diy solar

diy solar

Seems MPP dropped a new inverter...a split phase 10KW

Thanks for your input..this is all off of your LV 6048?
I now have three MPP 6048's in parallel (19kW max output)
The fridges and freezers were part of the initial set up back in 2021 thou, when I had just one MPP 6048, along with furnace fan, & well pump. The main thing is to keep the loads balanced as best you can with the 6048. For me this meant putting the well (120v) well pump on L2 the furnace fan on L1, the fridges and freezers are split evenly between L1 and L2 ( low chance they come on exactly together anyway), our furance fan runs 24/7 on low speed, so it doesn't impart a big in-rush (starting current) it just runs at a steady amperage of about 4amps (120v).

I never had an issue with the chest freezer or fridge on the TP6048 but realized there was a slight light flicker when the compressors kicked in, nothing compared to the washer agitating. The light flicker is gone with the SRNE, doing laundry is fun again; especially since the SRNE handles the dryer. The 6048 is hanging on the wall sad and powered down waiting for it's next adventure.
Which SRNE are you using? I've seen you mention it a few times but missed some of the posts here while I was on vacation.

I was looking at the Schneider one below and it's Victron counterpart.

They have a AIO version but I'm debating just getting a CC and adding to the ones above to keep them modular.

Being as it's stackable, has "zero export" capabilities and might be cheap.. it could be very popular. I imagine it will have "industry average" idle current for it's cost range. You want low idle, you get to pay for low idle.
I wanted to know what the idle consumption is. As Lithium Solar pointed out, some very similar models of the 6548's have considerable differences in Idle consumption, it seemed the units with higher DC PV input voltage capacity were much higher in Idle current. This new 10kW unit appears to also have high DC PV input voltage capacity - thought I would ask if anyone knows the idle consumption.
Don't see it in the spec sheet, unless I am missing it somewhere.

I now have three MPP 6048's in parallel (19kW max output)
The fridges and freezers were part of the initial set up back in 2021 thou, when I had just one MPP 6048, along with furnace fan, & well pump. The main thing is to keep the loads balanced as best you can with the 6048. For me this meant putting the well (120v) well pump on L2 the furnace fan on L1, the fridges and freezers are split evenly between L1 and L2 ( low chance they come on exactly together anyway), our furance fan runs 24/7 on low speed, so it doesn't impart a big in-rush (starting current) it just runs at a steady amperage of about 4amps (120v).
Dam, it starts your well pump? I like the idea of one of these for their price point. You've seem to have had good luck with them. But from what I've read today and a little web surfing it seems like only some people get as lucky as you with long term durability. Maybe it just their newer stuff that suck. I know Will like these as he's mentioned a few times he knows people that have used them to build power walls. I'm leaning towards needing durability because if the unit goes out I'm loosing thousands and thousands of dollars in meat and produce.

I wanted to know what the idle consumption is. As Lithium Solar pointed out, some very similar models of the 6548's have considerable differences in Idle consumption, it seemed the units with higher DC PV input voltage capacity were much higher in Idle current. This new 10kW unit appears to also have high DC PV input voltage capacity - thought I would ask if anyone knows the idle consumption.
Don't see it in the spec sheet, unless I am missing it somewhere.
It's not listed..I didn't see it either.

Sure, that one model is decent but, as others have pointed out, recent new product trend is worse. As a brand overall, MPP is not getting better.
I've seen threads where an inverter (doesn't matter the brand) really isn't big enough for the loads. I've seen threads where there wasn't enough battery. I've seen threads where the cable size used leads to large voltage drops.

The point is not every installation is a "winner". Some are marginal and this leads to problems.

I can say that the LV6548's have done everything I expected them to and the Growatt 3000LVM in my truck camper has done everything I needed and expected. These were all models purchased before covid and supply chain constraints.

Whether components have changed or not, I can't say at this time. I doubt you have any proof this has occurred either. I did see a video about the EG4 6500EX and the eeprom issue. Whether that applies to MPP or Growatt for those manufacture dates remains to be seen.

Dam, it starts your well pump? I like the idea of one of these for their price point. You've seem to have had good luck with them. But from what I've read today and a little web surfing it seems like only some people get as lucky as you with long term durability. Maybe it just their newer stuff that suck. I know Will like these as he's mentioned a few times he knows people that have used them to build power walls. I'm leaning towards needing durability because if the unit goes out I'm loosing thousands and thousands of dollars in meat and produce.
I run my 3/4 hp well pump off the LV6548's no problem. Pump is about 100 feet down a 240 foot well. You need to check the load of the well pump at startup and also the startup of your freezers and fridge. Add that all together and then you can determine how large your inverter needs to be.

