diy solar

diy solar

New Daly "Smart" BMS w/ Communication. (80-250A)

Attachments

• Daly RS485+UART protocol.pdf
    285.6 KB · Views: 420
Is there anything functional at this time for RS-485 or CAN versions over UART? I'm making an order want to make sure that I get the correct one for my need. I was hoping to have CAN interface with my Skybox but does not look like that will happen. Might as well save a few bucks and get UART for computer and bluetooth.

Last edited:
Is there anything functional at this time for RS-485 or CAN versions over UART? I'm making an order want to make sure that I get the correct one for my need. I was hoping to have CAN interface with my Skybox but does not look like that will happen. Might as well save a few bucks and get UART for computer and bluetooth.
Warning: All of the following is based on what I have attempted to figure out from the documentation. I have one of the Daly smart BMSs on order but have not actually worked with it yet.

To tell the truth, I am having a hard time figuring out the difference in functionality between the UART cable and the RS485 cable. They both appear to convert the 485 signal to USB. The USB then represents the 485 signal as a serial port to the PC system software.

As best I can tell from the documentation, the CAN/USB adapter converts the CAN bus signal to a USB interface. It appears that the USB represents the CAN bus to the system SW as a simple serial port. This allows you to use the PS config software to talk to the BMS over the CAN bus. It does not appear to do anything more than what the UART would do.

You could probably physically connect the CAN bus of the USB to the Skybox, but the chance of the skybox knowing how to control or even monitor the Daly USB is slim to none.

However, if someone was building a system around CAN bus and a controlling processor, you could use the CAN bus to talk to the BMS. (This would require you to program the processor to talk to the BMS over the bus.

Attachments

• 1590044698796.png
    1590044698796.png
    33.1 KB · Views: 146
Thanks for the detail explanation. That was my impression as well looking at UART and 485/CAN. Building a CAN bus system is beyond my skillset and amount of tinkering time that I have. I'll just stick with the basic BMS function with having bluetooth to check for the voltages/temperatures.

I received a link with the Bluetooth app. However, I could not get past the log-in and/or registrations screens of the app. I have questions out to them to try to figure out how to make it work.

Meanwhile, if you want to try, you can get the link from the resource I added: https://diysolarforum.com/resources/daly-smart-bms-blootooth-app.54/

I sent in questions about how to get through the registration and this is the reply I got back:

Please wait for more days, now our design engineer is working on it.
Dongguan Daly Electroniccs Co.,Ltd
Wechat:+8616620740463
Tel :+8616620740463
Ruby Zhang

One of the things I pointed out to them is that they have a field for phone number and the SW keeps throwing an error saying the phone number format is wrong. I have a sneaky suspicion the app will not work with a US phone number.

Along those lines, it is a bit disconcerting that I have to register at all, so I sent a question asking what the purpose of the registration is.

My prediction: They are busy re-writing the app to take a bunch of the registration stuff out.

I am guessing this issue and the issue of the user not being able to set the Ah of the battery are both due to the product being brand new. Hopefully they will get them worked out.

Last edited:
You could probably physically connect the CAN bus of the USB to the Skybox, but the chance of the skybox knowing how to control or even monitor the Daly USB is slim to none.
Yes, that is exactly the issue I discovered with my Skybox and my Orion BMS. Skybox developed a CANBUS protocol with LG Chem and SimpliPhi because there are likely to be many users who want that integration. Orion's niche is the EV market and they have CANBUS protocols with EV display and EV charger manufacturers.

The canbus protocol of the skybox Should be public available to see if other "standard" and "sub-standard" still put the same information on the same location.

For canbus, it doesn't need to do "more", that is not it's purpose.

It can do it faster and bidirectional at the same time.

Rs485 needs to switch from send to receive.

you might compare to to your old printer/scanner cable.

remember the time it took to have a file from the scanner to your computer and or to the printer??

USB did not add any extra functionality to the printer /scanner but the speed...
whow.

now we are used we don't need to wait 30 minutes for a 3mb pdf to get send to the printer (uncompressed,350mb)

original, it was made to reduce the amount of wires needed in a car.

The canbus protocol of the skybox Should be public available to see if other "standard" and "sub-standard" still put the same information on the same location.

For canbus, it doesn't need to do "more", that is not it's purpose.
Yes, I could buy an Arduino or Raspberry Pi and sniff the CANBUS messages of both devices and then write a program to do that. There are a lot of things I could do if I took the time to learn how to program an Arduino or Pi but programming is not one of my skill sets at the current time. At my age, I am just trying to keep my head above water.

I have continued to play with the Daly Smart BMS Bluetooth app with no success getting pass the registration.

I asked Daly the following:
I am wondering why I have to register to use the BMS? Why does the app even need the phone number?
The response I got:
We also brought this problem to our engineer. Will solve it soon. Thanks.
Ruby Zhang

Warning: Pure Speculation follows:
I suspect the bluetooth app was originally written for an end product (such as a rental scooter) and that the registration in the app is somehow related to using the end product. This would not only explain the need for a registration but would also explain why the app can not set parameters.

As I mentioned before, I suspect that it has dawned on them that when they sell the individual BMS the usage is very different and 'resolving it' means they are busy ripping out a lot or all of the registration stuff from the app. (This would explain why they are not asking additional questions, not explaining how to use the app and only saying they are 'resolving' it.)

