diy solar

diy solar

MPP LV6548 Ground/Neutral Safety?

Does anyone have a "clear" (non blurry) picture of where the bonding screw is located in the LV6548?
the only source I've found is a blurry pic of an email in a video.... I'm wiring my dual LV6548s as followsView attachment 99073
Does anyone have a "clear" (non blurry) picture of where the bonding screw is located in the LV6548?
the only source I've found is a blurry pic of an email in a video.... I'm wiring my dual LV6548s as followsView attachment 99073
I have a system you will find helpful. https://diysolarforum.com/threads/m...epo4-battery-14-kw-pv-array.32343/post-486853

Beautiful! (Nice system btw) I thought it was that screw since it was labeled with a ground symbol, I just wanted to make absolutely sure. I literally searched the forums, google images, etc for over an hour and sent emails to Ian@Watts24.

ok, I'm stealing your pic and posting here for others looking for the same info.
Key Search words: bonding, screw, n-g, LV6548, ground, confused, confirmed, dead horse, finally sleeping well.

DD05BC6D-8339-48DC-AE42-C1F981B56C5C.jpeg

Beautiful! (Nice system btw) I thought it was that screw since it was labeled with a ground symbol, I just wanted to make absolutely sure. I literally searched the forums, google images, etc for over an hour and sent emails to Ian@Watts24.

ok, I'm stealing your pic and posting here for others looking for the same info.
Key Search words: bonding, screw, n-g, LV6548, ground, confused, confirmed, dead horse, finally sleeping well.

View attachment 99177
I have a video that covers exactly where this screw is with pictures. Starts at 2:17 :

@Will Prowse

Is 45.07 still the most recent firmware version (as of today 29 JUN 22)? Where were you able to find that firmware download you supplied in post #186 ?

Thanks!

Familiarize yourself with grounding systems and energy distribution systems (T-NC, T-NC-S, T-NS, TT) then it all is not that difficult

I have a video that covers exactly where this screw is with pictures. Starts at 2:17 :

if there is a bond in the unit, then it is configured to work as "power delivery device" and there should be grounding rod directly at the unit. The connection line between the inverter and the panel has to be treated as power transmission line. Same thing when your house runs the wires from the pole transformer to your house. Usually (in good installations) the transformer will be grounded directly at the pole where it is located, I can show you a picture...

if there is a bond in the unit, then it is configured to work as "power delivery device" and there should be grounding rod directly at the unit. The connection line between the inverter and the panel has to be treated as power transmission line. Same thing when your house runs the wires from the pole transformer to your house. Usually (in good installations) the transformer will be grounded directly at the pole where it is located, I can show you a picture...

With exceptions. For example, what about systems that are physically connected to the grid but are providing their own power (island mode) unless the battery runs out (presumably meaning the inverter and corresponding output panel have an uninterruptible connection to the ground already provided on-site via the grid connection)? Or mobile installations (obviously RVs don't have an earth ground while islanded)?

With exceptions. For example, what about systems that are physically connected to the grid but are providing their own power (island mode) unless the battery runs out (presumably meaning the inverter and corresponding output panel have an uninterruptible connection to the ground already provided on-site via the grid connection)? Or mobile installations (obviously RVs don't have an earth ground while islanded)?
you cant have island mode and be physically connected to the grid. there is either an ATS or you have no island mode. RVs have no ground and should not be running devices that are configured to _require_ a ground (do not mix that up! folks may be using devices not made for the purpose, but this does not mean it is used in the intended manner)

RV's can have a ground. If a N/G bond connection is made. But, this connection will need to be broken. Whenever connected to shore power.
This can be accomplished with a simple relay.

RV's can have a ground. If a N/G bond connection is made. But, this connection will need to be broken. Whenever connected to shore power.
This can be accomplished with a simple relay.
easily for example with Victron Multiplus + Victron autotransformer. It is discussed in their manual

you cant have island mode and be physically connected to the grid. there is either an ATS or you have no island mode. RVs have no ground and should not be running devices that are configured to _require_ a ground (do not mix that up! folks may be using devices not made for the purpose, but this does not mean it is used in the intended manner)

Inverters and ATS' (at least RV ATS) don't make/break upstream ground so while physically connected to shore but providing power, there is a connection to earth ground. That said, it's not typical for an inverter to be the power provider while connected to shore, but I do this sometimes (with Victron's AC input control set to connect to shore if the SoC goes below a threshold).

