diy solar

diy solar

My power wall

falgsc-al

Reorganizing upstairs in my 400sq ft barn-house. Planning to loft my bed and have a closet underneath, so have been rearranging everything. Also just got my newest cells, 302ah grade "A" (but really B at best) built into a pack (8s4p). Very happy with the outcome! Still have to wire the tired BYD packs in. Crazy the difference in size between the BYDs (5.6kwh ea when new) and the new cells.

Attachments

• 81DD6096-7644-48F4-93CC-65E6F3B9C6A7.jpeg
    81DD6096-7644-48F4-93CC-65E6F3B9C6A7.jpeg
    631.7 KB · Views: 124
  • 585CA4C9-2B51-4A86-A264-E8EED4F845F6.jpeg
    585CA4C9-2B51-4A86-A264-E8EED4F845F6.jpeg
    343.8 KB · Views: 124
  • F35790A1-409C-4402-9D83-502CC270799F.jpeg
    F35790A1-409C-4402-9D83-502CC270799F.jpeg
    252.9 KB · Views: 125
Amazing job! Nice to add a smoke alarm for accidents prevention. I hope it all works well :)
Please give us basic info about the whole system, I see a BMS, MPPT's and other equipment.

Thank you! Has been an ongoing project.

As for the rest of the crew,

250A SouthROL BMS (Daly clone)
2x Epever 8420AN MPPT controllers - 2kw and 2.5kw arrays @250w-2s4p and 2s5p
3500w/7k surge Edecoa inverter

I see a few red flags here.

Wood floor, I assume this is in a knee wall area of the home, so any issues and it will take out the house…
What are you doing for fuses?
What is that strapping on the cells? It looks like plumbers strap… that is plated iron. I hope you aren’t using that for bussbars…

hi!
wow, that's a lot of power in a small space. hehe theres a person for scale :)

with some changes, the expected long term operational safety characteristics might be increased

1644841901896.png
gently, spot looks like trouble waiting to happen

not sure where to source new busbar, perhaps someone has a link for a reasonable deal

thanks for posting; wishing to see this build shine ☀️?

I am looking for bus bars so yes there is some plumbing strap used here for now. Ive run my maximum current through it as it is now and checked for temp rise, barely noticeable. Never intended it to be permanent I just ran out of bus bars while my power was down. There are actually 3 pieces stacked there. Trying to locate 110 copper flat bar but prob will have to order. Ive had worse close calls with CCA wire that melted, which Ive gotten rid of.

As far as the floor yes its in the plywood, I did choose fire retardant drywall however so that should help. Was debating a piece of concrete backer board to go under.

And yes small space! However I have no other place to put it that is climate controlled. We get too cold to keep them outside.

I got fuses in today, still waiting for bus bars

Attachments

• C75C14DF-23EA-426B-9CC5-B296EBF31B86.jpeg
    C75C14DF-23EA-426B-9CC5-B296EBF31B86.jpeg
    217 KB · Views: 13
I can't speak to it being a "reasonable deal" but for most things they are pretty competitive and the ability to filter by the exact dimension you are looking for is one of my favorite features. https://www.mcmaster.com/bar-stock/shape~sheet-and-bar/material~copper/
I have already ordered from Midwest Steel Supply, but got an email about a 14 day backlog. They are cutting everything to the length I need before sending. McMaster was going to cost about 30% more and I would've been cutting them myself.

I have already ordered from Midwest Steel Supply, but got an email about a 14 day backlog. They are cutting everything to the length I need before sending. McMaster was going to cost about 30% more and I would've been cutting them myself.
That's good intel. Still it takes a lot to get me to order from a supplier I'm not familiar with. Too much money and time on the line (I'm in the energy business) to make an order only to discover that it's 14 days out after I've already placed the order. It's exceptionally uncommon for anything from McMaster to not be here in 2 days with standard shipping and we usually get until around 5:30 PM to submit the order. IE: something ordered at 5PM on Monday is here on Wednesday and about $8 shipping.

McMaster is a fantastic company and a great place to go just to research available parts and materials in great detail, as their website and app are are absolutely astounding. They said, they are extremely expensive, and in almost all cases you can find better deals, particularly on raw materials from other well established online vendors.

McMaster is a fantastic company and a great place to go just to research available parts and materials in great detail, as their website and app are are absolutely astounding. They said, they are extremely expensive, and in almost all cases you can find better deals, particularly on raw materials from other well established online vendors.
We find them to be close enough on pricing that it's not worth the time to shop elsewhere for most items. We're a business "time is money" and so forth. Would I buy cordless drill or an extension cord from them? Heck no! And you are so right about the treasure chest of information to be gleaned from their website. Thanks for the heads up on the app!

Back