diy solar

diy solar

Shipping and Customs to Canada from Signature Solar

Micah123456

So i purchased an EG4LL from signature solar. Cost $400 USD to ship... ok, then at the border, it cost another $700 CAD for taxes and duties. Shipping and Duties was a third of the price... :S

Is anyone in Canada selling these? This is already a $2500 battery and i can only afford 1 :| To add $1000 to the price just to ship and clear customs is insane.

I am really surprised by this.
I thought almost every country had eliminated duties on Solar Products to speed up the Transition to green energy.
As far a I knew only China was banned on Panels, due to them covertly bypassing the Duty that was leveled on them.
You guys need to petition and shame your politicians into removing that high import duty.

Last edited:
It is criminal IMO.
Volthium sells Rack/Wall mount batteries, they are pricey but Canadian Egineered, designed. UL,ETL & Other certified.

Now here is a decent vendor and his listings for batteries... He has thr Volthiums at the bottom. Better be seated when looking !

Can you drive across the boarder, or will customs get you coming back through?

So i purchased an EG4LL from signature solar. Cost $400 USD to ship... ok, then at the border, it cost another $700 CAD for taxes and duties. Shipping and Duties was a third of the price... :S

Is anyone in Canada selling these? This is already a $2500 battery and i can only afford 1 :| To add $1000 to the price just to ship and clear customs is insane.
Hi Micah,

Does that $2,500 Canadian figure include any VATs, or is the VAT in the added $1,000 C? Or, perhaps, there is no VAT of this class of product ...

Just askin', POD

Depending on the carrier a brokerage fee is added which covers the “clearing customs” activities. Also you will have to pay GST/HST on the cost of the produc.

I am really surprised by this.
I thought almost every country had eliminated duties on Solar Products to speed up the Transition to green energy.
As far a I knew only China was banned on Panels, due to them covertly bypassing the Duty that was leveled on them.
You guys need to petition and shame your politicians into removing that high import duty.
Ya its a shame indeed, there is no interest or incentive to go green. They all just want to make money and climate c change is a good excuse for lots of people to make lots of money

It is criminal IMO.
Volthium sells Rack/Wall mount batteries, they are pricey but Canadian Egineered, designed. UL,ETL & Other certified.

Now here is a decent vendor and his listings for batteries... He has thr Volthiums at the bottom. Better be seated when looking !
Well... i guess GST is on top of that but that price is not far off what I've just spend on the battery, shipping and customs now any ways :S

Hi Micah,

Does that $2,500 Canadian figure include any VATs, or is the VAT in the added $1,000 C? Or, perhaps, there is no VAT of this class of product ...

Just askin', POD
Thats just the CAD price of the battery pretty much, maybe 100 less. Then shipping of 400 on top, then the GST and duties on top of that.

To follow up, to get the EG4LL from Sig Solar, plus shipping, customs, it totalled: $3643.92 CAD.

The equivalent unit from Volthium.com costs $3599.98 CAD before shipping

(BATTERY RACKMOUNT 51.2V – 10.24KWH / 5.12KWH – ESS)

Adding tax to Volthium and shipping which may vary definitely makes it more expensive although they say they are far better quality than Signature Solars stuff...

Ummmmm Volthium also uses Canadian Parts including Cells made in Quebec... Shhhh American's are not supposed to know that. ;-)

Ummmmm Volthium also uses Canadian Parts including Cells made in Quebec... Shhhh American's are not supposed to know that. ;-)
Thanks for that tidbit of info. Do they really manufacture the cells in Quebec?
Apparently they sell to the US Army and NASA
"Volthium brings together the best components in a single LITHIUM battery. In addition, Volthium has chosen a cell manufacturer that is world-renowned for its contribution to the automotive industry. Similarly, the manufacturer of the electronic parts and related components is famous for its contracts with the U.S. Army and NASA."

Just for Canadian options, I just received 4x 100ah batteries from Dan at Trophy Battery. Cost all in was just shy of $2750 CAD per battery, FedEx to the door in Ontario.

