diy solar

diy solar

Post your Ground Mount Setup

The starting point for me --- two 550w Renogy panels (which aren't mounted down yet). I've got two more of the Renogy panels on order and should arrive in a few weeks. I'm likely going to put some of those white stones underneath :)

Eves & rain gutter seem to be almost over top edge of panels. In my region, I think that would cast a shadow in the summer. You're in Maryland; does sun never get beyond straight overhead?

But in that case, slope of array would mean reduced production during (clear) winter days. OK if summer is when you care about. And maybe bifacial and white rock helps make up for it.

Looks like trees to the left will cast a shadow.

The only thing I'm grappling with right now (OCD kicking in) is whether or not I got that angle / slant right. I guess I'll find out once I start populating that rock, eh? :)

Check an on-line insolation calculator.

mind sharing your setup in terms of the solar, mppt and such? I started out this journey with the Ecoflow Delta Pro but am starting to re-think my strategy and just build out my battery system and such. Thanks!
I did exactly that.... got an Ecoflow River 2 Pro and then an Ecoflow Delta Pro thinking I'd go that way and expand. I actually installed a transfer switch and did some temporary wiring, plugs etc. before realizing how costly (and limiting) it was going to be to go the Ecoflow direction. Now I have a Sungold 10K48 inverter 5 Sungold 5.1k rack-mount batteries and those 6, soon to be 8 panels. That setup saved me about 50% on my December Xcel power bill.

Right now I'm flying under the radar with the backyard panels but may try to go full legal this year...dunno if I can or will actually.

Eves & rain gutter seem to be almost over top edge of panels. In my region, I think that would cast a shadow in the summer. You're in Maryland; does sun never get beyond straight overhead?
Not exactly. The sun is pretty much dead on. However, I have been thinking about raising the platform up approx 5-6 feet which would put it level or a little higher than that edge.

But in that case, slope of array would mean reduced production during (clear) winter days. OK if summer is when you care about. And maybe bifacial and white rock helps make up for it.

Looks like trees to the left will cast a shadow.
it's a really small tree that will be trimmed. Thank you for noticing. Great eye!

Check an on-line insolation calculator.

Will do, thank you.
I did exactly that.... got an Ecoflow River 2 Pro and then an Ecoflow Delta Pro thinking I'd go that way and expand. I actually installed a transfer switch and did some temporary wiring, plugs etc. before realizing how costly (and limiting) it was going to be to go the Ecoflow direction. Now I have a Sungold 10K48 inverter 5 Sungold 5.1k rack-mount batteries and those 6, soon to be 8 panels. That setup saved me about 50% on my December Xcel power bill.

Right now I'm flying under the radar with the backyard panels but may try to go full legal this year...dunno if I can or will actually.

w

Update. I am re-doing my ground setup. First, it doesn't have enough slope/angle and I need it to be almost the same pitch/angle as the roof of the garage and i'm also making it a little higher off the ground since that's where the sun will hit it perfectly. Trial & error.... more to come :)

If you're only mounting 4 panels something like this with adjustable tilt may interest you
https://diysolarforum.com/threads/ground-mount-ideas.43913/post-553852
solar-mount-1-jpg.103781

Any more pics of the role of the pvc?
Note
the bolt near the top of the 4x4s act as a hinge
a 2x4 spans the the 4x4s and the pvc rests on it
the pvc is bolted to the bottom of the "hinged" 2x4s
spaced holes are drilled in the pvc and a long bolt is inserted thru and into a hole in the 2x4 span.

panels are mounted in pairs, each is a separate mount hinged/bolted between the 4x4 uprights
the pvc is U shaped with the open ends bolted (loose enough to rotate) to the ends of the hinged/bolted 2x4s (2 per mount) allowing me to easily push or pull the wooden frame to adjust the tilt

pvc.jpg

Last edited:
Here's mine. All done by myself out of 2x2 square tubing. Since I didn't sink those piers deep enough (hit the rock shelf just two feed deep) I have added a ballast of 2 cu. yards of concrete. The other side is deeper, but I will eventually extend the pad all the way.

That's 6230W of Longi 445W panels, I used Ironridge xr100 rails and their hardware.

Attachments

• IMG_20240109_133903_585.jpg
    IMG_20240109_133903_585.jpg
    319.5 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_20240109_133917_001.jpg
    IMG_20240109_133917_001.jpg
    341.9 KB · Views: 80
Here's mine. All done by myself out of 2x2 square tubing. Since I didn't sink those piers deep enough (hit the rock shelf just two feed deep) I have added a ballast of 2 cu. yards of concrete. The other side is deeper, but I will eventually extend the pad all the way.

That's 6230W of Longi 445W panels, I used Ironridge xr100 rails and their hardware.
Very nice. I'm rethinking using wood for my next one...

I'm debating another array behind the garage, never thought to pour a pad. I could fit a few implements under it.

What's your angle? Do you know the depth? I'm guessing ~11' going by the side shot of the slab.

Here’s mine, 1st ever attempt, put this together in 2020.
Swivel casters at base for manual tracking when home; repurposed door hinges at front; have different length 2 x 4s for rear bracing (seasonal tilt adjustment).
600W PV to MPP 1012LV-MS coupled with 12V 3000W inverter.
Original 4P 460AH FLA battery bank recently began dying (almost 4 years daily cycling).
Just replaced with 400 AH LFP.
PV array is 6’8” x 6’8”.
In planning stage to soon expand array to ~2400W at ~10’ x 12.5’ to (tbd) 48V AIO.

Attachments

• IMG_4984.jpeg
    IMG_4984.jpeg
    309.4 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_4983.jpeg
    IMG_4983.jpeg
    247.8 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
I wish this was mine, this is a project I am working on the HVAC. They have 77,000 watts of panels.

Attachments

• 79985B5D-D9E1-49C0-BAB4-58E1689247AB.jpeg
    79985B5D-D9E1-49C0-BAB4-58E1689247AB.jpeg
    109 KB · Views: 81
  • 579E210C-FD73-47C2-88C2-0CECFB2753B4.jpeg
    579E210C-FD73-47C2-88C2-0CECFB2753B4.jpeg
    302.9 KB · Views: 82
9x 10 kWh Enhpase batts. Fully offgrid system? That's got to be over 100k in batteries alone.

Not a knowledgeable owner with too much money, I am in the middle of $25,000-$30,000 worth of repairs to three hp systems that are only two years old. I had a three page write up with all the installation errors.

Reactions: Zwy
Back