I am hoping that by the time my BMS arrives they will have some of these issues fixed.

This is all reminding me why I don't like to be an early adopter of a new product.

Stay tuned.

I guess they have time enough to fix the problems...

Most of my orders now take + 6 weeks to arrive, some are over 10 weeks..and still not here

That is to Thailand where average delivery time was 2-3 weeks.
5 was considered long...

This kinda takes out the fun, +10 weeks waiting for continuing on a project, when you are missing an item, or want to change something.

Sadly, most parts I order aren't available here in a hardware store, or cost too much.

It teaches patients and gratitude, gratitude that Corona passed my doorstep.
If it didn't, the +10 weeks delivery time would feel way to fast... If would still feel anything.. ☮️

@Ampster at +75 I probably also wouldn't start with adruino...
I'm building Adruino based MPPT wind turbine controller, just "simply" following the steps of "philippedc" who originally made it...
Even then, not easy!

This is discouraging:

I asked the following about the registration issues with the bluetooth app:

"Ruby,
Do you know when the engineer will have a solution?
Thanks"

Ruby responded:
"Hi,
Have solved it, only when you receive the BMS. I will help you to register. Thanks.
E-mail:Ruby.zhang@dalyelec.com
Ruby Zhang"

"I will help you register" Say what? That does not sound good. At this point, If you want the bluetooth app, I would not recommend purchasing the Daly Smart BMS till those of us that already ordered the BMS see how it all works.

This is discouraging:

I asked the following about the registration issues with the bluetooth app:

"Ruby,
Do you know when the engineer will have a solution?
Thanks"

Ruby responded:
"Hi,
Have solved it, only when you receive the BMS. I will help you to register. Thanks.
E-mail:Ruby.zhang@dalyelec.com
Ruby Zhang"

"I will help you register" Say what? That does not sound good. At this point, If you want the bluetooth app, I would not recommend purchasing the Daly Smart BMS till those of us that already ordered the BMS see how it all works.
Thats not what you want to hear. I waiting on your and others reviews on this.

Hey good point. Daly cycle limits are usually 2.5-3.65V for LVD/OVD respectively. I am guessing they are incorrect on the ad. Technically speaking, you can run down to 2.0V but I would never let it do that. 2.5V is ideal. If you over discharge and let it sit for a few months, 2V cells will destroy themselves. 2.5V is much better.
On the battery I noticed that they recommended that you set the discharge termination be set at 2.5V and the low voltage disconnect at 2.0V - perhaps this is following battery recommendations?
1590552822397.png

Sadly I have one cell set who is little out of line, and used too much energy yesterday.

In the night I noticed power out, the BMS stopped.
My Ballancer already lifted the voltage, no idea where it stopped.

I turned on the power again, the other cells were like 10-15%
The lower one lowered relative fast, so I decided to wait when it will stop.

2.25 volts exactly..

There isn't much Watts between 2.5 and 2.25v..
It was just a few minutes.

it doesn't start automatically again.
my MPPT complainted when the sun go up..
no battery.

Turning the MPPT Inverter off and back of with the Breaker, activated the BMS again.

I'm curious about the smart one.
It will give more insight in the standard settings for the Daly!

Last edited:
Sadly I have one cell set who is little out of line, and used too much energy yesterday.
In the night I noticed power out, the BMS stopped.
My Ballancer already lifted the voltage, no idea where it stopped.
Is your Balancer different than your BMS? Did you have to do anything to get the voltage up?
I turned on the power again, the other cells were like 10-15%
The lower one lowered relative fast, so I decided to wait when it will stop.
2.25 volts exactly..
Turning the MPPT Inverter off and back of with the Breaker, activated the BMS again.
I'm curious about the smart one.
It will give more insight in the standard settings for the Daly!
Sorry for your troubles. Keep us informed so others can learn

Yes, I have separate active balancer.
1A model.

It's not the fastest kid on the block, but it does a fine job in situations like this.

It really moves the charge from the highest cell to the lowest one.

Give it a few days with out usage and it totally Balance the pack.

Give it a few days with out usage and it totally Balance the pack.
What kind of Amps versus pack size? It sounds like it actively balances at any point? Based on flat curve I would not count on any accuracy in the middle in terms of balancing SOC.

It does 1 amp.

Nothing spectacular.
And I'm not counting on anything.

You might remember I bought the smart Active Balancer BMS via IC GOGOGO store.

Unlike some others, I have positive feedback about them.

The Active Balancer BMS was premature product.
It was nice, looking good and worked for 3 days.

Now I have normal 250A Daly and o received the 1A 16S active balancer as compensation.

Yes, the Daly 250a is more expensive, I needed a way to monitor the cells.
Adding the active balancer who have BT function was the best way to do this, and on top, it does Balance!!!

Naturally during usage, the "out of balance" is more then it can compensate.
It does a little.

It's power lays more in fine tuning the top or bottom balance, the once cell that was out of balance reached 2.25 while the rest was 3.15

In the few hours the BMS was cut-off, no power usage, it really push up the voltage, getting it more close into Balance.

I'm in process of making my own busbars for 3 parallel cells to go in series with 3 other parallel cells.
(Sets of 3)

Melting copper and make a mold to pour the copper in.

That should fix the Balance issues.

diy solar

diy solar
Back