diy solar

diy solar

Suitable charge controller for 3 phase wind turbine? Any assistance appreciated!

off.the.grid

Have no idea on the specs of this thing, but was here when I got the property.
Last owner said he had to recently replace the bearing on it. No surprises really, because it had literally been connected straight up to a 24V battery bank with no charge controller and he thought this thing was working!
I only measured about 12-15V DC when the thing was running.
So I took a look at the box on the ground that the DC cable to the battery bank connects to and found it was not only unsealed to the elements and had vent holes and contained 3 bridge rectifiers, one to each phase, see photos.
This won't do anything to charge the battery, but the problem I have is I will have to charge the battery from 30m of cable to the bank, as there are only 2 wires buried to the turbine, when ideally it should have been 3 wires, one for each phase, sending AC down to the battery bank with less losses and place the charge controller near the battery.
Do I place a proper wind turbine controller at the turbine itself in a sealed box and run 30M of cable to the battery? Or place a new bridge rectifier there and hook up to an MPPT solar controller instead at the battery?
Main issue is addressing a dump load too.
Not sure how I go about this without the right controller.
Is there a way to easily convert the 3 phase output into single phase and then place the charge controller at the battery?
TIA

Attachments

• 20230730_175121.jpg
    20230730_175121.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 20230730_170252.jpg
    20230730_170252.jpg
    283.4 KB · Views: 11
Looks like a single phase bridge rectifier.
You could use one or more of those, or individual diodes, or a 3-phase rectifier with 6 diodes.
Similar found in automotive alternator.
Diodes need heatsinking.

Midnight classic has turbine settings, is expensive, needs a clipper to limit voltage.
Some kind of shunt regulator could be simplest.

With good wind and no load, I'd expect more than 12V.

That might work if the battery bank was flooded cells and only 12V.
However it's a 24V AGM bank.

The above implies you did not take away the proper conclusions. One uses a bridge rectifier to convert 3 phase AC to DC. You're not limited to 12V.

There is little operational difference between flooded and AGM, so that's just not relevant at all.

Also my concerns about the length of cable to the battery's themselves, but can only send single phase AC down the cable.

Then you're kinda screwed. Looks like you need convert to DC and hope for the best.

Looks like a single phase bridge rectifier.
You could use one or more of those, or individual diodes, or a 3-phase rectifier with 6 diodes.
Similar found in automotive alternator.
Diodes need heatsinking.

Midnight classic has turbine settings, is expensive, needs a clipper to limit voltage.
Some kind of shunt regulator could be simplest.

With good wind and no load, I'd expect more than 12V.
I would have thought the voltage should be higher than that too, but no idea what they should put out.
However, upon inspection, it's pretty corroded with moisture and that won't be helping.
It looks like whoever installed this, wired up a bridge rectifier for each phase, there are 3 single phase bridge rectifiers in this box.
Also there could be some voltage losses over the 30m of cable that's buried.

Been looking at these, but don't think it has a dump load and looks like no way to change battery settings.
Other option is install a new 3 phase bridge rectifier and put through a solar MPPT controller at the battery bank and forget about a dump load.

There is little operational difference between flooded and AGM, so that's just not relevant at alall.
It's quite difficult for AGM batteries, charge voltages and current is critical to avoid overcharging or damaging the bank. On my epever controllers, you can set each individual parameter to suit using the manufacturer’s data, and I would want to match this to my solar controllers settings.

The above implies you did not take away the proper conclusions. One uses a bridge rectifier to convert 3 phase AC to DC. You're not limited to 12V.
All that guy did in the video was wire up a rectifier, you can't charge any battery off that properly without a charge controller of some sort, especially if the voltage out exceeds your battery banks voltage. In my case it appears it was lower than it should be, but an mppt controller would at least address this.
Once I fix up the wiring and connect to a new rectifier, I should have at least a better idea.
If I can find the model of the turbine, it may help too.

Last edited:
Other option is install a new 3 phase bridge rectifier and put through a solar MPPT controller at the battery bank and forget about a dump load.

RPM will increase in high wind, and voltage could be excessive for the MPPT. I think a clipper is needed if not a shunt regulator.

RPM will increase in high wind, and voltage could be excessive for the MPPT. I think a clipper is needed if not a shunt regulator.

The thing really whizzes up fast in a gust of wind, ive never managed to get my my meter attached at its highest RPM, but when it's been running at an average speed, it's been around 15V.
Looks like a shunt regulator could be the easiest way to implement a dummy load if I put through an MPPT?
I doubt this turbine is much over 500W but I have no real way to know unless I can find a model. It's going to be a pig of a thing to take down just to find out.

Back