diy solar

diy solar

More scooter battery fires

Crowz

Solar Wizard
I always make sure I charge my scooter during the day while awake just in case.

Since this can happen....

So these batteries are different than our LiFePo4 batteries and EV car batteries, right?
If you don’t want to sign up for fox try here.

So these batteries are different than our LiFePo4 batteries and EV car batteries, right?
If you don’t want to sign up for fox try here.

Mostly.

Typically NCA 18650 cells. Best power density (lightest), commonly available in high C rates and... as flammable as it gets.

IIRC, Older Model S Tesla modules typically use NCA. Many other manufacturers using prismatic cells use NMC or NMC/LMO.

NMC is the "safest" of the unsafe, but still WAY more dangerous than LFP.

LFP fires can be extinguished since they don't generate their own oxygen. The other Lithium-ions generate their own oxygen as they're breaking down.

I wonder if it's a BMS issue, lack of thermal protection. Lack of BMS communication with the charger.

My 18v makita batteries get abused like there's no tomorrow and are often almost too hot to hold after coming off my chainsaw, at that point they cannot be charged until they've cooled down which demonstrates the thermal protection is working.

Last edited:
trying to safely charge batteries is like watching paint dry.

i hate even hooking up my NOCO to my car in my garage and walking away.

I wonder if it's a BMS issue, lack of thermal protection. Lack of BMS communication with the charger.

My 18v makita batteries get abused like there's no tomorrow and are often almost too hot to hold after coming off my chainsaw, at that point they cannot be charged until they've cooled down which demonstrates the thermal protection is working.
True Maktia branded batteries or cheap knock off batteries as found in these scooters?

Everyone remember the Samsung note 7 issues?

True Maktia branded batteries or cheap knock off batteries as found in these scooters?

Everyone remember the Samsung note 7 issues?

I only own genuine makita batteries which have samsung cells. I have seen non-genuine makita batteries advertised without thermal protection, I reckon they'd be like a grenade in your hand.

Difference is Makita has a brand reputation to keep. These cheapo Chinese knockoffs and fly by night scooter companies don't, and don't care.

Back