diy solar

diy solar

Replacing 100amp FLA in camper, need Lipo4 cells

PfloydBham

My 2 year old deep cycle battery needs replacing. I am going to build something around 80 to 100 amps as the house battery. Can someone recommend the best source for affordable cells to make a drop in replacement. I built one last Christmas for a trolling motor but it seems like a lot of things have changed since then. Thanks in advance.
Pink Floyd

The cheapest way to diy a battery is to buy cells and bms through Alibaba. I don’t know enough vendors to recommend one. It takes about 5 weeks to get here if sent by sea. There are complete batteries on Alibaba as well, but I personally wouldn’t go there without knowing what’s inside. The seller would probably be willing to show you but there have been some bad ones.

Stateside I bought and returned 120A bms through Overkill solar which looked well made and somewhat improved over its Chinese version. People here like it. If you want something you can bolt together easily the fortune cells are nice, but pricey. If you can live with a tight tape job and a couple of planks at the ends you can spend about 300 getting to 100ah, but you should look at cells of different capacity since sometimes prices vary widely and bigger cells have about the same price as smaller

Thanks, I completely agree with your DIY assessment and that's where I am going. I have been building several variations of batt packs lately in order to run LED equipment, eg, light bars and spot lites for remote locations in rural areas (feral hog outposts). They run anywhere from 12v to 30v so they have a lot of latitude for cheap, second life cells. However, for this RV type system I need to just stick in a 4s lipo pack that will work for the next 10 years. The FLA batt is about 100 amps so I guess anything over 60 amps will out perform the stock unit, so I think the best thing is to get is 60 to 120 amps at the best price for grade A or grade B cells. I think I can just cut the guts out of the FLA and stuff the Lipo components back inside. Of course, that all depends on the size of the available cells. I appreciate your thoughts. They got me closer. Good on you!
Pink

Back