diy solar

diy solar

New Daly "Smart" BMS w/ Communication. (80-250A)

I have a. quick question on this BMS (considering the 4s250A for a 4s 280ah Lifepo build for my TT):

It doesn't look like the unit comes with a display by itself. If I want just a dumb LCD type of display to mount somewhere on the RV, what are folks using for this (@fhorst I see you have a display in your pictures above) ? And what interface cable does it require? I would also like bluetooth and its pretty clear what to add for that, but can they both work together at the same time? (saw the note about bluetooth being flaky above, I have to assume the software will get better - Are these field upgradable firmware ?) Since the bluetooth is flaky, can it be fully programmed from PC or the display ?

I have a. quick question on this BMS (considering the 4s250A for a 4s 280ah Lifepo build for my TT):

It doesn't look like the unit comes with a display by itself. If I want just a dumb LCD type of display to mount somewhere on the RV, what are folks using for this (@fhorst I see you have a display in your pictures above) ? And what interface cable does it require? I would also like bluetooth and its pretty clear what to add for that, but can they both work together at the same time? (saw the note about bluetooth being flaky above, I have to assume the software will get better - Are these field upgradable firmware ?) Since the bluetooth is flaky, can it be fully programmed from PC or the display ?
Im sue the bluetooth ap can be upgraded through normal android upgrades I do not think there is any problem with the firmware on the device.

UPDATE. The app sucks plain and simple. It is slow to react, only about 1/3 the features work, and it disconnects requiring me to reboot my phones bluetooth to connect again.

As for the BMS I have mixed reactions. weird thing happened today. I turned panels off so there was no PV into SCC. There was about a 6 Amp load on the battery. I noticed cell 1 voltage dropped about 500mv. Turned panels on and it went back up. Disconnected Daly BMS turned panels off and cell did not drop. So for some reason the BMS was drawing too much energy through balance lead number one . I do not know what this means but it cant be good as it would trigger cell differential alarm.

I also tested the low temp disconnect. I set it to disconnect at 3 degrees C. I put temp sensor in cup of ice water. The bluetooth monitor showed 1 degree C raised an alarm but did not stop charging. There may be a delay but I let it sit for a few minutes and nothing.

UPDATE. The app sucks plain and simple. It is slow to react, only about 1/3 the features work, and it disconnects requiring me to reboot my phones bluetooth to connect again.

As for the BMS I have mixed reactions. weird thing happened today. I turned panels off so there was no PV into SCC. There was about a 6 Amp load on the battery. I noticed cell 1 voltage dropped about 500mv. Turned panels on and it went back up. Disconnected Daly BMS turned panels off and cell did not drop. So for some reason the BMS was drawing too much energy through balance lead number one . I do not know what this means but it cant be good as it would trigger cell differential alarm.

I also tested the low temp disconnect. I set it to disconnect at 3 degrees C. I put temp sensor in cup of ice water. The bluetooth monitor showed 1 degree C raised an alarm but did not stop charging. There may be a delay but I let it sit for a few minutes and nothing.

Did they tell you that you were the newest member of their alpha test team?

Thanks for testings the low temp disconnect . This is not the first model they stated had low temp disconnect that did not work. will had tested the previous model and it also failed. I am not sure why they cant get this working. I was very interested in this BMS But i need low temp disconnect . It will be interesting if the app get working better in the future. I not even sure what to think about your 1 cell voltage dropping .

Thanks for testings the low temp disconnect . This is not the first model they stated had low temp disconnect that did not work. will had tested the previous model and it also failed. I am not sure why they cant get this working. I was very interested in this BMS But i need low temp disconnect . It will be interesting if the app get working better in the future. I not even sure what to think about your 1 cell voltage dropping .

This is not doing their reputation any favours.

I was sooooo hopeful this would be a good product. :(

Now my only hope is that they fix all the problems.... but even then, will we be able to update what we already purchased?

Hi, new here - thought I'd share my experience with this smart box.
I ordered and received daly 60amp smart bms +bluetooth +uart usb cable. All arrived fine.
In the box: wiring diagram, BMS, spaghetti cable, temp sensor, bluetooth, uart cable and some "on-off" switch.

Had to figure out how to initialise it, apparently, the right sequence is connect everything, then switch to On, then short P- and B-. If the temp sensor is not connected - it won't come up, which is not handy really - I don't need it as we don't have subzero temps here.

