diy solar

diy solar

Newbie here..

This is what i am waiting on.. any good?
Not really.
You need something you can use. That ain’t gonna do what it claims; it’s not a good start, and it’s not trustworthy.

The price of entry is about $350 for a walmartha battery and a 200W panel kit from windyNation or Rich Solar for decent equipment. And for your goal that isn’t the best plan.

How much can you spend right now? Then we can see what you can actually accomplish- or not- towards your goals.

Step One, stop buying stuff immediately.

Step two, return anything you can for a refund.

Get a plan together, study options, learn what is a reasonable goal.

Then go shopping and folks here will help steer you to the best value purchases for your budget.
For the new members just to add a little perspective:
I started with just a 160w panel on my motorhome and learned from there. My needs were just lights, water pump, propane furnace on colder nites, and to charge our phones and computer. I needed to add a second lead battery to make it thru the cold nites. Furnace fan draws about 4 amps when running. If it runs 3 times an hour 15 min at a time from 5pm to 6am that is about 35ah used. On a 100 ah battery it comes to almost the entire useful half of one (lead) battery. I learned the hard way with some cold mornings.

We added solar to our house a couple years ago. It is grid tied. We have 28 panels (370w). In Las Vegas we run the air cond all summer and heat pump in winter. Everything is electric in the house. Our solar contributes enough to cover our electric bills and we only get a bill for $13 or so each month. This is the access fee the power co charges. Before solar the bill was nearly $300 in summer and $250 in winter.
When starting out in solar, get your mind around the fact you will need more panels than you think you need. Do the energy audit and include everything you want on your solar project. Don't cheat on the numbers. You only cheat yourself.

The people on this forum know what they are talking about. Do your homework. One or two small panels are not going to power your entire home.

Yea, that a $15 10-20A SCC. I have a couple for utility battery charging which is all they are good for. Zero chance you could get any wire bigger than 12AWG, and even that's a stretch, to fit in there. You even need a pretty small screwdriver to tighten the wires.

100A? I don't see how its possible based on how small this unit is.

Now that i got it in hand...ITS JUNK...

Not really.
You need something you can use. That ain’t gonna do what it claims; it’s not a good start, and it’s not trustworthy.

The price of entry is about $350 for a walmartha battery and a 200W panel kit from windyNation or Rich Solar for decent equipment. And for your goal that isn’t the best plan.

How much can you spend right now? Then we can see what you can actually accomplish- or not- towards your goals.
Lets do it this way. I alot myself 200 a month. Now i can buy things in payments for upto 7 months... at this point i am learning as what i really need. And looking for the cheepest way. I could pick up a unit that is broke look over the boards replace the bad part. For cheep. Tossing ideas around.. i do like those growatts..

Now that i got it in hand...ITS JUNK...
They are actually pretty useful for utility use while camping. I use a bunch of gel cell batteries and recharge with a little 30W panel I keep in the RV. Mostly fun with solar but easy and handy too. Like I said, I have a few of these and for $15, I am quite satisfied.

Odd... and sketchy. There should be a sticker somewhere on the panel with the electrical info.

Reading the info page on that listing is funny. Max voltage is 200w? Current is 1000ma? Wtf?

Yeah, you got sold a bill of goods. We call that "tuition" here and hopefully it'll be usable enough to at least play with while you learn. You're not the first, won't be the last. At least you didn't start with the Harbor Freight My First Solar kit like I did.

Or if possible, return it and get your money back, if that's an option.

Last edited:
I found this thought i would share.. yall agree
To an extent yes, the exact numbers are somewhat arbitrary, and will vary somewhat with context/use-case. But as a generalization, yeah, the (1) bigger the PV array (2) bigger the battery bank, or (3) larger the loads/inverter size the more sense higher voltages makes. For a home/cabin/larger structure, 48V should be the default in my eyes, with 24V being a sometimes reasonable alternative for small-medium systems. For a vehicle, or any situation where you will have mostly DC loads, and maybe an existing electrical or charging system at 12V or 24V, a 12V or 24V system may make more sense.

My 2c, 24V is the most versatile, 12V is the most convenient for small to medium vehicle based systems with pre-existing 12V systems, 48V is usually the most logical option for any medium to large system, especially if most or all devices will be AC

Others will have different takes on it, or the same take but different thresholds.

Last edited:
My little temporary set up. I can run all things in the house(one at a time) i can use my well pump. Cant use my washer. I got a 1500 inverter need at leat 2000 to get washer to work.. i have learned i need a 6000w inverter 48v to run the house.. but i am after a 10000w inverter 48w. I yet to get any panels, opinions?????

Attachments

• 20211212_130844.jpg
    20211212_130844.jpg
    287.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 20211212_131103.jpg
    20211212_131103.jpg
    592.8 KB · Views: 11
Got my eye on this.. yes? No?
Link?
Is that sine wave or modified sine wave?
My little temporary set up.
Your battery parallel pairs (maybe more?) are wired incorrectly. You should have positive to one battery and negative to the other.
I cannot see the entire wiring but the rightmost battery, will see the least use and charge; it will become unbalanced and is probably not contributing to your back as well as it could.

Link?

Your battery parallel pairs (maybe more?) are wired incorrectly. You should have positive to one battery and negative to the other.
I cannot see the entire wiring but the rightmost battery, will see the least use and charge; it will become unbalanced and is probably not contributing to your back as well as it could.
If i hook up sires wont that put out 48v with four twelve volt battiers? I am parallel to keep it 12 volts. But add length in hour amps?????? My inverter is 12volts... still hooked up wrong??? Thanks for your feed back

Link?

Modified the inverter

Back