Thanks for that tidbit of info. Do they really manufacture the cells in Quebec?
Apparently they sell to the US Army and NASA
"Volthium brings together the best components in a single LITHIUM battery. In addition, Volthium has chosen a cell manufacturer that is world-renowned for its contribution to the automotive industry. Similarly, the manufacturer of the electronic parts and related components is famous for its contracts with the U.S. Army and NASA."
Yes, Hydro Quebec has LiFePo4 and other Patents and with Partners in Manufacturing has been involved in Canadian Extraction & Production. They have roughly a 10 Year Lead on the whole Lithium Battery Scene compared to others.... Even Solid State ! For "Political" reasons it's been fairly quiet about it but THAT is now changing quickly, especially as Tesla is talking with them and Elon is a Big Mouth !

Also check out what these folks are doing:

Also "Nano One" is a company to watch closely (Have a pile of their shares) they are building an advanced LFP Factory with their Specialized anodes.. All of this and MORE has spun out of Hydro-Quebec's foresight...

There is a crap load going on here that just does not get much attention, lot of it on purpose in fact but that is all about to bust out in about 6 months... Maggie & I are buying up certain shares before they go whacky.... Like Tesla, we started buying at $165 way back in the day and look what happened. You REALLY have to get your nose into the "quiet news" and tradies.

Pssst: List of Patents assigned to Hydro-Quebec: (long read & eye opener)

Mining Sites and such are identified, some are now in process of development and a few are already going....

With Regards to Volthium, sure they "may" be expensive but they are all Fully Certified for North America & Europe and meet the highest specs otherwise the US Armed forces nor NASA would look at them, let alone others. And if you work the Currency Exchange even with the GST (The Canadian version of VAT) your pretty close to the top quality stuff that is available in the USA.

ANOTHER ZEKRET !
And guess where their materials come from ! ROFLMA just sit when looking up prices....

The paper work should tell you what category/code the duty was collected under? This can be looked up online or call a broker.

If it was imported as a battery vs. solar or renewable energy equipment that would affect things.

Signature Solar need to know this so they can fill the paper work out so it is imported as solar or renewable engery equipemnt.

NEVER ship anything to Canada with UPS. The brokerage fees are out of this world.

Yes, Hydro Quebec has LiFePo4 and other Patents and with Partners in Manufacturing has been involved in Canadian Extraction & Production. They have roughly a 10 Year Lead on the whole Lithium Battery Scene compared to others.... Even Solid State ! For "Political" reasons it's been fairly quiet about it but THAT is now changing quickly, especially as Tesla is talking with them and Elon is a Big Mouth !

Also check out what these folks are doing:

Also "Nano One" is a company to watch closely (Have a pile of their shares) they are building an advanced LFP Factory with their Specialized anodes.. All of this and MORE has spun out of Hydro-Quebec's foresight...

There is a crap load going on here that just does not get much attention, lot of it on purpose in fact but that is all about to bust out in about 6 months... Maggie & I are buying up certain shares before they go whacky.... Like Tesla, we started buying at $165 way back in the day and look what happened. You REALLY have to get your nose into the "quiet news" and tradies.

Pssst: List of Patents assigned to Hydro-Quebec: (long read & eye opener)

Mining Sites and such are identified, some are now in process of development and a few are already going....

With Regards to Volthium, sure they "may" be expensive but they are all Fully Certified for North America & Europe and meet the highest specs otherwise the US Armed forces nor NASA would look at them, let alone others. And if you work the Currency Exchange even with the GST (The Canadian version of VAT) your pretty close to the top quality stuff that is available in the USA.

ANOTHER ZEKRET !
And guess where their materials come from ! ROFLMA just sit when looking up prices....
Thank you for the reply and additional info.
I'll definitely look into NANO.TO and/or NNOTF? Those patents are fascinating and I only parsed through them, so far.

Back