diy solar

diy solar

Poor guy lost his cabin to a fire in MPP charge controller

I'm not worried about the stuff in the basement (concrete block and metal cabinet). I just hope the installers did a good job on my roof!

right.... and theoretically, arc-faults are the cause of all roof-top fires. technically, arc-faults are the cause of all panel fires, as well.

soooo.... does that mean AFCI within the SCC is unable to effectively control panel-level arc-faults? and the correct answer is apparently... yes. in theory arc-fault is detected, SCC terminates panel load. it muse be the case that even in a no-load scenario, uncontrolled arcs are occurring.

right.... and theoretically, arc-faults are the cause of all roof-top fires. technically, arc-faults are the cause of all panel fires, as well.

soooo.... does that mean AFCI within the SCC is unable to effectively control panel-level arc-faults? and the correct answer is apparently... yes. in theory arc-fault is detected, SCC terminates panel load. it muse be the case that even in a no-load scenario, uncontrolled arcs are occurring.

I would think that would be the case.

I'm going to guess that panels of the future will have micro inverters that monitor each loop of cells within the panel itsel and will be able to turn them off and then alert a master controller to sound an alarm and shut the whole system down.

400v DC arc with no load

~120v DC no load

so... what the heck is AFCI actually going to do to prevent a fire? is the expectation that AFCI will trigger RSD modules to bring the series level voltage down? and is 80v the magic number?

Hey hey hey…. your hittin close to home here… most hillbillies up here could give seminars on DIY stuff to most city folk…that’s all they have ever done.. damn clever people on many things…
we don’t know what happened with that boys gen set…. Many things including a gnawing possum could have been the cause….ya know the space shuttle exploded too…

Jim.
yes, but the space shuttle wasnt designed by us hillbillies and rednecks... ?

yes, but the space shuttle wasnt designed by us hillbillies and rednecks... ?
it would have never exploded if we built it. A rubber O -ring is what ya give yer girl when ya propose to her. ..not used on important rocket engines …
.also after the first flight, it would have been turned into the worlds biggest Still ..
and producing even now.…

it would have never exploded if we built it. A rubber O -ring is what ya give yer girl when ya propose to her. ..not used on important rocket engines …
.also after the first flight, it would have been turned into the worlds biggest Still ..
and producing even now.…
I see your wind generator, but when you gonna show us your solar setup?

1662487694059.jpeg

I dove into that thread and when he mentioned Tesla modules and a default configuration I suspected the reason was overvolting the batteries. Tesla modules are a unique voltage that do not fit many default settings. The nominal voltage is 22.8 which is easily overvolted on any typical 24 volt default setting.

I went thru it too, it was a Tesla module and he stated the MPP6048 would not hold the custom settings.

He should have not been using it to charge the Tesla module, it's that simple.
I also assume no BMS which if set properly could have stopped the disaster before the battery got hot.

He was asked about a BMS, it seems to have been ignored. When that occurs, the usual correct answer is there wasn't a BMS.

I do not know for sure that is what happened but I have seen too many reports of Tesla modules being abused to not suspect that was the case.

After going thru the post, my conclusion is the same. It is a case of someone not knowing what they were doing and not employing proper safety measures including a BMS.

I did not see any statements that concluded it was the MPP charge controller.

It is like the original post of this thread, it was insinuated. While I do have some respect for the OP of this thread, the insinuation tarnished that respect.

I'm not defending MPP by any means. But to claim it was the MPP unit that was the cause is not really correct. It is multiple errors I see in the thread on FB. Ignorance on display I guess.

What a shame.
Yes, all could have been prevented with much better choices made by the person who installed the system.

On a related matter. I get that tile backer board is pretty fireproof but is it that much more fire proof than sheetrock? EG: Why do people put hardiboard on top of sheetrock? Belts and suspenders? Is sheetrock by itself not adequate?
Well, everything that physically exists and is matter will transfer heat, so the usual most important factors are how quickly will something conduct heat through to the other side, and what is its auto ignition temperature, if combustible?

By itself, an insulating board is just a delaying tactic. I would say the main function of the hardiboard is to slow the rate of heat transfer to the more combustible structure that is usually behind it, so that hopefully the heat source melts itself open circuit or gives other safety devices time to activate, BEFORE the surface behind the board reaches auto ignition temp. Realistically almost anything BUT batteries, will melt itself to open circuit fairly quickly, and the main question is did it conduct enough heat into a combustible part of the larger structure in that short time, to take the whole thing down in flames. Now if you're talking a large battery bank that's a whole different thing because you can burn a house down with a candle and a battery pack can make a candles worth of heat for.. A WEEK?! No amount of slowing the rate of transfer is going to help if you have a house-battery-powered source of high temperature near a piece of wood. You actually need to break the flow of power to fix that one.

