diy solar

diy solar

Prospect of battery tariffs in 2025 onwards

hwy17

Anti-Solar Enthusiast
I considered posting this in chit chat. It might need to be moved there if we can't keep ourselves under control, but let's try.

We in the US already live in a tariffed solar panel world, we more or less can't order straight from China, and the panels available to us on the US market come at a considerable premium to the global market. There's an exception for bifacial right now, which is cool, but we still end up paying $.30-.50 typically on the new market.

Lifepo4 battery manufacturing is trying to start up in the US: ABF, ONE, a whole raft of silly generic acronym startups are apparently on their way to try and start production. I am doubtful they are going to produce much for us, factory seconds will probably not leak out to end users and will get bought up by big money ESS instead. And even if we can get our hands on them, the factories won't have the practice and refinement that China has already gone through. I'm picturing EVE 280 V2 style disappointments, but worse.

At the same time, Chinese production has accelerated exponentially for a while and we're now looking at a supply glut and cratering prices.

I think it's possible now and the rest 2024 might be a mini golden age for us, and there is a good chance that in 2025 onwards the federal government is going to end up putting tariffs on the Chinese Lifepo4 to protect western manufacturing.

The counterargument that we can hope for is that they will keep applying the pressure by hinging the EV subsidies on the origin instead, so the EV market will be incentivized to buy American, but the ESS and DIY markets will be allowed to keep eating the global supply.

Good point, I've held off on purchasing the 32 x 280Ah cells I really want so as to build a new, larger battery. Hoping prices go down even more but thinking I need to budget for this year. :giggle:
Yeah I do feel like tariffs are unlikely to arrive during this year, and we're safe to wait out until later in 2024. I gotta save more pennies before I can buy any more now anyway lol.

I think it's possible now and the rest 2024 might be a mini golden age for us, and there is a good chance that in 2025 onwards the federal government is going to end up putting tariffs on the Chinese Lifepo4 to protect western manufacturing.
Sounds like a very convincing argument to tell SWMBO re why you need to buy lots this year ;)

I considered posting this in chit chat. It might need to be moved there if we can't keep ourselves under control, but let's try.

We in the US already live in a tariffed solar panel world, we more or less can't order straight from China, and the panels available to us on the US market come at a considerable premium to the global market. There's an exception for bifacial right now, which is cool, but we still end up paying $.30-.50 typically on the new market.

Lifepo4 battery manufacturing is trying to start up in the US: ABF, ONE, a whole raft of silly generic acronym startups are apparently on their way to try and start production. I am doubtful they are going to produce much for us, factory seconds will probably not leak out to end users and will get bought up by big money ESS instead. And even if we can get our hands on them, the factories won't have the practice and refinement that China has already gone through. I'm picturing EVE 280 V2 style disappointments, but worse.

At the same time, Chinese production has accelerated exponentially for a while and we're now looking at a supply glut and cratering prices.

The counterargument that we can hope for is that they will keep applying the pressure by hinging the EV subsidies on the origin instead, so the EV market will be incentivized to buy American, but the ESS and DIY markets will be allowed to keep eating the global supply.
envision AESC should be up and running in3 plants this year:

bowling green
South carolina
Tennessee

envision AESC should be up and running in3 plants this year:

bowling green
South carolina
Tennessee
That one sounds more promising, but I bet such a serious operation in the US is gonna have zero casual market leakage. The cells will all go to EVs, grid ESS, and the fails will get trashed. So that factory will probably be part of the argument for tariffs and give us nothing.

That one sounds more promising, but I bet such a serious operation in the US is gonna have zero casual market leakage. The cells will all go to EVs, grid ESS, and the fails will get trashed. So that factory will probably be part of the argument for tariffs and give us nothing.
well, it seems the envision cells 18650 is currently selling aren't coming from Europe ( where they also just opened 2 plants) or china....
wouldnt surprise me one iota if they are selling us based cells

Last edited:
wouldnt surprise me one iota if they are selling us based cells
It would surprise me a lot. Is there anything to suggest they aren't coming from China?

I looked into it and Envision only has publicly reported production online in the US at Smyrna TN where they took over a Leaf module plant.

Last edited:
Sorry if I'm skeptical, but there is only one lithium mine in America with 120 or so employees, with no serious prospects of opening another in the US.

There is some exploration that is about as proportional as government money being put into it. To show you how unlikely government funded grants are allowed to show any real progress, Berkshire Hathway was awarded a grant for Lithium Extraktion at the Salton sea in California, and within two weeks, had asked to change the terms of the grant.

As far as tariffs, can someone name a single thing where the government incentives actually fueled an industry and when these incentives were removed, actually survived? Plenty of things like Evergreen Solar were awarded millions, but went out of business when grants dried up.

With Tariffs on Chinese panels, neighboring countries seem to have corresponding increase in production as the Chinese decrease, which I wonder is nothing more than manufactured in China and sent to a neighboring country to put a "Made in [insert name of local country]."

I do see a huge opportunity for a wealth transfer of government funds for those who can play that game.

Sorry if I'm skeptical
Are you skeptical that battery tariffs or a good idea or skeptical that they would happen? Because those are two different things.

I think the solar panel tariffs are a good indication that battery tariffs are easily in the crosshairs. And falling prices put the pressure on.

Are you skeptical that battery tariffs or a good idea or skeptical that they would happen? Because those are two different things.

I think the solar panel tariffs are a good indication that battery tariffs are easily in the crosshairs. And falling prices put the pressure on.
I'm skeptical battery tariffs would have the desired effects. The government can enact the tariffs if they want.

If battery tariffs were enacted, I would think that would only mean that batteries would be mostly manufactured in China and sent to another country to put a "made in XXXXX" label put on it to avoid tariffs.

I'm skeptical battery tariffs would have the desired effects
Plenty of room for that debate, but they would definitely have an effect for us, higher prices right away.

If any avoidance of the solar panel tariffs exists, it doesn't translate through completely, because we do pay much higher prices for all panels.

With Tariffs on Chinese panels, neighboring countries seem to have corresponding increase in production as the Chinese decrease, which I wonder is nothing more than manufactured in China and sent to a neighboring country to put a "Made in [insert name of local country]."
China, the world's largest producer of solar panels, is believed to be selling its products through companies based in Vietnam, Malaysia, and other countries.
It was an absurd notion by our politicians that we could actually slow imports, especially considering the cost.

It was never about slowing imports from china
I know that the intention was to encourage US manufacturing but the result would have been to raise prices. Raising prices lowers demand and thereby reduces imports as well as demand for US made products.

I know that the intention was to encourage US manufacturing but the result would have been to raise prices. Raising prices lowers demand and thereby reduces imports as well as demand for US made products.
The intention has always been reaping in taxes..
The excuse was encouraging us manufactoring

The intention has always been reaping in taxes..
The excuse was encouraging us manufactoring
I would like to believe there is a little integrity in our elected officials but you're correct:
The federal government would collect the tariffs which would be paid by US citizens and the states would collect the extra sales tax also paid by US citizens .

I would like to believe there is a little integrity in our elected officials but you're correct:
The federal government would collect the tariffs which would be paid by US citizens and the states would collect the extra sales tax also paid by US citizens .
Not going to give you my thoughts on past governments :)

Trying to keep politics out the forum

Back