The Bluetooth connection. Well, firstly the app is hopeless - the "group" account heeds to be created by the Ali store support, the individual account wouldn't work even if you're ready to share your phone number - the app will tell you the number format is not correct. Secondly and most importantly, only once I made it work on my tablet and spare phone after a hundred of unsuccessful launches - it is simply not connecting to the BMS. Maybe it has something to do with the Android version - the manifest in the APK file states that it expects the Android at 8.1 at least. Bottom line - if you want it to work, you may need to spend more money on something more recent than just an old phone from the shelf.

The UART connection. Well, the software from the website dalyelec.cn does not work at all - connecting to the serial but no data. Took the store support few days to ship me a very outdated version on the prolific driver (and they failed in the end, I have managed to find it somewhere at the end of the day) - but it didn't change a thing. Few more days, and they send me some totally different software "Sinowealth BMS Tool" which suddenly worked. Makes me think this Daly box may be not totally Daly inside?

UART protocol. They are completely refusing to share the protocol. Perhaps they don't have it for that third party IC ? That is an important part for me as I wanted to feed the stats into my raspberry pi and store there for further processing. I will give it a go wit the document from this thread, should it not work - I tried serial sniffer and the protocol does not seem to be too complicated.

Overall the experience is quite frustrating I'd say. They initially told me that I would be able to reprogram voltages etc, then they told me "not via bluetooth, pc app only", then they told me "changes via pc app only and only 5s bms and higher, nothing whatsoever is possible for 4s". However, I seem to be able to change parameters on the PC software. They still failed to provide me with a manual, and they still can't explain what is the purpose of the switch :). At the end of the day, it seem to do most of its job and it is 10 times cheaper than Orion so I guess all good.

I ordered and received daly 60amp smart bms +bluetooth +uart usb cable. All arrived fine.
In the box: wiring diagram, BMS, spaghetti cable, temp sensor, bluetooth, uart cable and some "on-off" switch.

Had to figure out how to initialise it, apparently, the right sequence is connect everything, then switch to On, then short P- and B-. If the temp sensor is not connected - it won't come up, which is not handy really - I don't need it as we don't have subzero temps here.

The Bluetooth connection. Well, firstly the app is hopeless - the "group" account heeds to be created by the Ali store support, the individual account wouldn't work even if you're ready to share your phone number - the app will tell you the number format is not correct. Secondly and most importantly, only once I made it work on my tablet and spare phone after a hundred of unsuccessful launches - it is simply not connecting to the BMS. Maybe it has something to do with the Android version - the manifest in the APK file states that it expects the Android at 8.1 at least. Bottom line - if you want it to work, you may need to spend more money on something more recent than just an old phone from the shelf.

The UART connection. Well, the software from the website dalyelec.cn does not work at all - connecting to the serial but no data. Took the store support few days to ship me a very outdated version on the prolific driver (and they failed in the end, I have managed to find it somewhere at the end of the day) - but it didn't change a thing. Few more days, and they send me some totally different software "Sinowealth BMS Tool" which suddenly worked. Makes me think this Daly box may be not totally Daly inside?

UART protocol. They are completely refusing to share the protocol. Perhaps they don't have it for that third party IC ? That is an important part for me as I wanted to feed the stats into my raspberry pi and store there for further processing. I will give it a go wit the document from this thread, should it not work - I tried serial sniffer and the protocol does not seem to be too complicated.

Overall the experience is quite frustrating I'd say. They initially told me that I would be able to reprogram voltages etc, then they told me "not via bluetooth, pc app only", then they told me "changes via pc app only and only 5s bms and higher, nothing whatsoever is possible for 4s". However, I seem to be able to change parameters on the PC software. They still failed to provide me with a manual, and they still can't explain what is the purpose of the switch :). At the end of the day, it seem to do most of its job and it is 10 times cheaper than Orion so I guess all good.
Sounds about like my experience however it seemed to make my cell balancing worse.

The UART protocol is available in the resource section.

I haven't even tried the app yet...
Still problems with booting as I need to pre-charge the inverter and I don't have the resistor to do so.
Maybe a bunch (25) of 1 watt resistor will work also?

The display is cute.
Led indicator ok to build into battery case or so.

For functionality...
I can't say.
I now don't use BMS and have my active Balancer to monitor the cell Balance.

With 736Ah, 37.5kwh it doesn't drop below 3.0* Or above 3.6* quickly.

