he says these are manufactured in the USA. From the comments people are also already being misled thinking these are made in the USA. QCELL is spending millions of dollars building actual manufacturing facilities to build 100% of the solar panel from components they manufactured themselves or from companies in North America (such as the glass from a Canadian manufacturer).

I didn't realize everything in the
BOM came from China, I thought most was was sourced in the US.
Heck no.. Those boxes of encapsulate in the video were all imported. Here is info about QCELL and the encapsulate manufacturing plant they are building in Georgia and will be the only such facility in the USA making that.. so by default everyone else is importing that.

Everything they are using was all imported. It sort of ticks me off then because it downplays the company(s) that are actually doing the right thing and trying to make the panels fully within the USA.

Heck no.. Those boxes of encapsulate in the video were all imported. Here is info about QCELL and the encapsulate manufacturing plant they are building in Georgia and will be the only such facility in the USA making that.. so by default everyone else is importing that.
Thanks for setting me straight.
I know all about those EVA shortages... They screwed up the automotive supply chain royally.

Even in the USA v China section they don't mention anything about US sourced components ? https://www.kbsolar.us/home/made-in-usa-vs-china

Their website goes a step further and specifically says "Made in the USA". This appears to be in non-compliance with the FTC rules and can have enforcement action against them.

Here is the FTC site explaining this:

And this relevant info:
Screenshot 2023-07-07 at 5.34.02 PM.png

So will they be manufacturing all components for the cells here in the US?

Importing only raw material?

So will they be manufacturing all components for the cells here in the US?

Importing only raw material?
Last I read the glass will be from Canada. Wasn't sure if they will switch to someone who can do the glass in the USA. But raw materials will even be from USA. QCELL (company name is actually Hanwha and South Korea based) acquired https://recsilicon.com/ which already has two manufacturing facilities in USA for the solar grade polysilicon.

I'm running 18 315w Q cells of unknown age that were made in Korea and they perform great. I'd buy Hanwha without hesitation.

Attachments

• IMG_20221223_083216__01__01.jpg
    IMG_20221223_083216__01__01.jpg
    366.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20221023_124702.jpg
    IMG_20221023_124702.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20221015_180913.jpg
    IMG_20221015_180913.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 8
My 325 watt Q Cells came from eBay. They're 72 cell panels salvaged from a commercial installation and work great. I paid $110 each and about $400 to have ten of them shipped to Pennsylvania from Florida. My only regret is that i didn't buy 10 or 15 more of them.

this is how the japanese car company's made hugh profits in the USA.
import "parts" and do final assembly in the USA with 100% imported japanese made parts.
and at first said "made in the USA", till they were sued and now only say assembled in.

Everything they are using was all imported. It sort of ticks me off then because it downplays the company(s) that are actually doing the right thing and trying to make the panels fully within the USA.
now where have i heard that before ?
manufactorers claiming "made in USA" is becoming more prevalent in the solar business

You have to actually report it to the FTC before they take any action. They don't actively seek out and police these claims without reports from people.

Back