diy solar

diy solar

Server Rack Inverters!? What gives?

MiDri

I've noticed a complete lack of server rack inverters in the solar community. With so many people using server racks for batteries I don't see why companies are not jumping on the rack mounted inverted train.

The only rack mounted ones I can find are targeted towards server farms and just woefully overpriced and feature poor compared to solar inverters...

Does anyone know of a company planning any in the future? Or why companies are avoiding making them? Just seems weird...

I agree. But also wonder why people keep calling them "server" rack batteries. I understand server racks, as I am ex-IT, but they are rack batteries. No server involved.
Server rack in my mind specifies 42U deep racks, vs the smaller 12U shallow racks used in battery and audio. You're not fitting a 6500EX-48 in 4U of a shallow rack, regardless of how you move around the internals.

I've noticed a complete lack of server rack inverters in the solar community. With so many people using server racks for batteries I don't see why companies are not jumping on the rack mounted inverted train.

The only rack mounted ones I can find are targeted towards server farms and just woefully overpriced and feature poor compared to solar inverters...

Does anyone know of a company planning any in the future? Or why companies are avoiding making them? Just seems weird...
Deye/sunsynk makes them

I understand server racks, as I am ex-IT, but they are rack batteries. No server involved.

I think the "server" aspect is what they are designed to power?
Like a bunch of RAM, CPU, and disk, but no well pumps or air conditioning compressors.

I think the "server" aspect is what they are designed to power?
Like a bunch of RAM, CPU, and disk, but no well pumps or air conditioning compressors.
No really in sunsynk's case, same inner parts as their other inverters, just different casing/enclosure

I meant, aren't "server rack batteries" meant to power servers? Not off-grid inverters?
They showed up in that form-factor.

Deye/sunsynk makes them

Prob not many making them because you have to deal with the airflow for cooling, whereas the batteries are passive and don't need such considerations.

As for rack mount inverters I actually have a few of them :)

They are old stuff that came with a few on the racks I acquired a long time ago. Basically ups's with external batteries but they will run off dc happily. I even have a 3 phase one. I don't remember the brand names. I have them stored at my old house. It had 4 trays of 120 volt dc batteries made up of ups batteries. HEAVY. Blew a rear strut out on my 300zx car on one of the trips back with the battery trays in the back.

Back