I can't say if the older or newer ones are really any different, I bought first one Feb 2021, the second Mar 2022, and the third one in July this year, 2023.
They are all interconnected and work perfectly together. I have a tendancy to push equipment hard (I expect stuff to work) so if these were fraile crap I think it would have shown by now!
I have run welding equipment, 6Hp upright air compressor, 3Hp TS, 2Hp dust collection - I have a few pieces of equipment with 3-5Hp 3-phase motors but these are on VFD's (always were, since the utility didn't have 3-phase in my rural area). I don't know if I am just lucky or if the 6048's are built like tanks (compared to other MPP inverters) but I can say these work, and they have never given me reason to say anything but "I like them".

I found two tools very handy when trying to set up to run on solar:
First piece- P3 Kil-O-Watt , plug this into the wall outlet, then plug in the fridge or a freezer or any cycling 120v load and let it run a day or a few. Then read the exact kWh the appliance has consumed, and read the exact # of hours it was recording. You now know exactly what that cycling load uses per 24hours. BUT - you don't know the in-rush current.
Second piece - Klein CL 900 clamp meter with Max min/in-rush capture. Unplug the fridge/freezer or appliance you want to check, put the meter around the hot wire (easiest to do at the panel I find) then plug in the appliance so it does a start up - the meter will record the max current for you and hold that value so you can read it. You now know the exact peak current to start that appliance.

Get these values for all your appliances, and list them out, you can now add up the max load and daily consumption you are likely to use.

Which SRNE are you using? I've seen you mention it a few times but missed some of the posts here while I was on vacation.
ASF 10kw. I have a link in my info. My only complaint is it's not able to be paralleled but I could easily split my load panels if/when I decide to go that route. I'll see what this winter brings...

I'm leaning towards needing durability because if the unit goes out I'm loosing thousands and thousands of dollars in meat and produce.
nothing wrong with going tier-one! it does cost more, but only once.
I bought the first 6048 as a bit of an experiment, and to be honest, the original motivation was to run 'a really big emergency lighting system' ie all my shop lights, since (frequent) power outages are no fun standing in the dark and pulling out the Honda... so I didn't start out with big loads in mind, or a long term Solar Power Plant.
But once I had the first 6048 and it just worked and we had a winter storm but the shop system kept the house running, yeah green light to expand - it seemed just too easy to pair another one to it, to increase capacity. Well if you can get more capacity with two, why not three? - I just stuck with the same make and model so they could all be inter-connected and work together for the big motor loads. It just all worked and I didn't see any benefit to changing. But now I am at max for this model - three is it.
To go to 24kW output, I would need two 12kW stackable inverters...yeah I am keeping an eye out on what new equipment is released over the next while, I would like to see a pair of 12-14kW inverters with lower idle than my MPP's but I am good for now and not in a hurry. I will add PV and battery for now.
Thousands of $$ of stuff in a freezer seems like a lot of risk, but frozen stuff doesn't thaw very fast, you can monitor the system and know if it fails. If you are 100% off grid, then the risks are far higher, if grid is available - you can set up an ATS and not need to worry about it. My fridges and freezers are all on a Reliance CLP and can be switched back (manually) to the grid if we ever need to.
If the budget is there, tier-one stuff all looks nice, and from what everyone says, just works.

I was looking at the Schneider one below and it's Victron counterpart.

They have a AIO version but I'm debating just getting a CC and adding to the ones above to keep them modular.

Just be aware the easy solar is 230/240V only.

Mehh. Looks like the Lux 12k, SRNE 10k and Megarevo 8K got together and had a red headed step child.
Price will be a big factor with this one I think.
12kpv / 2 mppts / 600v = 10a per mppt? Mehh...
The new app could be interesting for those that want to miss out on solar assistant.
I hope the quality is improved over other versions and the fans aren't the same screamers.
18A max per input

Unfortunately it looks like it has the same abysmal surge ability as the 6kW WP.

I did see it at the re+ show actually. Quality was mediocre. They are using the same screen as the similar waterproof models they have with numerous software issues. Hopefully they do a good job on software before it's released.
From the MPP description:

‘An important feature for a hybrid inverter is the ability to fulfill “zero grid injection“. LVX 12KW WP is able to achieve this with the use of CT sensor (sold separately) and once this feature is activated, the inverter will direct all incoming PV energy for self-consumption, as illustrated below.‘

That sure sounds a lot like ‘zero-export to CT’ functionality, which is not true ‘Zero Grid Injection’ (since and parallel-connected inverter requires at least 2-4 60Hz cycles before it can react to a load which has cycled off and reduce output…).

Did you hear or learn anything more about that feature at the re+ show?

An installed CT is no guarantee for zero export...
Btw. why isn't it included in the package with the inverter?
My Deyes come WITH the CT included.
Doesn't cost much.

new inverter looks nice I wonder what the price would, if they can come in around 2500 it will be a great option.

At 2500 it would be a good buy.
If they had that unit and the EG 18kPV available back when I first started out, I would have looked at those options for sure.
The only thing that 'saves me' during Nov to early Jan is the TOU rate difference is enough that charging up the ESS at night and running off battery all day pays. Otherwise the high idle draw of three inverters would be a killer for that time of year (rapidly approaching!) lol.

Back