For now safe to do without BMS.

I am looking into DYIBMS
Apparently quite popular in the UK.

It have per cell PCB and Balance, and is cheap!
(About 3 USD for the cell PCB and 10 for the controller. For 16 cells, $60,-)
Like the chargery it uses external contactors, but can also trigger ventilator or alarm or flashligh or the coffee machine :)

Different thread I'll open once I've studied the DYI BMS enough.

Can be really good alternative for this crap.

It's frustrating to read this. I've had high hopes but it looks like this is not ready for prime time. DIY maybe?

LEDs are current limited device so they will not draw much current to pull down the cell. Perhaps least resistance is what I mean.
how about 4x 25watts@6ohms in parallel?
I have that configuration thermally bonded to a heat sink read to go.

Can you share this software? I'm having no luck connecting to my new Daly SMART BMS on the RS 485 port and this thing is behaving strangely. When I put a load on it I get a lot of voltage drops. Putting a meter on the battery itself then the output from the BMS shows clearly that the BMS is throttling current for some reason.

I have been out a couple weeks (Mostly off-line & Off Grid). I expected the Daly Smart BMS to be waiting for me when I got home... but it wasn't. Went to AliExpress to track the package and the tracking page said 'Canceled by vendor'.

The interesting thing is that a month ago they sent me a message saying it had shipped. I was reading the comments from others and was regretting buying it but figured it was too late to cancel. Consequently, the bad news that they randomly canceled my order turns out to be good news (I hope). I have asked them to refund my money rather than ship a unit to me. They need to work out the bugs before I want to try it.

Like others, I am disappointed in how this line of BMS is turning out. I had high hopes because the 'Dumb Daly' BMS seems to be fairly solid (except for the low temp disconnect).

Oh well..... off to explore other options.

Good luck at a bad luck moment!!

Lately, the last 2 or 3 months (maybe 4 or 5 already) AliExpress sucks.

I order quite a lot, mostly small things, as the hardware store in my area aren't well equipped.

It's normal to have 10-20 different orders for me.

Normal transport time is 1 to 2 weeks to Thailand. Often 5 days.

Yes, Corona delays, but apparently mostly AliExpress as other Chinese sites still deliver within 2 weeks!!

Several order are not going into the 13th week.
AliExpress extended the delivery time to 120 days "due Corona"

Last 3 weeks, no delivery at all from AliExpress. Not one!
(+25 different orders waiting for delivery)

It could be AliExpress is just hating me as buyer.
Sadly I hear a lot of complaints lately, and increasing.

This weekend a nice long letter to my credit card company, asking for refund for all outstanding orders.

Some I already bought from other China site as I can't wait that long to use.

Lucky there are many alternatives.
For now I will stop using AliExpress totally.
This is structural problem from AliExpress, not Corona issues at delivery companies.

The strange thing that a seller can generate a shipping label, free, and weeks later cancel the order that should be already here show the internal problems AliExpress is facing.
Most Chinese sellers can't handle this much "freedom" to cheat the system.
They are abusing it.

Good luck at a bad luck moment!!

Lately, the last 2 or 3 months (maybe 4 or 5 already) AliExpress sucks.

I order quite a lot, mostly small things, as the hardware store in my area aren't well equipped.

It's normal to have 10-20 different orders for me.

Normal transport time is 1 to 2 weeks to Thailand. Often 5 days.

Yes, Corona delays, but apparently mostly AliExpress as other Chinese sites still deliver within 2 weeks!!

Several order are not going into the 13th week.
AliExpress extended the delivery time to 120 days "due Corona"

Last 3 weeks, no delivery at all from AliExpress. Not one!
(+25 different orders waiting for delivery)

It could be AliExpress is just hating me as buyer.
Sadly I hear a lot of complaints lately, and increasing.

This weekend a nice long letter to my credit card company, asking for refund for all outstanding orders.

Some I already bought from other China site as I can't wait that long to use.

Lucky there are many alternatives.
For now I will stop using AliExpress totally.
This is structural problem from AliExpress, not Corona issues at delivery companies.

The strange thing that a seller can generate a shipping label, free, and weeks later cancel the order that should be already here show the internal problems AliExpress is facing.
Most Chinese sellers can't handle this much "freedom" to cheat the system.
They are abusing it.
I prefer Alibaba any day. Never had any issues.

diy solar

diy solar
Back