diy solar

diy solar

Newbie here..

mark46808

I have this dream to power my house with solar and wind.. i would like to know where can i get my hands on used things.. batteries mainly, i am a poor man so looking fir a cheap way. I have all the time to do the work.. i have a well i would like to run. Washer. Frig. Mini split heater and air.. all lighting are led saver. I am at the learning point. I bought a 12 volt inverter.. think i need a 48 volt one.. a cheap battery for now.. i am collecting all my numbers on everything in the house. I got a 200 w pannel. A 5500 generator that i wana run with an electric motor.. the generator has a 13 hp gas motor. Will do my best on my progress.. any info where i can get second hand would be great.. happy holidays.....

I have this dream to power my house with solar and wind.. i would like to know where can i get my hands on used things.. batteries mainly, i am a poor man so looking fir a cheap way.
Where are you located? For used things, checkout Santan Solar (Arizona and Georgia), Signature Solar (Texas I think), Craigslist/Facebook Marketplace/Kijiji in your local area. These are good sources for used solar panels. As to used batteries I'm not sure. Maybe batteryhookup.com or batteryclearinghouse.com also check ebay. But batteries are more or less a consumable, don't spend too much on batteries of unknown quality/age/life, they might well be pretty well spent, abused, etc. If upfront cost is a big factor, the cheap flooded lead acid batteries sold at Sam's Club and whatever that battery chain store is (Batteries plus?) under I think the Duracell and Deka brand names, are apparently one of the cheapest options when it comes to balancing upfront cost and cost over time

I am at the learning point. I bought a 12 volt inverter.. think i need a 48 volt one..
Learn/plan now, buy later, if at all possible, especially if you are on a limited budget, you don't want to waste money buying things you dont need or can't use.

Well, I'll start the default answer to these questions and we can work from there. Here's you To-Do list:

1: Power audit! This will give you some important information on how big your inverter needs to be as well as how much battery capacity you'll need. There is a link in the FAQ section (I think, or someone here will post it shortly) so fill in the blanks and see what it comes up with. You'll probably need some sort of Kill-A-Watt to get accurate measurements. Are you going to be running a 12v system? 24v system? 48v system? What are the specs on your solar panels? VoC? Vmp?

1a: Where do you live? Speccing out a system for Scotland is a LOT different numbers than Arizona due to the amount of light you actually get. Someone here can post the link to the Uber-Sun-Hours calculator site to help figure out how much you'll have to work with. That will be a box in the Power Audit form.

2: Parts list: You don't need a make & model list, just a parts list to start from for reference. You'll need an inverter, a MPPT charge controller, some sort of DC->dc charger to charge from your alternator without frying it, fuses, shunt, buck converter, batteries, wire, etc. Once you have a basic list it can be fine tuned to make & models after that.

3: Budget!: Steak is great but doesn't mean anything if your wallet says hamburger. :) Figure out what you're able to spend now vs what you'll have to cheap out on now and upgrade later.

4: Tape measure! Figure out where you're going to stick all the stuff you'll need. A dozen 3000AH batteries sounds great until you're sleeping on the floor because there's no room left for a bed. Is there a compartment that can house all this stuff? Will the server rack batteries fit? Are you going to have to make space? Physics can be pretty unforgiving.

5: Pencil out what you think you need and throw it at us so we can tell you what you've missed (because we ALL miss stuff the first go-round :) ) and help figure out which parts and pieces you're going to want to get.

A 5500 generator that i wana run with an electric motor.. the generator has a 13 hp gas motor

13Hp X 735W/Hp = 9,555w of draw. 100Ah LiFe battery provides 960Wh, which means you'll need to completely drain 10 of the LiFe batteries every hour to run that motor. If you want that for 24 hours, that's 240 batteries fully drained every day. If you did it with the WallyWorld 120Ah lead acid batteries, you're doubling that to 480 batteries every day.

Time to do some serious reduction in your power draw and re-thinking what you actually need to power and go from there.

I got a 200 w pannel. A 5500 generator that i wana run with an electric motor.. the generator has a 13 hp gas motor.
200W panel I think you have…

Maybe I’m missing something? If you want to produce electricity by solar it is unclear to me why you would then invert the panels to turn a motor to then make (possibly slightly wild) household current with all the mechanical and losses by heat.

You can ‘scale’ into a whole house system at 6kW but you have to plan for what your end goal is and buy-in to support the end goal. Then as you buy and install over time you eventually arrive at the goal. But the up-front to provision to run that generator on an electric motor may exceed the cost of buying the equipment you need to just run it straight up.
f you want that for 24 hours, that's 240 batteries fully drained every day. If you did it with the WallyWorld 120Ah lead acid batteries, you're doubling that to 480 batteries every day.
That is as much hyperbole as it is reality! Not a practical goal. You’ll both need the battery bank AND the excess solar to accomplish this; for the dollar it makes little sense.
You can probably meet your needs better and without that expense

Last edited:
Where are you located? For used things, checkout Santan Solar (Arizona and Georgia), Signature Solar (Texas I think), Craigslist/Facebook Marketplace/Kijiji in your local area. These are good sources for used solar panels. As to used batteries I'm not sure. Maybe batteryhookup.com or batteryclearinghouse.com also check ebay. But batteries are more or less a consumable, don't spend too much on batteries of unknown quality/age/life, they might well be pretty well spent, abused, etc. If upfront cost is a big factor, the cheap flooded lead acid batteries sold at Sam's Club and whatever that battery chain store is (Batteries plus?) under I think the Duracell and Deka brand names, are apparently one of the cheapest options when it comes to balancing upfront cost and cost over time

