diy solar

diy solar

Our NEW GO-TO LiFePO4 vendor...09.20.21

Cool!

Do you have to pay taxes or custom when ordering to the EU? I am thinking of ordering to Sweden soon.

No. No sure for Sweden, but for most EU countries vendors provide a DDP shipping method (Delivery Duty Paid) which includes all customs and vat handlings.

Horsefly said:
It seems to be a point of debate, but I don't think the aluminum case is actually connected to the positive terminal. I think there is a voltage between the case and the negative terminal (or maybe even both terminals on some cells), but it is a surface / static potential, not a real potential. That is, if you put a load between the case and the negative terminal, you would likely find no current flow. I know that is the case on some of the cells I've messed with, but I can't say it is the case on all cells.

Interesting! I was not aware of this.

speculation:

If the anode (+) and the case are insulated from each other and close enough together then they might form a parasitic capacitor that could explain the voltage.

But this kind of assumes there is no such capacitance (or much much less) between the case and the cathode. Otherwise the case voltage would be something less than the battery voltage - which it wasn't.

I've thought of some experiments I could do like try to measure that capacitance, or try to charge up that capacitor ... both of which seem like not such a good idea for a battery rookie. What could possibly go wrong :oops:

Or it could simply be cheaper to not add an insulating layer to the "jelly roll" to prevent the anode from contacting the case, and just insulate the case on the outside with pretty blue plastic. Such a layer might also take up space and reduce the volumetric capacity of the battery.

Horsefly said:

Interesting! I was not aware of this.

speculation:

If the anode (+) and the case are insulated from each other and close enough together then they might form a parasitic capacitor that could explain the voltage.

But this kind of assumes there is no such capacitance (or much much less) between the case and the cathode. Otherwise the case voltage would be something less than the battery voltage - which it wasn't.

I've thought of some experiments I could do like try to measure that capacitance, or try to charge up that capacitor ... both of which seem like not such a good idea for a battery rookie. What could possibly go wrong :oops:

Or it could simply be cheaper to not add an insulating layer to the "jelly roll" to prevent the anode from contacting the case, and just insulate the case on the outside with pretty blue plastic. Such a layer might also take up space and reduce the volumetric capacity of the battery.
Well, I should point out that although I've tested a couple of cells and don't see any current between the case and either terminal, I still do like most others and try to insulate the case from each cell from other cells and from any possible short to either terminal. I don't think there is an issue, but I don't want to take a chance. o_O

Yep. I am going to do that also. The blue plastic seems a bit vulnerable. Using FR4 < 1mm for this.

On the charging issues - JRed and I recently got my batteries in and top balanced them. He got them a few days before I got there and put them in sets of 4 on a 12V Victron charger without a BMS. 2 of the cells went up to 3.8V before he caught it and shut them down.

I ordered an iCharger S6 which arrived the same day I got there. We hooked up each set of 4 in parallel and charged at 3.65V. The iCharger is awesome, by the way. 40A at any voltage you want up to around 14.6V. (maybe higher, I haven't checked) Most of the sets were full in 10-20 minutes, but 2 of the groups ran much longer. I forget the exact amount of time but it was around 10 hours. From 0 it would have taken 28 hours at 40A, and was nowhere near that.

The 2 cells that went high settled right back down once we put them in parallel. They are now working in the full 16s banks, and are all balanced to within 10mV. There was no swelling at all. So a bit of over-voltage is fine, nothing to worry about. Along the way I did some research and found that people used to charge these above 4V and discovered that battery life suffered, so they gradually eased it back and 3.65 as a max is now a de-facto standard. But that does not mean they can't ever go over that and will immediately die. It's more like many cycles at higher voltages will begin to do damage and shorten life.

I recommend the iCharger. S6 is 40A, X6, X8, and X12 are 30A. All are fairly similar, just have different numbers of balance leads. Their price/performance/precision/flexibility is better than any other charger I've seen for the 0-15V range.

