diy solar

diy solar

New Daly "Smart" BMS w/ Communication. (80-250A)

I have been out a couple weeks (Mostly off-line & Off Grid). I expected the Daly Smart BMS to be waiting for me when I got home... but it wasn't. Went to AliExpress to track the package and the tracking page said 'Canceled by vendor'.

The interesting thing is that a month ago they sent me a message saying it had shipped. I was reading the comments from others and was regretting buying it but figured it was too late to cancel. Consequently, the bad news that they randomly canceled my order turns out to be good news (I hope). I have asked them to refund my money rather than ship a unit to me. They need to work out the bugs before I want to try it.

Like others, I am disappointed in how this line of BMS is turning out. I had high hopes because the 'Dumb Daly' BMS seems to be fairly solid (except for the low temp disconnect).

Oh well..... off to explore other options.
I punted and bought a BMS from Overkill Solar. When I wired it up I had issues which made me think I had a bad cell, but I had used the same harness from the Daly. Two of the leads had intermittent connections. So my Daly may actually work right but I'm not prepared to swap it out until I can get a good handle on how to communicate with it.

For +/- 15 years, I did the same.
Like said, the last 3-4 months, it's getting bad.

Depending on the quantity of orders you may have more or less problems.

With my larger quantity, I have more problems.

Lazada, Shopee, Bangood, all no problems.
AliExpress, loads.
And this is new.

Just this week i was going to buy 8 more CALB 200ah batteries to add to an existing bank.....
Messaged for availability, shipping etc, etc. All OK! Once i order and pay, Then they say they dont have those batteries and offer some other ones at higher shipping.

Last edited:
Just this week i was going to buy 8 more CALB 200ah batterieas to add to an existing bank.....
Messaged for availability, shipping etc, etc. All OK! Once i order and pay, Then they say they dont have those batteries and offer some other ones at higher shipping.

Dontcha just love bait and switch.?‍♂️

@Sunny Days ,

AliExpress or Alibaba?
Haomi, Billionaire lightning and Xuba are my personal favourite, in that order.

Here you find the links I've posted.
Xuba supposed to be "the best" I never ordered from her, but too high price and transport (double from Haomi)

Haomi was slow in response for my 280's, so I bought them from billionaire.
Cells are good, bus-bars crap :)
(Good at Haomi)

Can you share this software? I'm having no luck connecting to my new Daly SMART BMS on the RS 485 port and this thing is behaving strangely. When I put a load on it I get a lot of voltage drops. Putting a meter on the battery itself then the output from the BMS shows clearly that the BMS is throttling current for some reason.

I think the software I have is specific for 4S bms only. Happy to upload it here though - was going to do that anyway.

Attachments

• Sinowealth+BMS+Tool+Setup+V0.1(Temp).zip
    2.3 MB · Views: 235
Can you share this software? I'm having no luck connecting to my new Daly SMART BMS on the RS 485 port and this thing is behaving strangely. When I put a load on it I get a lot of voltage drops. Putting a meter on the battery itself then the output from the BMS shows clearly that the BMS is throttling current for some reason.

Also unsure if you're using the different model, but mine is RS232 so naturally it won't talk to RS485 port.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000902303901.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dLgcfxh 60A common port model from here.

I think the software I have is specific for 4S bms only. Happy to upload it here though - was going to do that anyway.

Thank you for the share.
Most software normally doesn't care about port protocol, you choose it it is rs485 or rs232 or canbus or other.
After that it communicate with the port on that protocol.

I haven't tried the software yet, naturally it can be 485 only.
Sinowealth seems to be communication chip maker.

I've put my BMS to the side and requested my money back.

It doesn't work!
when it goes into protection mode (I triggered it), the whole pre-charge thing needs to be done again with my inverter.

That makes it for me an useless product.

The 150A/125A charge BMS probably is available for sale soon in the other section of this forum.
Inverters that doesn't need pre-charge can work just fine.
Or if you don't mind to manually boot up the whole thing again, it's fine also.

Hi.
I received my Smart BMS 150 485 and 8 LiFe 280A.
This is my battery. At first sight it works.
I connected a laptop via RS485 adapter which is really cheap.
It works with DalyBMS(ver 1.1.5) program and with TOPBMS(ver 1.1.7) program.

