diy solar

diy solar

New Daly "Smart" BMS w/ Communication. (80-250A)

Anyone received this BMS yet or gotten it to work? I'm supposed to receive mine next week and wondering about the bluetooth connection. Thanks

Anyone received this BMS yet or gotten it to work? I'm supposed to receive mine next week and wondering about the bluetooth connection. Thanks
you may be the first test subject. I been watching to get reports and i havent seen any one post yet. But maybe some one will jump in. I hope will will review this BMS

So i got my 200Ah 12 LTO daly smart BMS in mail yesterday. I downloaded the ap today and had issues registering. I messaged daly and they set an account up for me. (not sure why i need an account but that is for another discussion).

After I added my device it seems to report data well. It was pretty much within 1 or 2 mv of what my Chargery was reporting.

My cells are at 49 mv difference right now I will check in the morning to see if they change much. usually the Chargery keeps them under 20mv difference. I have both hooked up to same battery so I hope they do not fight each other. Currently I have no current running through the BMS. It is a common port which I do not like at all but I still wanted to give it a good chance.

here are some screen shots from the ap
Earlier in the thread it was posted no low temp cut off but this has a setting for it. I will try and test at some point.
Screenshot_20200602-215431.png Screenshot_20200602-213901.pngScreenshot_20200602-214016.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200602-213905.png
    Screenshot_20200602-213905.png
    223.8 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
So i got my 200Ah 12 LTO daly smart BMS in mail yesterday. I downloaded the ap today and had issues registering. I messaged daly and they set an account up for me. (not sure why i need an account but that is for another discussion).

After I added my device it seems to report data well. It was pretty much within 1 or 2 mv of what my Chargery was reporting.

My cells are at 49 mv difference right now I will check in the morning to see if they change much. usually the Chargery keeps them under 20mv difference. I have both hooked up to same battery so I hope they do not fight each other. Currently I have no current running through the BMS. It is a common port which I do not like at all but I still wanted to give it a good chance.

here are some screen shots from the ap
Earlier in the thread it was posted no low temp cut off but this has a setting for it. I will try and test at some point.
View attachment 14528 View attachment 14526View attachment 14527
Great !! i looking forward to the low temp cut off test.

Craig, great, I can't wait to see more information on this bsm. The screenshot shows the temp is 22.0 C , do you have a temp sensor connected or is that the temp of the bsm itself ?

Mine arrived today as well.

I've ordered the bells and wissles with it.

Daly 150A smart BMS, set 125a max Charge.

UART to USB
UART to Bluetooth
UART to display

Temperature sensor (short cables)

And the light board as they call it.
(5 led to give SOC indication)
IMG_20200604_130918_copy_750x562.jpg
IMG_20200604_130930_copy_750x562.jpg
IMG_20200604_131041_copy_750x1000.jpg
IMG_20200604_131134_copy_750x1000.jpg
UART to USB

IMG_20200604_131145_copy_750x1000.jpg
UART to Bluetooth

IMG_20200604_131229_copy_750x562.jpg
UART to display
IMG_20200604_131333_copy_750x1000.jpg
Display with brown protective film

IMG_20200604_131107_copy_750x1000.jpg
Light board

IMG_20200604_131119_copy_750x1000.jpg
Spaghetti wires
Compared to the silicone wires that came with the 250A model, these are "standard" ones.
And will do the job.

Now time to install.

I'm with @Craig , quality feel well build, and have smooth metallic red finish.

The 250A and 150A side by side

IMG_20200604_134754_copy_750x1000.jpg

IMG_20200604_134747_copy_750x1000.jpg

The 250A is more then twice the weight, this is probably due to the epoxy seal.

In testing yesterday the amp reading was way off as compared to my multimeter and my inverter. I have asked if there is a calibration.
This morning the bluetooth will not connect to my phone. Hopefully I can get these 2 issues fixed. The Bluetooth app is definately undercooked but it did allow some basic functionality while it worked.

I've installed the BMS, the display is working OK.
IMG_20200604_151349_copy_750x1000.jpg

This is all you see :) but enough.

The LEDs:
IMG_20200604_151401_copy_750x1000.jpg

I didn't connect the Daly yet to the laptop, no settings changed.

I did had some starting issues today with the inverter...
(Together with the new BMS)
At powering up / turning on the inverter, the BMS seems to stop???
And go in to stop-start-stop-start loop.

Time for tomorrow to figure in out that problem...

Now dinner and movies for a nice night sleep:)

I did had some starting issues today with the inverter...
(Together with the new BMS)
At powering up / turning on the inverter, the BMS seems to stop???
And go in to stop-start-stop-start loop.

Hmmmm.... :unsure: I wonder if that is some kind of surge popping the short circuit protect in the BMS. Is the inverter off? If not, it could explain the symptoms:

1) The BMS turns on
2) The capacitors start charging
3) The BMS thinks it is a short and turns off
4) The inverter is on so it drains what little is in the capacitors
5) The BMS trys to turn on again and restarts the loop.

I remember in one of Will's videos he did not pre-charge the inverter capacitors and the classic Daly BMS turned itself off when he tried to hook it up.

Setting up an inverter disconnect with a pre-charge position is probably a good idea.

BTW: I am still waiting on mine.

Hmmmm.... :unsure: I wonder if that is some kind of surge popping the short circuit protect in the BMS. Is the inverter off? If not, it could explain the symptoms:

1) The BMS turns on
2) The capacitors start charging
3) The BMS thinks it is a short and turns off
4) The inverter is on so it drains what little is in the capacitors
5) The BMS trys to turn on again and restarts the loop.

I remember in one of Will's videos he did not pre-charge the inverter capacitors and the classic Daly BMS turned itself off when he tried to hook it up.

Setting up an inverter disconnect with a pre-charge position is probably a good idea.

BTW: I am still waiting on mine.
I had similar problem I had to power cycle BMS to solve

Note: I just added a resource with the circuit I use for an inverter disconnect with pre-charge.

https://diysolarforum.com/resources/inverter-disconnect-with-precharge.60/
Thanks for this!!

Yes, probably need to pre-charge the inverter.

It's a strange loop you see for the first time...

First connection it worked just fine, then needed to do some re-work, making things more tidy and whoops...
Loop.....

I'll try this tomorrow morning!!

Lucky I have breadboards and quite some stash of electrical parts and defective things to use parts from.

I didn't look in depth for the parts, probably have (I hope)

??

ok tobe blunt so far the software stinks. It doesnt always connect, is not in real time and is also not correct in its measurements.

As for the BMS and current flow. I just ran 150 amps through the 200 Amp BMS for 30 minutes. It did not even begin to get hot!
so mixed impresions so far. I imagine the software can get cleaned up a bit in the future.

diy solar

diy solar
Back