diy solar

diy solar

My Seplos Mason 10.5kWh Battery Pack Have Arived!

Interesting... Deye supports Pylontech over RS485. Seplos talks Pylontech protocol. Deye support Seplos over CAN. Just to point out some interesting facts. hehehe

Talking to Deye over CAN or RS485?
The first pack is connected with CAN to the inverter, second pack to the first with RS425. I might try and use parallel CAN too, this is selectable on the BMS DIP switches, but needs some sort of connection box which I’ve not got my head around just yet. Though daisy chained packs are tidy to. I’ll spend more time on this when the next 4 packs arrive.

Interesting... Deye supports Pylontech over RS485. Seplos talks Pylontech protocol. Deye support Seplos over CAN. Just to point out some interesting facts. hehehe
i know, but their rs485 implementation is rather new.
anyway up to you, do what you want

A follow up!

A progress report.

-2 Mason DIY units and 32 batteries ordered and paid for 7th June 2022
-Shipping confirmation received 28th June 2022
-Arrived at my door (UK) 8th August 2022

They are now assembled and in operation. The cells are not the cheapest by any means but the quality looks very good and they came with a full cell by cell test sheet for voltage and internal resistance.
The first unit took me about about 4 hours to assemble, but that included getting set up and looking for tools etc (where is my M2.5 hex screwdriver bit....). The second took 2 hours.

The units talk to my Deye inverter just fine, and everything needed was in the kit. Assembly instructions are basic but clear and there is a video available too which is helpful. All in all a good experience start to finish.

Just about to order 4 more units if Henry can offer me the right price!
I'm based in the UK and about to pull the trigger on a Sunsynk (Deye) 8kW and think I will go for the for the Seplos kit and getting the batteries from Amy at Luyuan. I will occasionally discharge the 280ah batteries at 160ah, to get to the full 8kW. Do Seplos ask you to specify which BMS is included in the kit? I want a 200ah that can talk to Sunsynk / Deye. How useful do you find the communication? My other option is to buy a cheaper Luyuan complete kit with a 200ah JK BMS, which can't communicate, but can balance 280ah cells and has Bluetooth. The JK BMS is $100 cheaper.

Henry of Seplos sent me this video of their new improved packaging:

Are you happy with your Deye inverter? Is it's self consumption high? Some have reported 200wh. Did you set up signal island mode using a relay to create an earth neutral bond?

I'm based in the UK and about to pull the trigger on a Sunsynk (Deye) 8kW and think I will go for the for the Seplos kit and getting the batteries from Amy at Luyuan. I will occasionally discharge the 280ah batteries at 160ah, to get to the full 8kW. Do Seplos ask you to specify which BMS is included in the kit? I want a 200ah that can talk to Sunsynk / Deye. How useful do you find the communication? My other option is to buy a cheaper Luyuan complete kit with a 200ah JK BMS, which can't communicate, but can balance 280ah cells and has Bluetooth. The JK BMS is $100 cheaper.

Are you happy with your Deye inverter? Is it's self consumption high? Some have reported 200wh. Did you set up signal island mode using a relay to create an earth neutral bond?
Some good questions.

Firstly I’ve not monitored the self consumption yet, but I’ll try and get some numbers on that.
Secondly I’ve not sorted out the Earth-neutral relay in backup mode yet either. The inverter is the 3 phase 12 kW model, currently unavailable in the UK as a Sunsynk but the manual says it has a built in relay for E-N. However it isn’t clear how to select it’s operation, perhaps you can help me. Currently in backup mode doesn’t connect neutral to Earth.
The choice of bms never really came up, I think the 280 Mason kits get shipped with the 200A version.
And how useful the comms? Well I guess the only benefit is bms control of the charging rate. Having said that I’m operating in the 10-90 % range so not sure how important that is.

Ask seplos to send the box to Amy, and ask Amy to send the cells and the box

Well I guess the only benefit is bms control of the charging rate.
It's also nice for reporting into your system (f.ex i can see state of charge in my Conext InsightHome without having to put eyes on the battery) and further to that, can set state of charge triggers for our auto generator starter (f.ex start when battery is at 20% and turn off at 80%, or whatever)

Some good questions.

Firstly I’ve not monitored the self consumption yet, but I’ll try and get some numbers on that.
Secondly I’ve not sorted out the Earth-neutral relay in backup mode yet either. The inverter is the 3 phase 12 kW model, currently unavailable in the UK as a Sunsynk but the manual says it has a built in relay for E-N. However it isn’t clear how to select it’s operation, perhaps you can help me. Currently in backup mode doesn’t connect neutral to Earth.
The choice of bms never really came up, I think the 280 Mason kits get shipped with the 200A version.
And how useful the comms? Well I guess the only benefit is bms control of the charging rate. Having said that I’m operating in the 10-90 % range so not sure how important that is.
Keith the CEO of Sunsynk has posted a few videos on earth neutral bond when disconnected from the grid. I've linked them below. My understanding is RCDs won't work if there is no earth neutral bond and you become the earthing rod if there is a problem. I'm a novice so I might be talking rubbish. Just been doing my calculations, 14.6kw for £2200 sounds good to me. I also intend running them at 10 to 90 %. I was going to set them to 160A max discharge, so they are capable of meeting the inverters 8kW rating. Is that too aggressive? My impression is it would be hard for me to cock up the Seplos Mason build, I would have more opportunity with the Luyuan one.