To Fhorst: I think BMS writes an Error message when it disconnects from an inverter. What is the message?

Attachments

• IMG_20200708_124941.jpg
    IMG_20200708_124941.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 88
  • rBVaV1wV3pWAA2d-AADOYVJUdkg109.jpg
    rBVaV1wV3pWAA2d-AADOYVJUdkg109.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 83
I discharge the battery with constant current 90A. The BMS shows 60-120A. It looks strange.
Does anybody know the contact of a DALY engineer to talk to him?

Last edited:
I discharge the battery with constant current 90A. The BMS shows 60-120A. It looks strange.
Does anybody know the contact of a DALY engineer to talk to him?
What makes you think the current is constant? If connected to inverter then absolutely, not constant.

The battery is connected to an inverter. In this video I espetially showed the current meter. Yes, current depends on load and can be different. In this video load was constant and current was constant.

The BMS was indicating swaying charge and discharge current.
Today it shows correct current. Maybe the BMS needs some time for self-tuning.

Today I realized that current indicating is swaying when the inverter is working. If the charger is only working without inverter, current is correct.
And I see another problem. The BMS calculates wrong SOC (charge percentage). The BMS was programmed from factory to be working with 30Ah battery. I changed rated capacity in the BMS from 30 to 280Ah. It shows that new value is stored. But calculating SOC is still thinking that battery is 30Ah. It looks like firmware error.

It shows that new value is stored. But calculating SOC is still thinking that battery is 30Ah. It looks like firmware error.
You may need to reboot the BMS and/or fully charge your pack before the new setting kicks in. It may even take a couple of cycles.

Maybe you are right. We will see. I sent this information to a seller. Waiting for the answer.

Today I realized that current indicating is swaying when the inverter is working.

Yep, that’s what I was telling you. If the BMS has RMS current measurement capability then you would see constant current. Most, if not all BMS have an instantaneous current measurement, resulting in changing current on the display.

Yep, that’s what I was telling you. If the BMS has RMS current measurement capability then you would see constant current. Most, if not all BMS have an instantaneous current measurement, resulting in changing current on the display.
You mean : average current as opposed to instantaneous . RMS refers to AC current.

You mean : average current as opposed to instantaneous . RMS refers to AC current.
The voltage seen across the shunt is a 120 hz ripple on top of a dc bias.

So, here’s the question:
The average of a ac current is zero. The rms value is greater than zero. In the case of the signal I described, is the current just the dc bias, or greater than that. In other words, the rms value.

The voltage seen across the shunt is a 120 hz ripple on top of a dc bias.

So, here’s the question:
The average of a ac current is zero. The rms value is greater than zero. In the case of the signal I described, is the current just the dc bias, or greater than that. In other words, the rms value.
Can’t edit previous post. Here’s an example.

The current shunt is showing a dc bias equivalent to 50A. On top of the dc bias is a sine wave at 100A p-p (100A peak to peak). The BMS will be showing currents in the range from 0A to 100A. The average current is 50A. The rms current, I believe is 50 + 0.7 * 50 = 85A.

The DC bias is caused by the current flowing through the shunt. This voltage is what is being measured to determine the current. The 'meter' knows the resistance so it can just use ohms law to get current I=V/R.

The ripple is noise caused by the inverter. (120hz is 2x60hz so I would bet you are in North America). Unfortunately, this ripple can cause problems with the reading the meter is getting. Even a one millivolt ripple can create a large swing in the measured current.

Example:
300A-75mV shunt has .075/300 = .25mohm resistance.​
+1 mV: .001/.00025= 4 Amps increase in measurement​
- 1 mV: -.001/.00025= 4 Ampls decrease in measurement​
The total swing between the high and low peak is 8 amps.​

It seems like a lot of inverters (all?) create this noise but not all set-ups see a problem. I have seen the Chargery BMS have this problem with a Victron Multiplus compact, but the ALI meter on the same set-up did not have the problem.

In another thread there was speculation that the sample rate compared to the noise frequency can create an amplification of the problem...???.

After thinking it over, battery current is the average value of the waveform and not the rms value.

That means a RC filter should be able to give a correct steady state average.

BTW: Because of this problem, I use a large bank of power resisters to generate a DC load (without the inverter) when I am calibrating the Chargery.

diy solar

diy solar
Back