So limiting the flow of heat into your combustibles is pretty much the game. The board can be useful but wouldn't be necessary if we weren't screwing ignition sources directly onto wooden structures. ? And limiting the potential of your battery to contribute to a fire is on a different level than sticking a 1/2" thick anything between that and your house.

Last edited:
I am sorry for this guy..
I’m sure he was as proud and happy about what he built as any of us are/ were/ will be….
but no freedom we ever enjoy lasts very long when too many people start doing it the way most people do things…somewhat slack….. not the skilled ones , but the non- skilled.( the masses)

in general ,home grown work is either Excellent or pretty sloppy at about 20/ 80% respectively … I saw it for a decade working on boats for a living…it’s unreal what many people will do and think it’s acceptable. Rich ,intelligent , smart people…!!!
When not many people do it and you lose someone now and then we call it a an accident .. too bad , that’s a shame?.

when it starts getting popular and ya lose a lot of folks or their nieghbors or ya burn down the whole condo complex ,then here come the people with thier rules and laws and permits and regulations .. with hands out wanting money…
the more accidents we see happen the more it will seriously ramp up in the solar industry… as the money grow for installations fees ,the industry will lobby the politics to remove more and more from the list you are allowed to do…

I don’t know what the answer is .. but it always takes the same path…

I don’t know the timeline either…..

I just know it’s going to quickly get harder to do a DIY as we know it today…

Last edited:
I don't think my charge controller is going to burn its all metal encased.

But anyway the top three causes of residential fires are cooking (50% of all fires), heating equipment (12.5%), and electrical malfunction (6.3%). One in 20 home (5%) home structure fires were started by smoking materials.

An estimated 358,500 home fires occur every year. 50% of these fires start in the kitchen, 7% begin in the bedroom, and 6% are chimney fires, 4% of all residential home fires start in the living room, while 3% start from the laundry room.

None of this adds up to 100% but whatever.

“When you start mandating a fire sprinkler system, you are going to price a lot of people out of these new homes,” said Ned Munoz, vice president of regulatory affairs for the Texas Association of Home Builders, which lobbied heavily for anti-sprinkler legislation."

I guess, you only need one sprinkler in the kitchen near the stove and up to 50% of fires would get squashed.

"State and territory regulators are responsible for electrical safety. Only Victoria mandates an inspection of each installed PV system."

But anyway it makes perfect perfect sense, lets spend lots of money to have the permit gestapo crack down on the DIY solar community over a very very very rare event when just today toasters and stoves are going to start and already have started 100s and 100s of fires.

Yep, sister-in-law nearly burnt down the whole kitchen by forgetting to turn off a pot of oil.

“When you start mandating a fire sprinkler system, you are going to price a lot of people out of these new homes,” said Ned Munoz, vice president of regulatory affairs for the Texas Association of Home Builders, which lobbied heavily for anti-sprinkler legislation."
"This gravy train is a house of cards and that would be the straw that broke the camel's back. Please go away". When i cynically paraphrase him i actually almost believe it. :ROFLMAO:

When i was a teenager me and some friends managed to catch a ceiling on fire by boiling some hot dog weiners until all the water was gone.. nothing on the stove actually caught fire but we managed to heat the ceiling enough to catch flame. I'm guessing the vent hood wasn't running or was on low but i can't remember. Anyway, i considered it sort of an impressive feat!

"This gravy train is a house of cards and that would be the straw that broke the camel's back. Please go away". When i cynically paraphrase him i actually almost believe it. :ROFLMAO:

When i was a teenager me and some friends managed to catch a ceiling on fire by boiling some hot dog weiners until all the water was gone.. nothing on the stove actually caught fire but we managed to heat the ceiling enough to catch flame. I'm guessing the vent hood wasn't running or was on low but i can't remember. Anyway, i considered it sort of an impressive feat!
Wow.. defies physics ,but I feel it’s true as no one could make that up….. that just wasnt y’all’s day…I have done similar odd things as a kid… I really can’t explain how they happened.. but they did.
And afterwards my dad beat my ass , all the while shouting , “what the hells wrong with you “ …?
ahhh ,the good ole days…

I think I will build a solar shed after all....at least if that burns down it's a couple hundred in wood.
If you build it out of metal you can just start over after you clean up all the ashes

Attachments

• 4BAA8E86-2DB0-4C63-B435-CB52094A8F44.jpeg
    4BAA8E86-2DB0-4C63-B435-CB52094A8F44.jpeg
    248 KB · Views: 13
Back