diy solar

diy solar

Prospect of battery tariffs in 2025 onwards

I’ve been keeping a very close eye on cell prices. I’m waiting for next week when all businesses in China are back to full time operations (many are still displaying closed status for Lunar New Year) to see if there are any further prices adjustments/decreases and then by March I’m pulling the trigger on at least another 30kwh.

I’d like to ride out until the fall, but have separate concerns about international freight stability as the winter comes to an end and things potentially “heat up” in other regions.

I hadn’t actually considered the tariff notion but that is even more alarming

Trump put a 25% tariff on goods from China. And I believe there has been a 200% tariff on solar panels for a while, hence them coming from Chinese factories out of Indochina countries. Bifacial panels being the exception as they weren’t originally included in the solar panel tariff. Trump has been saying if he gets elected he’ll put a 60% tariff on goods from China.

I recently bought a front loader/backhoe from China. The duty of 25% was pretty expensive.

When Trump Tariffs were first enacted the tarrifs were 15% on batteries, only later did it drop to 7.5%

Trump has been saying if he gets elected he’ll put a 60% tariff on goods from China.

All he he has to do is stop/eliminate the minimus rules and it will kill aliexpress / temu / shian / Waibao and all these other junk sites from operating as they are going to have to pay for broker/import on anything even if its $5.00 Right now as long as its under $800 it gets through with no taxes. BUT if you try to send something to China from the US even if its $1.00.... GOOD LORD!

It looks like the EV market is in a death spiral.
What effect that will have on battery prices and availability, I have no idea.
But it does add yet another dimension to the whole issue.

EVs will not work for the majority of the population with the charging, range, temperature, and cost issues. Not to mention anyone with more than a couple kids.

An EV would be almost useless for me.

Forcing them on people by politicians is stupid. Like 98% of things politicians try to force. They don't learn (or simply don't care).

EVs will not work for the majority of the population with the charging, range, temperature, and cost issues. Not to mention anyone with more than a couple kids.

An EV would be almost useless for me.

Forcing them on people by politicians is stupid. Like 98% of things politicians try to force. They don't learn (or simply don't care).
seems to work just fine in Norway and many other places around the world.
maybe it's not on the EV's

seems to work just fine in Norway and many other places around the world.
maybe it's not on the EV's
You don't have nearly the same amount of rural area, not even close. Heck some of our states are larger than your entire country.

And my family won't fit in a little EV. darn car seats are too big for one.

You don't have nearly the same amount of rural area, not even close.
Not that different proportionately. 95ish percent of the land rural, with 15% of the population living rural.

It's easy to think the scandi's are the most different europeans, but they're also the most similar to americans a lot of ways.

i'll just leaves this here :

A lot of SUVs are still only 5 passenger (and again good luck with big car seats). So that's not the point (and I don't have an SUV anyway).

I cannot fit most larger car seats 3 across in many vehicles. And my kids are all in the larger, bulkier car seats right now because of their ages.

Back