So my boss this morning stopped by the DONCAN warehouse (Doncan Technology (Shenzhen) Co) in Houston TEXAS to pick up (64) EVE-280Ah batteries that we had ordered literally 48 hours earlier.

From beginning to end this has been a 10 out of 10 process.

First it started with Jenny Wu of Doncan Technology (Shenzhen) Co in China ... https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...9614.html?spm=a2747.manage.0.0.218271d28dDayX ... her English is better than mine and she completely understood our requirements and how we very concerned about paying for GRADE A's and getting GRADE B's 75 days later.

SOOOO the solution they have is that they have a location in Houston with stock available. There stock changes daily of course BUT Jenny can tell you exactly what they have at the time of order.

THEY DO NOT HAVE A LOCATION IN CA AS I HAD EARLIER THOUGHT THEY WOULD. ONLY HOUSTON

You can literally order the equipment from Jenny in China, send her the funds, and go and pick them up the next day. Or it seems that way to me - as long as they have the stocks.

She also has the capability of telling you exactly what they have in their US Warehouses and when different shipments will be arriving.

AND also - they can SHIP from an American warehouse directly to you so cutting your 75 days down to just a handful. You will have to pay shipping from probably CA but - and I am just guessing - but since they are shipping them from CA to Houston anyway - perhaps them shipping from CA to you (instead of houston) may not cost much more - you would have to talk to Jenny about that.

Prices are fluid I am sure due to the economy falling apart - but I think that we paid $125 per 280Ah battery plus I sure some Credit Card fee (my boss took care of all of that so not sure) ... BUT YES not the cheapest when all said and done - BUT we were able to check the batteries out right then and there - touch them - hug them - sniff them (no Biden pun intended, well maybe a little) ...

take a look at the pictures below ... we were extremely happy with what we got.

Boss said at Houston he worked with an absolutely great girl by the name of Jenny Wade who is in charge there. Everything was ready - she allowed him to randomly open various boxes (2 batteries per box - 32 boxes total) so he could look at them.

He called me and told me that these were the best packed boxes he had ever seen - and they even had the little EVE caps on the + and - ...

Not much else to say - I think Jenny is on this board as @Jenny Wu but I have not looked for her.

As a side note they actually also sell GRADE-B batteries but they are only like 10-15 dollars cheaper so why even bother ....

But they carry LISCHEN, CATL and EVE ... and all various sizes ... to be honest I think that right now they only have 280Ah and 304's in stock -- and maybe 200's since that seems to be the biggest market but AGAIN - you will need to reach out to Jenny

For the record - we have ZERO to do with this company. I nor anyone here gets any type of discount or freebie or anything and the moment something goes amiss I will drop them like a rock and let you know -- but from the packaging, the batteries appearance, the the great customer service, etc -i think that they will be my go to people for a while ...

ANYWAY - when you talk / email / chat with Jenny let her know that you saw her info on this forum @Jenny Wu and it may help - or at least she will know that there are about 10,000 forum members standing behind you so pretty sure they will not try to put anything over on you ... LOL

I am testing 2 of the batteries right now so will let you know in 24 hours how they stood up to the capacity tests ...

View attachment 65582

View attachment 65583

View attachment 65584View attachment 65585

I wanted to leave a positive review for Jenny Wu.
When I first entered into the Alibaba marketplace I could not get comfortable making a purchase because honestly anything could go wrong. I felt like ordering directly from the mainland could be a very risky venture.
Finally I was nosing around and found some extremely positive reviews about Jenny and people said such great things about her. I decided to take a chance with her as an Alibaba representative. There was no sterilized BOT language, she was absolutely on the money from the minute I contacted her all the way through. I was thankful she was able to find four 3.2, 280 amp hour cells in stock in Houston.

This may not be typical but I received them in one week.
I also decided to order a BMS from Jenny and I waited for a while and after about two weeks I began to wonder what was going on.
They seemed to be in UPS tracking number limbo.
After about another week it appeared that they were lost or stolen and there was some delay on what we were going to do next. I got a little upset and said enough's enough. Either a refund or a replacement.