Post in thread 'How does your inverter deal with ground.' https://diysolarforum.com/threads/how-does-your-inverter-deal-with-ground.17138/post-585307

Keith the CEO of Sunsynk has posted a few videos on earth neutral bond when disconnected from the grid. I've linked them below. My understanding is RCDs won't work if there is no earth neutral bond and you become the earthing rod if there is a problem. I'm a novice so I might be talking rubbish. Just been doing my calculations, 14.6kw for £2200 sounds good to me. I also intend running them at 10 to 90 %. I was going to set them to 160A max discharge, so they are capable of meeting the inverters 8kW rating. Is that too aggressive? My impression is it would be hard for me to cock up the Seplos Mason build, I would have more opportunity with the Luyuan one.

Post in thread 'How does your inverter deal with ground.' https://diysolarforum.com/threads/how-does-your-inverter-deal-with-ground.17138/post-585307
I’ve just spent a bit more time investigating the Earth-Neutral link question on the 12kW Deye. I can know get it to use the internal relay by checking the ‘signal island mode’ on the advanced menu.
I think I understand the need to connect Earth to Neutral when in island mode after an electrician friend of mine explained it to me 3 times… :
In the UK it is common to have just two wires (or 4 if three phase) coming in from the grid supply, live and neutral. At the supply transformer the neutral is earthed by an Earth stake. At the ‘cut out’ the suppliers fuses, and Earth is provided for consumer use by a connection to the neutral. This is a so said TN-C-S earthing system. One of the reasons that the imverter may be operating in Backup or island mode is that the grid supply is absent because the conductors have been severed. If the main incoming neutral is missing then the supply earth isn’t connected to anything. This is called a PEN fault. The inverter is happily supplying power to the load without an operational earth therefore. So in backup mode two things must be present, an independent earth and a connection of earth to neutral so that any leakage of current to earth can be detected by RCCBs. Hence the need for a separate earth stake to the inverter and the relay.
What I’m yet to have explained to me is why the earth isn’t switched over from the TN-C-S supplied earth to the earth stake to form a completely independent TT earth system when operating in backup mode.

I’ve just spent a bit more time investigating the Earth-Neutral link question on the 12kW Deye. I can know get it to use the internal relay by checking the ‘signal island mode’ on the advanced menu.
I think I understand the need to connect Earth to Neutral when in island mode after an electrician friend of mine explained it to me 3 times… :
In the UK it is common to have just two wires (or 4 if three phase) coming in from the grid supply, live and neutral. At the supply transformer the neutral is earthed by an Earth stake. At the ‘cut out’ the suppliers fuses, and Earth is provided for consumer use by a connection to the neutral. This is a so said TN-C-S earthing system. One of the reasons that the imverter may be operating in Backup or island mode is that the grid supply is absent because the conductors have been severed. If the main incoming neutral is missing then the supply earth isn’t connected to anything. This is called a PEN fault. The inverter is happily supplying power to the load without an operational earth therefore. So in backup mode two things must be present, an independent earth and a connection of earth to neutral so that any leakage of current to earth can be detected by RCCBs. Hence the need for a separate earth stake to the inverter and the relay.
What I’m yet to have explained to me is why the earth isn’t switched over from the TN-C-S supplied earth to the earth stake to form a completely independent TT earth system when operating in backup mode.
When the Deye cuts off from grid and goes in to island mode regs say it must disconnect from the DNO electricity suppliers earth. The DNO does not want any outside current flowing into what it believes is a dead system which it's workers may be fixing. What I find strange that Deye do not have the relay and earth neutral bond already fitted in the inverter. I have an EV charger with an earthing rod already fitted in the garage, close to where the inverter would go. Trying to work out if I can use that. I wonder how many electricians would understand the specific Deye earthing requirements? I am concerned about nusance RCD tripping after the work is done. Some remove RCDs after the cause can't be traced. I intend putting everthing on the load terminal and having the ability to operate when the grid is down, so I am going to have fit a relay and use an earthing rod. I am on Octopus Intellegent 7.5 pence 2330 to 0530 and 40p the rest of the time. I would save £1000 this year if I install batteries. Even more now gas is higher than 7.5p. I fitted a timer to my electric immersion heater today, not using the gas boiler to heat the water anymore. I'm wondering if I should build two batteries and use electric heaters instead of gas central heating, but I use 20,000 kW of gas a year. Most probably 100kWh per day in winter. Charging from 10% to 90% means I need to buy ten battery kits, total weight 1.2 tons, to switch to battery powered heating.

There is a very detail discussion on Deye, Sunsync, Solar Ark grounding in UPS mode in this thread

Could you please give me Amy's contact?

I was talking about Amy Wan, contact is on this forum

I'm interested if someone has connected the Seplos in Parallel with a bus bar and then to inverter. What size of bus bar? What did you buy and from where? I have seen this and would like to do the same with 4 pcs of 6.9kw Mason in parallel
Screenshot_20220307-104004_WhatsApp_remastered.jpg

I'm interested if someone has connected the Seplos in Parallel with a bus bar and then to inverter. What size of bus bar? What did you buy and from where? I have seen this and would like to do the same with 4 pcs of 6.9kw Mason in parallel
View attachment 113436
seplos has a low cost busbar solution, for up to 6 batteries.

He's talking about replacing the parallel cables with busbars, look at the image he posted :) Looks really clean/slick!
ha ok, ;-) it looks nice but I see 2 problems with this.
#1 if you don't have breaker on each battery, how are you going to do emergency switch off of the battery.
#2 if you need to do some maintenance on a battery you have to turn off everything.

I still prefer the flexibility of seplos solution. ;-)

Back