Learn/plan now, buy later, if at all possible, especially if you are on a limited budget, you don't want to waste money buying things you dont need or can't use.
I have this dream to power my house with solar and wind.. i would like to know where can i get my hands on used things.. batteries mainly, i am a poor man so looking fir a cheap way. I have all the time to do the work.. i have a well i would like to run. Washer. Frig. Mini split heater and air.. all lighting are led saver. I am at the learning point. I bought a 12 volt inverter.. think i need a 48 volt one.. a cheap battery for now.. i am collecting all my numbers on everything in the house. I got a 200 w pannel. A 5500 generator that i wana run with an electric motor.. the generator has a 13 hp gas motor. Will do my best on my progress.. any info where i can get second hand would be great.. happy holidays.....
I am in indiana.

Attachments

• 20211209_132516.jpg
    20211209_132516.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 20211206_144837.jpg
    20211206_144837.jpg
    274.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 20211206_144841.jpg
    20211206_144841.jpg
    294 KB · Views: 13

Indian

13Hp X 735W/Hp = 9,555w of draw. 100Ah LiFe battery provides 960Wh, which means you'll need to completely drain 10 of the LiFe batteries every hour to run that motor. If you want that for 24 hours, that's 240 batteries fully drained every day. If you did it with the WallyWorld 120Ah lead acid batteries, you're doubling that to 480 batteries every day.

Time to do some serious reduction in your power draw and re-thinking what you actually need to power and go from there.
Thanks. At this point i am looking at everything as i figure out me end game. Batteries seem to be the costley thing.. one small step at a time

Well, I'll start the default answer to these questions and we can work from there. Here's you To-Do list:

1: Power audit! This will give you some important information on how big your inverter needs to be as well as how much battery capacity you'll need. There is a link in the FAQ section (I think, or someone here will post it shortly) so fill in the blanks and see what it comes up with. You'll probably need some sort of Kill-A-Watt to get accurate measurements. Are you going to be running a 12v system? 24v system? 48v system? What are the specs on your solar panels? VoC? Vmp?

1a: Where do you live? Speccing out a system for Scotland is a LOT different numbers than Arizona due to the amount of light you actually get. Someone here can post the link to the Uber-Sun-Hours calculator site to help figure out how much you'll have to work with. That will be a box in the Power Audit form.

2: Parts list: You don't need a make & model list, just a parts list to start from for reference. You'll need an inverter, a MPPT charge controller, some sort of DC->dc charger to charge from your alternator without frying it, fuses, shunt, buck converter, batteries, wire, etc. Once you have a basic list it can be fine tuned to make & models after that.

3: Budget!: Steak is great but doesn't mean anything if your wallet says hamburger. :) Figure out what you're able to spend now vs what you'll have to cheap out on now and upgrade later.

4: Tape measure! Figure out where you're going to stick all the stuff you'll need. A dozen 3000AH batteries sounds great until you're sleeping on the floor because there's no room left for a bed. Is there a compartment that can house all this stuff? Will the server rack batteries fit? Are you going to have to make space? Physics can be pretty unforgiving.

5: Pencil out what you think you need and throw it at us so we can tell you what you've missed (because we ALL miss stuff the first go-round :) ) and help figure out which parts and pieces you're going to want to get.
Got a shed and a trailer. For my batteries. Trailer .aybe but was gona make that my mini turbin place for it is mobile to move with the wind.. thats phase two after electricity. All i got now is a 12 volt 1500 inverter a few batteries and an idea..200 solar panel should arrive anytime.. learning as i play and get use to all this.. thanks for the help and advise

Attachments

• 20211209_144912.jpg
    20211209_144912.jpg
    497.1 KB · Views: 14
This is what i am waiting on.. any good?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211209-160635_eBay~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20211209-160635_eBay~2.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 22
Recommend you do some sort of power audit about what you want. Also please don't purchase until you know this.

200 watts of panels can power my RV's lights and TV for a days worth of use, but if I need to heat the RV, even with propane heat the draw is way too much.

The 100 amp charge controller does not seem realistic. 100 amps would need some thick wire and lugs, and that does not look like its built for 100 amps. 100 amps is 13 -15 100-watt panels in parallel, and that is a bit challenging to wire.

Solar back up power will probably be more expensive than grid tied power any time there is batteries.

I understand wanting to save money, but honestly unless you do a lot of learning. you're just taking money and burning it. Buying overhyped junk won't get you anywhere in the long run. If money is short, you need to be smart about how you spend it, and that's not what you're doing now. Don't buy anything until you spend a week or two reading all the posts on this forum.

"100a" PWM controller? Looks pretty darned scammy to me,
Yea, that a $15 10-20A SCC. I have a couple for utility battery charging which is all they are good for. Zero chance you could get any wire bigger than 12AWG, and even that's a stretch, to fit in there. You even need a pretty small screwdriver to tighten the wires.

100A? I don't see how its possible based on how small this unit is.

Back