As for RV's having earth ground (while disconnected from shore) -- yes of course they *can* have it but virtually none do. I'm not talking about NG bond at all.

I'm trying to be clearer about the concept of "you must have an earth ground if the inverter is providing power (independent of the grid)" for other readers here.

Edit: to be sure it's clear, when I say "earth ground" I mean a rod in the ground local to the power source.

Inverters and ATS' (at least RV ATS) don't make/break upstream ground so while physically connected to shore but providing power, there is a connection to earth ground. That said, it's not typical for an inverter to be the power provider while connected to shore, but I do this sometimes (with Victron's AC input control set to connect to shore if the SoC goes below a threshold).
I said: you need ATS for island mode. NOT: ATS breaks the ground...

I said: you need ATS for island mode. NOT: ATS breaks the ground...

Gotcha; I assume the "ATS" to which you refer can be built-in like it is in the Quattro. It disconnects from L1, L2, and N and bonds GN, inverts, and I become an island, even though I'm physically connected to shore. By doing so, I benefit from having an earth ground. But I don't have to be, and I'd have no earth ground.
Ahh... I think I see the confusion; by "physically connected to grid/shore" I meant that I'm plugged in ... not that I have an electrical connection to L1/L2/N (because the Quattro disconnects).
Whew! Terminology. As my Dad always says, "It's only English...." :ROFLMAO:

As for RV's having earth ground (while disconnected from shore) -- yes of course they *can* have it but virtually none do. I'm not talking about NG bond at all.

I'm trying to be clearer about the concept of "you must have an earth ground if the inverter is providing power (independent of the grid)" for other readers here.

Edit: to be sure it's clear, when I say "earth ground" I mean a rod in the ground local to the power source.
Earth connection is an addition to the grounding system. The grounding system is created by, and originates at the N/G bond. The purpose of the grounding system is to create a low impedance path back to the source of power. So that a breaker or fuse will clear a fault. While it's better to also have an Earth connection. Not having an Earth connection on a mobile installation, is better than not having any grounding system.

Gotcha; I assume the "ATS" to which you refer can be built-in like it is in the Quattro. It disconnects from L1, L2, and N and bonds GN, inverts, and I become an island, even though I'm physically connected to shore. By doing so, I benefit from having an earth ground. But I don't have to be, and I'd have no earth ground.
Ahh... I think I see the confusion; by "physically connected to grid/shore" I meant that I'm plugged in ... not that I have an electrical connection to L1/L2/N (because the Quattro disconnects).
Whew! Terminology. As my Dad always says, "It's only English...." :ROFLMAO:
"physical connection" has no meaning if there is no electrical connection. same if you just plug in an empty plug

I have read this whole thread and it was a fun trip. I put of up a couple LV6548's split phase with 280AH/48v of battery more or less as a UPS. The solution for grid attached (not as in feeding the grid but as in having grid priority) seems to just be to remove one bonding screw and make sure you're running on the latest firmware (if you don't give a crap about warranty). I don't think warranty is an issue because I'm not shipping one back to Taiwan if it breaks anyhow. I won't be using any solar right now but if my power outage stretches too long I'll just charge the batteries off a gen. I'm building a wood gasifier for the generator, that might end up being my eco friendly solar equivalent.

My thoughts if you do it like am... clearly label the inverter with the ground neutral bond removed and tape the screw on the side with guerilla tape in a ziplock with the printed location picture in case some poor bugger comes along behind you and wonders what's going on or tries to change/use them as standalone units or what have you. Test the unit standalone to make sure it's working out of the box before even bothering to mount or open it. Trust no commentary, test everything for yourself - clamp meters and multi meters are dirt cheap.

Everything else is already in the electrical code.

I'm running a sub panel with my critical loads (water pump, propane furnace, pellet stove, random household circuits for lights and light appliances like coffee maker and microwave , TV and networking). As a bonus I actually get some upgrades like AFCI to the bedrooms and such from the subpanel. (It was cheaper to buy an entrance panel and just remove the ground neutral bond because it included all the breakers I wanted anyhow). My clothes dryer and convection oven (I have a propane range) aren't really very critical to me considering our outages are a day or less on average with the most annoying ones being five seconds in the middle of day several times a day for no known reason. Peak loads I have measured (not including the dryer and oven) do not ever get close to what this layout can deliver during our daily use.

I sure appreciated everyone who had something to say here. Took a while but I feel very clear on the issue so thanks to everyone who added to this discussion.

YMMV
Mark

Back