Jenny came through with an excellent replacement and I received it within a week and I couldn't be more pleased with the customer service she provided.

In other words some aspects of the sale didn't go perfect but she did everything right to resolve it so what more can I ask. I cannot speak for all of Ali baba but Jenny Wu is amazing.

Randall Cothren

On the charging issues - JRed and I recently got my batteries in and top balanced them. He got them a few days before I got there and put them in sets of 4 on a 12V Victron charger without a BMS. 2 of the cells went up to 3.8V before he caught it and shut them down.

I ordered an iCharger S6 which arrived the same day I got there. We hooked up each set of 4 in parallel and charged at 3.65V. The iCharger is awesome, by the way. 40A at any voltage you want up to around 14.6V. (maybe higher, I haven't checked) Most of the sets were full in 10-20 minutes, but 2 of the groups ran much longer. I forget the exact amount of time but it was around 10 hours. From 0 it would have taken 28 hours at 40A, and was nowhere near that.

The 2 cells that went high settled right back down once we put them in parallel. They are now working in the full 16s banks, and are all balanced to within 10mV. There was no swelling at all. So a bit of over-voltage is fine, nothing to worry about. Along the way I did some research and found that people used to charge these above 4V and discovered that battery life suffered, so they gradually eased it back and 3.65 as a max is now a de-facto standard. But that does not mean they can't ever go over that and will immediately die. It's more like many cycles at higher voltages will begin to do damage and shorten life.

I recommend the iCharger. S6 is 40A, X6, X8, and X12 are 30A. All are fairly similar, just have different numbers of balance leads. Their price/performance/precision/flexibility is better than any other charger I've seen for the 0-15V range.
There is no need to charge the cell to 3.65V, you really do not gain much of anything, @3.45V is 99.5% SOC, 3.375V is 99% SOC, most in the forum set it to 3.35V (90% SOC)

There is no need to charge the cell to 3.65V, you really do not gain much of anything, @3.45V is 99.5% SOC, 3.375V is 99% SOC, most in the forum set it to 3.35V (90% SOC)
Thanks Bud. This was my first time doing this so I am not deeply familiar with these charging profiles. That's useful information. I've looked in a number of places for clarity on this point and there is a lot of conflicting information out there.

My main points were that if a cell goes a bit high for a short time it will most likely be ok, and the iCharger is a dope unit that is very versatile and useful.

Alright folks... just made my very first order on cells and on Alibaba in general. Thank you all for the very good reports and hints otherwise i would have probably quit this project.
Went with Daisy Efest from Docan and ordered EVE LF280k cells. now patiently waiting until they arrive in germany ✌️

Hello my friends! I'm sorry for the delay. On 2/8 I was married so I have been slow with my replies lately. I am back in the office now and am grateful for your support and understanding. Thank you!
Congrats, when will you have Server Rack batteries to sell? Is your company considering this?

Hello my friends! I'm sorry for the delay. On 2/8 I was married so I have been slow with my replies lately. I am back in the office now and am grateful for your support and understanding. Thank you!
Congratulations young lady.....and many, many years of happiness in front of you.

Congrats, when will you have Server Rack batteries to sell? Is your company considering this?
I'm interested as well. A guy near us builds good batteries at a decent price, but more racks, and walls with quality inside would be of interest.

Be aware that alot of hybrid inverters can work fine with 17 cells. Close to 7% more capacity.

Look for a discussion on how tightly to pack these 280ah cells. Does one want to prevent cell expansion under certain high current conditions ?
It seems using the supplied bus bar the cells cannot be tightly arranged.

Look for a discussion on how tightly to pack these 280ah cells. Does one want to prevent cell expansion under certain high current conditions ?
It seems using the supplied bus bar the cells cannot be tightly arranged.

That's one reason why we put the cells in a compression fixture.

"That's one reason why we put the cells in a compression fixture."

Can you show photo ? Or link ?

Back