diy solar

diy solar

New All in One: MPP LVX6048WP (UL certified)

In the EU model MPI 12-15kW WP there is a pic with Energy Meter - RS485
Page 22:

Weird is that US model has AC coupled function and EU model does not (in the MPP Solar site function list)
Even more weird, is i have been searching the manual for AC coupling, but the manual sucks, and I have not found anything in the GUI or the manual. I am hoping Ian from Watts247.com puts out a video on the functions.
I am still waiting for delivery, so I should know more once received.

Even more weird, is i have been searching the manual for AC coupling, but the manual sucks, and I have not found anything in the GUI or the manual. I am hoping Ian from Watts247.com puts out a video on the functions.
I am still waiting for delivery, so I should know more once received.

I searched it too (in both manual) and found this function only in US model:
38 - Ac output coupling

But for the US model there is even a pic in the the MPP Solar site about AC coupling (not in the EU model):

accoupling_normal.jpg

More weirdness ...
US model has:
36 External CT function

EU model does not have this menu point.
But it has a pic with the Energy Meter and RS-485 connection.

Last edited:
I searched it too (in both manual) and did not found anything related to this function

But for the US model there is even a pic in the the MPP Solar site about AC coupling (not in the EU model):

accoupling_normal.jpg
I am not sure if the way they use the term "AC Coupling" is the normal technical meaning. They seem to have an internal relay on the AC side (manual does not explain it though) for input and output functions, based on the grid tie level used programatically. It does test the input frequency and voltage levels though, as there are error codes when they are out of spec. I need to do a lot of testing once my units arrive.

I am not sure if the way they use the term "AC Coupling" is the normal technical meaning. They seem to have an internal relay on the AC side (manual does not explain it though) for input and output functions, based on the grid tie level used programatically. It does test the input frequency and voltage levels though, as there are error codes when they are out of spec. I need to do a lot of testing once my units arrive.

The Pic shows a normal AC coupled system :)
Deye/Sol-ark can do it. It would be great if MPP Solar can do it too.

So the differences in the menu:
Only EU version has:
35 - N/G relay close in battery mode

Only US version has:
36 - External CT function Disable (default) Enable
37 - PV parallel Disable(default) Enable
38 - Ac output coupling

The Pic shows a normal AC coupled system :)
Deye/Sol-ark can do it. It would be great if MPP Solar can do it too.

So the differences in the menu:
Only EU version has:
35 - N/G relay close in battery mode

Only US version has:
36 - External CT function Disable (default) Enable
37 - PV parallel Disable(default) Enable
38 - Ac output coupling
Thanks! You found it for me! Its mode 36 and 38! This will be fun to test....

In the EU model MPI 12-15kW WP there is a pic with Energy Meter - RS485
Page 22:

Weird is that US model has AC coupled function and EU model does not (in the MPP Solar site function list)
Seems like that energy meter should allow the inverter (when in grid tie mode) to zero the grid usage. I’d really like to see more info regarding the modbus card and how that all works. I’ve heard of inverters using an energy meter to do limiting to grid. The SolArk and the GTIL2s (and manyother inverters) only use Cts, no external energy meter needed.

Seems like that energy meter should allow the inverter (when in grid tie mode) to zero the grid usage. I’d really like to see more info regarding the modbus card and how that all works. I’ve heard of inverters using an energy meter to do limiting to grid. The SolArk and the GTIL2s (and manyother inverters) only use Cts, no external energy meter needed.

SolarEdge and Huawei use external energy meters too.
But I think that is only a CT too (with some electronics to put the result into RS485)

I searched it too (in both manual) and found this function only in US model:
38 - Ac output coupling

accoupling_normal.jpg

More weirdness ...
US model has:
36 External CT function

EU model does not have this menu point.
But it has a pic with the Energy Meter and RS-485 connection.
Where are you seeing 36 external Ct function? Found it nvm. I was looking at the UK manual

Last edited:
So it seems like this inverter will do limiting to the grid and will allow the battery to discharge into the grid/main panel loads.. I’m sold

Here some more photos of the inside of the lower part of the inverter. I noticed that there is a divider between the battery terminals. I remember Will P commenting that the lvx 6048 (non WP) did NOT have this and he felt it was not ideal.
1650946974036.jpeg

I am not sure what “CT”s are but when I opened up the top part of my unit I see what is circled in the photo. Hopefully that might help address the question???
View attachment 92617

CT's are really clamp meters.
They measure the Amps flowing through and give out a DC Volt. This (analog) Volt is measured on the other side, this is how it knows the current Amps flowing and its direction.

