diy solar

diy solar

PowerPro availability

1. Can PowerPro batteries simply left standing on the floor or they must be secured or mounted on the bracket?
2. Are there any alternates to wall/stud mounting inside the garage or anti-tip method?

Lastly, any Youtube videos of DIY installers, can you please consider sharing link?
SS just released their install video yesterday.

SS just released their install video yesterday.
Can anyone tell me why the video shows a configuration which is not compliant with the spacing requirements of both devices at the 7:19 mark? The left 18Kpv has like 2-3" to the left, and I'm pretty sure the manual says almost 8". Even if that's just for two inverters next to each other I would still expect half that distance between the inverter and any other blockage to allow it sufficient airflow?

But even more obvious is the batteries have about 6" or less between them and the manual is very clear that the minimum distance is 12" between batteries and to the wall. And the battery on the right looks to have 4 of fewer inches between it and the corner/wall.powerpro_distance.png

I'm not trying to throw shade, I just want to understand if this is actually a valid install that would be warrantied and code compliant. Being able to use 8" spacing on the batteries would allow 3 in my space vs two, if I decide to do that. Thanks in advance.

SS needs to address this either in writing or an edited video. I would change my whole layout if I could put the batteries closer together.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    180.9 KB · Views: 18
I did and still not shipping yet. I'm about tired of empty promises!! I ordered on 11/22 after I canceled my first order, but I got a better price on the next sale. Either way no battery.

Said my battery shipped 5 days ago and is not picked up by the carrier yet. Sounds like stall tactics. It was supposed to be shipped 1st week in December and now by Christmas I still won’t have the battery. Very disappointed with SS at this point. I have always backed SS , but this getting out of hand.

My order from November 20th scheduled for delivery tomorrow by R and L Carriers. Hope Santa makes it to your house soon. Santa, "Who put all these solar panels on the roof, where am I supposed to park the sleigh?'

I ordered on October 31st. Nothing shipped.
Said my battery shipped 5 days ago and is not picked up by the carrier yet. Sounds like stall tactics. It was supposed to be shipped 1st week in December and now by Christmas I still won’t have the battery. Very disappointed with SS at this point. I have always backed SS , but this getting out of hand.
We are so sorry for the recent delays. If you'd like to reach out to me at engagement@signaturesolar.com, I can keep you updated on your orders. We are coming out the other side of the backordered orders and I assure you, we will be through these very soon!

Can anyone tell me why the video shows a configuration which is not compliant with the spacing requirements of both devices at the 7:19 mark? The left 18Kpv has like 2-3" to the left, and I'm pretty sure the manual says almost 8". Even if that's just for two inverters next to each other I would still expect half that distance between the inverter and any other blockage to allow it sufficient airflow?

But even more obvious is the batteries have about 6" or less between them and the manual is very clear that the minimum distance is 12" between batteries and to the wall. And the battery on the right looks to have 4 of fewer inches between it and the corner/wall.View attachment 182124

I'm not trying to throw shade, I just want to understand if this is actually a valid install that would be warrantied and code compliant. Being able to use 8" spacing on the batteries would allow 3 in my space vs two, if I decide to do that. Thanks in advance.
This is My set up and im in the country so no code or inspectors. The actual batteries are 8" or so apart. The UL test was done a lot closer and still passed .
Why would this affect warranty? This is more code related not warranty.

Your Warranty has nothing to do with the code.

This is My set up and im in the country so no code or inspectors. The actual batteries are 8" or so apart. The UL test was done a lot closer and still passed .

Google says:
It is important to note that the UL 9540A test method differs from the UL 9540 listing process. UL 9540A is referenced by NFPA 855 in the context of large-scale fire testing. The 2021 IRC also utilizes UL 9540A and allows for closer unit spacing if the ESS’s UL 9540A testing has proven that closer spacing is safe. The ESS manufacturer will provide the required unit spacing based on this 9540A testing in their installation instructions.
So I think some people on this thread want pointer to an official EG4 letter or documentation at where this is specified in the EG4 docs.

OR I guess disavowal of liability for this from EG4 (IE, it's between you and the AHJ to negotiate the IRC and 9540A interpretation). That appears to be de facto the case with UL labeling. Which is pretty unfortunate for such a heavy piece of equipment (I've seen that for small things with ambiguous UL / code state that only had a $50 total restocking fee and return shipping cost to deal with, and I guess that's not so bad).

My powerpro arrived! Thanks Solar Sovereign and SS.

Came with 55% SOC, plugged in with my 2 other powerpros at 62% SOC. All 3 changing slowly, no sun today. Can't change the AH capacity on the Sol-Ark 15 to 840 AH, keeps reseting to 560. Will let them all get full, and try again. May be awhile, nothing but rain predicted for days; better than s....

We are so sorry for the recent delays. If you'd like to reach out to me at engagement@signaturesolar.com, I can keep you updated on your orders. We are coming out the other side of the backordered orders and I assure you, we will be through these very soon!
Still waiting to get shipping confirm from 11/24 purchase. Oddly I spoke with rep at Sol Sovereign who confirm battery was in stock before I decided on the purchase. Approaching a month and all I have is emails threads of broken promises.

Still waiting to get shipping confirm from 11/24 purchase. Oddly I spoke with rep at Sol Sovereign who confirm battery was in stock before I decided on the purchase. Approaching a month and all I have is emails threads of broken promises.
I'm so sorry @Yardinc - I looked at our conversation, you purchased these from Solar Sovereign, right? I just want to ensure that there is nothing I can do for you!

FYI, I ordered my PowerPro from Signature Solar on September 15th and they haven't shipped it yet. That's well over 3 months ago! I've called many times and I've always been assured that their shipment should arrive soon or was delayed but is expected shortly. Apparently they get those orders and ship them to other people. I'm in Hawaii ($800+ shipping for the PowerPro and a mini-split) so maybe that puts me as a last priority :(

FYI, I ordered my PowerPro from Signature Solar on September 15th and they haven't shipped it yet. That's well over 3 months ago! I've called many times and I've always been assured that their shipment should arrive soon or was delayed but is expected shortly. Apparently they get those orders and ship them to other people. I'm in Hawaii ($800+ shipping for the PowerPro and a mini-split) so maybe that puts me as a last priority :(

Looking into this right now! Could you send me your order number so that I can find out what's going on, please? We will find a resolution today!

That's great news. I would expect the manufacture documentation to be the hardware requirements with a note that local code may require additional spacing since the hardware is often being installed in areas, such as yours, without those code requirements. But I'm also very new to this segment so maybe that's not the norm? As zandydroid indicates closer spacing may be allowed, but documentation would need to be provided. Can you point us to some documentation that indicates the spacing that the testing was done at?
Google says:
[It is important to note that the UL 9540A test method differs from the UL 9540 listing process. UL 9540A is referenced by NFPA 855 in the context of large-scale fire testing. The 2021 IRC also utilizes UL 9540A and allows for closer unit spacing if the ESS’s UL 9540A testing has proven that closer spacing is safe. The ESS manufacturer will provide the required unit spacing based on this 9540A testing in their installation instructions.]
So I think some people on this thread want pointer to an official EG4 letter or documentation at where this is specified in the EG4 docs.
I found the configuration details which just lists the part numbers:
It indicates to check certification 231018014GZU-001, which is here:
I also checked the 9540A certification which also does not have any of that information:

None of these documents indicate what the spacing was, and I was also not able to find anything searching around intertek's site that has spacing information for the tests conducted.

Thanks,
Doug

Back