diy solar

diy solar

Makes me want to buy more panels. US manufacturing process.

You have to actually report it to the FTC before they take any action. They don't actively seek out and police these claims without reports from people.
That should be sufficient, as long as they actually follow up. Competitors have a strong incentive to report offenders.

You have to actually report it to the FTC before they take any action. They don't actively seek out and police these claims without reports from people.
are you saying the ftc is not in with other alphabets agency's.
out of control buying up guns and turning them selves into a military police group?

this is how the japanese car company's made hugh profits in the USA.
import "parts" and do final assembly in the USA with 100% imported japanese made parts.
and at first said "made in the USA", till they were sued and now only say assembled in.

Pendulum has swung. Now, Honda and Tesla have the top 10 models with the highest % US content while the US automakers are importing parts and entire vehicles from Mexico.

Sigh...
These things take time. In order to get a manufacturer of Cell wafers to start a mega factory in the USA you first need someone who is going to buy the Cells. The Factory in the Video is a great start, and as time passes they will no doubt find US suppliers to fill in all the Gaps.
That was the reason the Solar Tariffs were paused until 2024. They need to give the companies time to build the factories to make the individual components.

The inevitability of all of this is very clear in the video. Notice how there are almost no workers in the factory. The only advantage China has over the USA in making products cheaper is cheap labor.

Heliene Canada are in the news here, they are building a PV and Wafer plant in MN - to take advantage of the new credits offered in the IRA.
They already have PV assembly plants in Ontario, and Iron Mountain-MN. They say in the news release that making the wafers will add an extra 10% to the incentives they will get.
Glad to see N.American suppliers investing in the technology, more local manufactuers sounds good to me.
I expect they are not the only company moving to make the basic components, and not just assembly.
In NW Ontario there are three or four new lithium mines opening, already a ton of people working on nickel and rare earth metals in the region. It will only be a matter of time and these expanding N.American based supplies will turn into N.American built batteries. I hear from others that some Lithium cell factories are being built in the US in TX and SC, supposed to be one for VW in Southern Ontario.
It's coming, I can feel it.

Heliene Canada are in the news here, they are building a PV and Wafer plant in MN - to take advantage of the new credits offered in the IRA.
They already have PV assembly plants in Ontario, and Iron Mountain-MN.
Strange that I've never heard of this. This assembly plant must be same thing KB Solar is doing and importing all the components? Heliene states "Made in North America" which has no legal definition at least unlike the "Made in America" which KB Solar claims (and as far as I can tell is non compliant with that designation).

Oh, and interestingly the Reuters article about this confirms again "There is no current U.S. supply of polysilicon-based cells.". So KB Solar can not possibly make their "Made in America" claim.

Premium Mono-Crystalline Solar Panels​

(Although that is not to say the cells are made in America.)

"Made in the USA: Our solar panels are proudly manufactured in Spartanburg, South Carolina, ensuring premium quality and adherence to stringent industry standards."

A few decades ago I did IT work for a lighting manufacturer. Everything, every single component was brought in from China, sometimes entire assemblies were brought in where only a few components needed adding to finish off the product. They were tagged "Made in the USA".

I one time asked the owner about a limited edition series they were running. I asked how many they were limited to? He said "It's limited to as many as we can sell"

Always shenanigans.

Great video of panel manufacturing at KB Solar.
It's reassuring to see manufacturing in the states and within a days drive...

2 minute mark if you don't want the intro.
Well.... just checked the website, you can now buy these for .50/w!

Since someone just commented on the video that they had blurred out all the markings on the boxes (since they didn't want you to see they were from China). But they missed one of the shots:
Screenshot 2023-09-03 at 4.31.25 PM.png

Low and behold it is https://betterial.cn/

It is one thing to say you don't care where they are made.. it is another thing to outright deceive your customers who actually value the "Made in America" statement and think they are buying an American made product when in fact they are still sending most of the money back to China. I would have no issues if they simply said "Assembled in America" which many companies correctly do. Made in America legally has an entirely different meaning which they are flagrantly abusing.

Since someone just commented on the video that they had blurred out all the markings on the boxes (since they didn't want you to see they were from China). But they missed one of the shots:
View attachment 165864

It is one thing to say you don't care where they are made.. it is another thing to outright deceive your customers who actually value the "Made in America" statement and think they are buying an American made product when in fact they are still sending most of the money back to China. I would have no issues if they simply said "Assembled in America" which many companies correctly do. Made in America legally has an entirely different meaning which they are flagrantly abusing.
Good catch

View attachment 165864

Agreed but what are you going to do?

What is the alternative?

If there was a plant that made Solar panels exclusively from US sourced materials I would buy them regardless of cost.
Not sure everyone would considering some of the comments I have seen on here.

In the end I agree but you still need the panels and if you buy anywhere else you are still paying china.

At least these guys are close to me and do provide some jobs to Americans.
They are a good value also.

Back