You have two + and - because you use split phase and have 2 CT's :)

So here the CT's Volt is converted into Amp values in the inverter

An energy meter is an outside converting an communication unit.
The same DC Volt comes in from the CT's and it converts them to Amp values.
But it also communicates this values into the inverter (digitally like RS485).
So it is better sometimes because you can have a longer distance between the inverter and the CT sensors.
(digital signal can travel higher distances while analog signal could be corrupted)

The 2 big white box in it are relays :)
DPDT - Dual pole dual throw relays to be exact.
Why double throw (like a transfer switch)? I do not know :D

So it seems like this inverter will do limiting to the grid and will allow the battery to discharge into the grid/main panel loads.. I’m sold

The US model is like a Sol-Ark/Deye. The software is not as flexible, but it can do all the main features.

The EU model is not much better as the previous was (produced for almost a decade). The AC coupling function would be a very big plus.

But the US model is 41kg and the EU model is 73 kg :eek: We will need 3 people to lift it to the wall ?

CT's are really clamp meters.
They measure the Amps flowing through and give out a DC Volt. This (analog) Volt is measured on the other side, this is how it knows the current Amps flowing and its direction.

You have two + and - because you use split phase and have 2 CT's :)

So here the CT's Volt is converted into Amp values in the inverter

An energy meter is an outside converting an communication unit.
The same DC Volt comes in from the CT's and it converts them to Amp values.
But it also communicates this values into the inverter (digitally like RS485).
So it is better sometimes because you can have a longer distance between the inverter and the CT sensors.
(digital signal can travel higher distances while analog signal could be corrupted)

The 2 big white box in it are relays :)
DPDT - Dual pole dual throw relays to be exact.
Why double throw (like a transfer switch)? I do not know :D
Any idea how much the energy meter sells for?

Any idea how much the energy meter sells for?

Energy meter:

MODBUS card for the MPI hybrid inverter:

MODBUS server if you have more inverters:

Energy meter:

MODBUS card for the MPI hybrid inverter:

MODBUS server if you have more inverters:
Does that energy meter have Cts inside of it, or do I need to also purchase Cts? I think I read in the manual that the inverter comes with an internal modbus card.

Last edited:
Does that energy meter have Cts inside of it, or do I need to also purchase Cts? I think I read in the manual that the inverter comes with an internal modbus card.

I think the Energy meter measures it internally. No outer CT is needed.

The MPP Solar MPI 10kW hybrid (Voltronic Infinisolar 10kW) comes with an empty slot.
There an SNMP or MODBUS card can be installed.

I think the Energy meter measures it internally. No outer CT is needed.

The MPP Solar MPI 10kW hybrid (Voltronic Infinisolar 10kW) comes with an empty slot.
There an SNMP or MODBUS card can be installed.
Do the grids wires have to go thru it? If Cts aren’t needed then what is the EX CT positive and negative ports for?

Do the grids wires have to go thru it? If Cts aren’t needed then what is the EX CT positive and negative ports for?

That is for the US version :)
The EU version uses Energy meter (with inner CT and RS485 communication to inverter).
The US version uses external CT's and direct cables to inverter.
This is maybe the only part where EU version is a bit better.

That is for the US version :)
The EU version uses Energy meter (with inner CT and RS485 communication to inverter).
The US version uses external CT's and direct cables to inverter.
This is maybe the only part where EU version is a bit better.
I’m in the US. The manual doesn’t talk at all (that I seen) about limiting the inverters output by using the Cts.

Back