diy solar

diy solar

Poor guy lost his cabin to a fire in MPP charge controller

My method is haveing duplicates in 4 different places in 3 different counties…
REDUNDANCY… The problem is ,as I age ,I forget what I have or where it is and go buy more and then have to get a new storage unit… I counted today and have 23 different hammers in my just work shed…and I have no idea why…

"This gravy train is a house of cards and that would be the straw that broke the camel's back. Please go away". When i cynically paraphrase him i actually almost believe it. :ROFLMAO:

When i was a teenager me and some friends managed to catch a ceiling on fire by boiling some hot dog weiners until all the water was gone.. nothing on the stove actually caught fire but we managed to heat the ceiling enough to catch flame. I'm guessing the vent hood wasn't running or was on low but i can't remember. Anyway, i considered it sort of an impressive feat!

As a kid I boiled dry a pot and there was a puddle of aluminum on moms glass top stove. Probably making mac and cheese.

Aluminum/Melting point 1,221°F 660.3°C

400v DC arc with no load

~120v DC no load

so... what the heck is AFCI actually going to do to prevent a fire? is the expectation that AFCI will trigger RSD modules to bring the series level voltage down? and is 80v the magic number?

1662522158334.png

I have a reservation on a Tesla Model Y with an expected del very in January 2023 and if I get my garage cleaned out by then I have no problem charging a Tesla in a garage.
I have had a deposit and a verified order on tesla truck since feb of 2020…I’m pretty low on the list in the total 1 + million orders… I will get my order fill the first year they start making them…
im thinking 2023 will be the year…bullet proof up to 9mm .. that may come in handy in some scenarios ……..jus sayin.

I have had a deposit and a verified order on tesla truck since feb of 2020…I’m pretty low on the list in the total 1 + million orders… I will get my order fill the first year they start making them…
im thinking 2023 will be the year…bullet proof up to 9mm .. that may come in handy in some scenarios ……..jus sayin.
I have one reserved too. I'm guessing my delivery won't be until 2024. That's probably a good thing because if I end up buying a house soon at these interest rates I won't be able to afford it for a couple years anyways.

I’m one of those under the bed guy’s… I keep my enemies close. I run fast

:ROFLMAO:

Mine's inside a store room in the second floor. I also bought a thermal detector and a couple more fire extinguishers. I currently use them as UPS because I'm still quite hesitant to install solar panels, because I know it won't be easy (=safety) to a beginner like me.

But still, after a few sparks from wiring them up, I treat them now with utmost respect and as family. Unknowingly we brought new "pets" to the house :ROFLMAO:

:ROFLMAO:

Mine's inside a store room in the second floor. I also bought a thermal detector and a couple more fire extinguishers. I currently use them as UPS because I'm still quite hesitant to install solar panels, because I know it won't be easy (=safety) to a beginner like me.

But still, after a few sparks from wiring them up, I treat them now with utmost respect and as family. Unknowingly we brought new "pets" to the house :ROFLMAO:
I never looked at it like that. I also have some sparky pets lol can’t live without em

I see your wind generator, but when you gonna show us your solar setup?

View attachment 110601
After revisiting this picture… I would truly love to own that…
that's a man’s dream place….a tool shop …..wood working shop, a paint shop . A small bar with a poker machine and juke box……A band practice trailer , a place for your girl friend… a place for your “ other girlfriend” , a place for a maid ( possibly a 3rd GF) …a place for yourself…( man’s gotta have some space),

a place for yer dogs and drinking buddies to get out of the weather…. … not to mention a place to hide some serious weapons…
the possibilities are endless …
yea, I like that place………..many of you guys do too…. Its just most ain’t Gona admit it… yep , that’s the way a man mind is wired.…
haaaa….J.

Hmmmm , never heard of it, but then I cancelled my cable in 2003.. there’s a lot of stuff I never saw…but I like the title of it….I used to be in a rock band called Chaos … great times on the road for years…?
After revisiting this picture… I would truly love to own that…
that's a man’s dream place….a tool shop …..wood working shop, a paint shop . A small bar with a poker machine and juke box……A band practice trailer , a place for your girl friend… a place for your “ other girlfriend” , a place for a maid ( possibly a 3rd GF) …a place for yourself…( man’s gotta have some space),

a place for yer dogs and drinking buddies to get out of the weather…. … not to mention a place to hide some serious weapons…
the possibilities are endless …
yea, I like that place………..many of you guys do too…. Its just most ain’t Gona admit it… yep , that’s the way a man mind is wired.…
haaaa….J.
Lol my family never had cable from the time I was born to when I departed.
When I departed I got it and realized Netflix was a thing around the same thing.
I didn’t spend much time in front of a screen.
I swear I didn’t live in a trailer mansion like that either even though it sounds like that.
I wish I did.
Truly versatile. A place for everything.

Reactions: JRH
There is a belief that lower voltage, lower wattage, is less likely to sustain an arc. So AFCI triggering RSD could interrupt some large fraction of these. But the two could be independent and panels remain in series until fire open-circuits the string and interrupts RSD keep-alive signal.
The Walmart and Amazon type installations of course wouldn't have RSD. That is just imposed on residential installations.
If I recall correctly the RSD requirement of 80v under the array and 30v outside the array popped up in the 2017NEC and was to go in to effect January 2019. Currently the NEC requires it for all buildings. Since the codes take years for adoption it was actually required in 2020...ish.

Throwing in my 2 cents from my experiences: DC ground fault and Arc fault protection have made the systems a lot safer. The RSD voltage thresholds now have pretty much limited the voltage down to a single panel so you are required to turn off every panel or break the connection between every panel during rapid shutdown. There is still work to do here though, an inverter detecting an arc or ground fault isn't required to initiate Rapid shutdown.

There are different arc faults but a common fault is a series arc fault which was caused a lot by poor connections, overheating, melting and burning. The way the old systems were designed was with DC combiner boxes so there was no effective way to turn off the DC circuits. 10s of Strings in parallel would just feed the faults. Yes - the strings are fused but often with faults they are high resistance hence why they get so hot and why they don't always trip overcurrent protection.

I'll attach some pictures later of burnt panels.

Back