diy solar

diy solar

Problem with Solarcabin Channel - AIBU?

If this forum degenerates into the "loudest voice is right" what is the point of the forum? Its value as a resource is hugely diminished
a defiantly incorrect user is overwhelming the forum with unhelpful answers
I’m here to simply learn and grow my understanding of solar, not the toxic BS fighting rants of this individual. He is truly diluting the value of the forum....
Those are my concern.

Would it be better to just report the technical inaccuracies to mods?
I wish a moderator would delete the thread.

IMO if you have a problem with the guy, report the posts and place him on the ignore list. If appropriate, the mods will boot him from this forum like others have been booted or he has been booted from others.

I feel a post complaining on a particular person adds fuel to a fire.

That has been done and the mods are aware and are already looking into this issue, having PM'd them. When I started this thread it was initially put on hold, but has since been enabled, so I guess the mods will be gauging feedback on this thread to decide what to do? :unsure:

Last edited:
That doesn't correct obvious technical inaccuracies. Some newbie gets bad info from someone and nobody corrects it, spends money and ends up with a system with sub par performance or doesn't work well for the situation.
I have spent far too much time correcting things... in fact all of it Burned me Out and so I backed off of here and only selectively engage now. Sadly a "FEW" have followed bad advice attained off the web and suffered, everyone does have a "personally responsibility" for their own Due Diligence.

IE did you catch the one where someone wanted to setup a solar array to produce 230V and just attach that to their AC Panel Input ? No SCC, No INverter... just Panel DC to teh panel... I couldn't even bear to look at it. I thought it must a lunatic.

Those are my concern.

That has been done and the mods are aware and are already looking into this issue, having PM'd them. When I started this thread it was initially put on hold, but has since been enabled, so I guess the mods will be gauging feedback on this thread to decide what to do? :unsure:
I think a timeout for the offender may be in order, if not already happening.

Ok,this thread shouldn't be in this section of the forum, but higher ups than I let it stand, so I will put in my .02...
My guideline is if a member is disruptive, report them... it is a very bad idea to POST aggression towards a member.
And posting "I reported you for bla bla" just make it worse.
Please.
Please.
Correct inaccurate info fine, but don't state in a forum "you are a pig, or you are a misogynist "
State x post looks bad because...
If the response is bad, report the response, don't keep replying.

"Supervstech is a jerk"
Is not an acceptable post...

But commenting that the post a member made is inaccurate, or targeting a group etc then reporting it is a good idea.

People have upbringing from all over the world and from all age groups, words can cause feelings in some people that wouldn't seem unreasonable to others. Don't just see a phrase and get triggered.
If YOU are insulted, telling the poster you have been insulted just gives delight to them if it was intentional... and fuels them to continue if it wasn't.

Do you think if I make a post that shows I am a nazi, you saying in the post I'm making nazi posts would stop me?

Think about it.

Just report issues.

Let the mods handle offenders.

Making a multiple thread into a bitchfest just makes it so more and more members get involved and warnings would need to go to everybody...

It is against the rules of forums to post insults towards a member.

So... telling a member they suck, or they are stupid, or they don't know what they are talking about are all warning rules...

Tell MODERATION the member is doing such and such... use the report link...
I know the gut reaction is to argue the point... be better.

If posts are inaccurate... respond with details about correct info...

Don't say you made a wrong post, make a correct post. Point out why your data is correct...

"Mansplaining" just causes more arguments...

I have spent far too much time correcting things... in fact all of it Burned me Out and so I backed off of here and only selectively engage now. Sadly a "FEW" have followed bad advice attained off the web and suffered, everyone does have a "personally responsibility" for their own Due Diligence.

IE did you catch the one where someone wanted to setup a solar array to produce 230V and just attach that to their AC Panel Input ? No SCC, No INverter... just Panel DC to teh panel... I couldn't even bear to look at it. I thought it must a lunatic.
Omg, please REPORT this kind of thing also... wow! That would be an explosion...

We need a list of allowed shortcuts in posts :)

Though it is fun google what some of them mean at times....
(and yes I had to google that one :ROFLMAO: )

I went thru those videos 2 weeks ago. I get so lost in youtube at times when those vids pop up.

I went thru those videos 2 weeks ago. I get so lost in youtube at times when those vids pop up.
I saw the video a long time ago where the original wild weasel crew said that. Pretty funny, especially with his southern drawl.

Ok,this thread shouldn't be in this section of the forum, but higher ups than I let it stand, so I will put in my .02...
My assumption is/was that you being an Administrator that your word stands as Forum policy. It is why I left the Forum after you asked me to.

I do agree with one thing however. Threads such as this are unproductive. OMG, I used that banned "Un" in front of a word. My apologies.

My assumption is/was that you being an Administrator that your word stands as Forum policy. It is why I left the Forum after you asked me to.

I do agree with one thing however. Threads such as this are unproductive. OMG, I used that banned "Un" in front of a word. My apologies.
I've been wondering where you went, you were missed

Oh, a mod decision stands, but it is Will who sets policy
Think of me as a traffic cop... Will is the judge

Agree, but!

When the response to the corrections is more than somewhat acidic, ok plain nasty, something has to be done!
The guy writes some strange things at times ..I agree…..almost like its AI generated or copy and pasted from a Boy Scout training manual…it can be annoying at times for sure….BUT, deciding to limit people’s opinions or speech because it’s not to another’s likening is treading on a very slippery slope .
This is a common day trend in our new modern society ….and it ain’t cool..it’s destructive.
just ignore it if it gets to ya …..chill.. be cool
IMHO of course..J

Last edited:
This thread doesn't belong in this forum.
I didn't get a good feeling from the guy, either.
But this thread can only accomplish one of two things. (Or possibly both)
It's feeding into his ego, and/or it's breaking the rules of the forum.

deciding to limit people’s opinions or speech because it’s not to another’s likening is a treading on a very slippery slope
I actually agree with that. He has made some remarks which I see as sexists / objectifying, that other's probably won't. That happens - I can live with that - I have been doing that 30+ years working a largely male-dominated industry - I wouldn't expect anyone to be banned for that - he can be ignored.

The issue I raised, was due to the confrontational responses to technical corrections - and a huge volume of them in just one week - not just directed to me, but to others who are way more experienced than I am in solar-related matters.... to the point that threads were becoming overwhelmed.

It's feeding into his ego, and/or it's breaking the rules of the forum.
I see where you are coming from and I suspect it will be eventually removed... once @Crowz wife has had the change to read it, that is!

However a) our solarcabin friend has put me on ignore, so he won't see it and b) as I mentioned above... When I started this thread it was initially put on hold, but has since been enabled, so I guess the mods will be gauging feedback on this thread to decide what to do?

I started the thread from having spent / wasted so much time over the last week trying to keep technical information correct and receiving a barrage of unhelpful and confrontational messages - not just to me, but to the likes of @sunshine_eggo and others. The aim of this thread was to see what other's reactions are because, as an engineer, I will always question my thoughts. I (personally) feel that solarcabin's input is disruptive to the aims of the forum and wanted to know "Am I Being Unreasonable"?

The DIY Solar Forum is the best online group I have ever had the pleasure to interact with.
Generally good natured, jovial and careful with facts, compared to most online forums.
There are many great members with vast experience and knowledge and I for one hope we can all do our part to "BNBR" be nice be respectful, contribute where we are knowledgable, listen where we are not and be self-moderating about how we interact with any group or gender, solar should be all inclusive.
I have a habit of trying to be 'funny', at times may come off as demeaning/rude/inappropriate, and for my own part I will try to be more careful.

Back