diy solar

diy solar

New Daly "Smart" BMS w/ Communication. (80-250A)

I *THINK* the PC SW they provide allows you to change some (most? All?) of the settings.

If all of the settings were configurable at run-time then I would think they would just set sensible defaults and allow the customer to program their own profiles instead of adding a error prone step to the production process.

If all of the settings were configurable at run-time then I would think they would just set sensible defaults and allow the customer to program their own profiles instead of adding a error prone step to the production process.
They sent me the documentation for the BMS. I uploaded it here:
https://diysolarforum.com/resources/daly-4s-smart-bms-manual-part-1-part-2.48/

Read through the part 2 file. It sure seems like the SW allows you to adjust some of the parameters.

Key light board (anyone know what this is?)
It appears to be a 5 LED and button board. The 5 LEDs indicate State-of-charge: 20%, 40%, 60% 80% & 100%. The button is an on-off (I think).
It looks like the 4S version does not support the Key-light board.

This is all stuff I gleaned from the documentation......I could be wrong.

I have had a few other exchanges with the vendors:

1589128211596.png

1589128293299.png

The "Above 5s Smart BMS, you can adjust the parameter" is not promising for the 4S BMS... but sounds good for 24 & 48 Volt set-ups.

However, it is interesting that the series count is set by them and is not adjustable.

Even if I ran windows, I would not be keen on putting that software on my PC.
Probably wise. I have an old laptop that I use for this type of work-bench/experiment stuff. It is not my main computer and there is nothing sensitive on it. (And I have windows 10 CDs I can use to wipe the disk and re-load).. So if I decide to buy one of these, I am willing to give it a shot.

The interesting thing is that the documentation makes it sound like it is the SW is intended for *them* to use to pre-set the parameters before they ship the BMS.

Last edited:
The "Above 5s Smart BMS, you can adjust the parameter" is not promising for the 4S BMS... but sounds good for 24 & 48 Volt set-ups.

However, it is interesting that the series count is set by them and is not adjustable.
There's a 48v setup?

So.... I am about to pull the trigger on buying the 4S 250A Daly smart BMS. It will be a while before I get it, but I thought I would sumerize what I have gleaned about the Daly smart BMS. This is from reading the manuals and questions to the vendors.
Warning: Since I have not played with the BMS yet, any or all of the below could be incorrect.
  • The BMS is 'bare bones'. The temp sensor, Uart cable, 485 Cable, CAN adapter, Light Board and temperature sensors are all extra cost.
  • The Bluetooth app is currently for android only. (I have very little info on the Bluetooth app)
  • They say there is an English version of the android bluetooth app. However, but I have no idea how well translated it is.
  • The PC SW seems to be the same SW they use to set parameters before they ship the BMS
  • It appears that the PC SW will work on all of the Daly Smart BMS (Including 4S).
  • There is an 'English version of the PC SW.... but I have no idea how well translated it is. (Since the English manual only shows a Chinese version of some of the pages, I have my concerns)
  • The Light Board is not supported on the 4S version of the Smart BMS
  • The Smart BMS has an option for a temp sensor and they say there is low temp charge protection. However, in the instruction manual for the PC SW, I can not tell if there is a way to set the low temp protection (See below)
  • The BMS does Passive Balancing at 35mA.
  • The ‘Light board’ is a board with an on-off switch (push button?) and 5 LEDs for SOC:
- LED 1 - 20% Charged
- LED 2 - 40% Charged
- LED 3 - 60% Charged
- LED 4 - 80% Charged
- LED 5 - 100% Charged

In the manual the light board is called the ‘Power Indicator board.​
These are the settable parameters I found in the manual for the PC app:
  • Rated capacity of the battery
  • Rated voltage (set to 3.2V for LiFePO4)
  • Equalization Turn-on voltage
  • Cell difference voltage for equalization Turn-on
  • Total cycle capacity in AH (I think)
  • Short Circuit Protection current
  • Resistance value of internal shunt
  • Time before entering sleep mode if there is no charge or discharge
  • Number of Cells connected (I think)
  • Number of temp sensors (I think)
  • Set the current SOC (I think you would set this to 100 when the battery is fully charged)
  • Set the clock on the BMS (I think)
  • There are a bunch of Alarms that can be set…. But the document image is in Chinese so I can not tell what they are. I don’t know if they are just alarms or if they can be set to turn off charge or discharge.

When I was in China, my wife was able to translate images of Chinese characters using Android phone app somehow. She'd aim the camera at a sign and English translation appears. Should be able to understand the manual better. Just a suggestion.

A quick Google Play Store search, there's a chinese character OCR app called ScanScan that's free and seems to work. Take a pic of the characters, then hit 'Result', then 'Translate'...and all of the sudden you're reading Chinese.

Last edited:
In the ad for the 4S Smart BMS, they have this chart that they want you to fill in. I assUme this means that all of the listed parameters are settable in the PC SW.

1589405666825.png

It is a bit hard to read so I transcribed it as best I could. My edits are in red
1589476288203.png
Most of it makes sense, but a few things got lost in the translation.
EDIT: Fixed image above

Last edited:
When I was in China, my wife was able to translate images of Chinese characters using Android phone app somehow. She'd aim the camera at a sign and English translation appears. Should be able to understand the manual better. Just a suggestion.

A quick Google Play Store search, there's a chinese character OCR app called ScanScan that's free and seems to work. Take a pic of the characters, then hit 'Result', then 'Translate'...and all of the sudden you're reading Chinese.
I tried that but with google lens and a few other apps but they did not work very well and I gave up. I sure hope the app has English pages or I might have wasted my money.

Back