diy solar

diy solar

Snow-Free solar

rhino

Solar Wizard
Some passive strip that can be applied to bottom of even old solar panels to help clear snow off automatically. Not exactly sure how it works or what it is.. but requires no external power source. Currently being tested in installations and supposed to be available for sale next year.

The concept is very interesting. Especially with all the snow we get here.

Not very clear on what it is. Is it attached to the panel or a coating sprayed on the panel?

But, then you'll read this...

The strip coatings apply to the lower edge of the panel, resulting in passive snow removal without requiring any energy to operate.”

“Our strip coating does not interfere with absorption of sunlight

:unsure: No big deal. Probably a fumble on the wording.

Deliberately vague. Trying to sell a product. Presumably they will patent it and they don't want to encourage knock-off copies.
We'll still need to allow sufficient vertical clearance below the lower edge so accumulated snow doesn't back up and cover the panels. What's the forecasted accumulation this winter?

Some passive strip that can be applied to bottom of even old solar panels to help clear snow off automatically. Not exactly sure how it works or what it is.. but requires no external power source. Currently being tested in installations and supposed to be available for sale next year.

I’m open to hear more , we get tons of snow here..nov - april…
but there is few real facts in the marketing pitch to build credibility…I would love somthing like this to work.
BUT , if it’s on the World Wide Interweb then it’s almost gotta be true…doesn’t it..?

Would be somewhat funny if it is just some super slippery tape to make it easier for the snow to slide over the aluminum frame lip at bottom although you would have thought it would have been better for it to be black.

Would be somewhat funny if it is just some super slippery tape to make it easier for the snow to slide over the aluminum frame lip at bottom although you would have thought it would have been better for it to be black.
You joke about that but that was the first thing that came to my mind when I saw the video…

Anyone tried Ceramic coating (for car paint) on panels?
Detriment to production or just a plus?

That is exactly what it looked like.

The picture makes no sense ... you would think that the BOTTOM edge would have NO snow ... and if there was any snow at all it would be on the upper ridge .... this seems to be sort of nothing more than RAIN-X for snow (to over simplify) ...

I did some very simple testing of dirt on solar panels and it does seem to get stuck on the lower frame edges and build up.

So I guess the tape is sort of like the gutter guards that help move the dirt over the edge?

Probably most people in snow areas would be better off having their panels nearly vertical in the winter than tilted much.

Probably most people in snow areas would be better off having their panels nearly vertical in the winter than tilted much.
It would be better off but this obviously is not physically possible for most installs.

Living in snow and very cold area the bottom edge is a big issue that prevents snow from falling off when it would compared to if the edge wasn't there. In colder air temps like < 10F when you do get full sun the snow/ice will start melting on the dark cells themselves but when the melted snow/ice starts dripping towards the bottom of the panel and hits the aluminum frame it immediately starts to freeze again. So you tend to get an ice jam on that bottom frame which then makes it even easier for future snowfalls to collect and not slide off the panel. I have noticed black frame panels perform slightly better at preventing that ice dam compared to raw aluminum colored frames but it is still an issue.

I did some very simple testing of dirt on solar panels and it does seem to get stuck on the lower frame edges and build up.

So I guess the tape is sort of like the gutter guards that help move the dirt over the edge?

Most people that can adjust them do have them nearby vertical in the winter. It more closely may the angle of the suns rays at the time , and it sheds snow better.

I have been considering 2 options this coming winter to reduce effects of snow falling on panels
1) Install a small piece of metal roofing at just below the lower end of the panels. I have found that as snow slides off panels it often accumulates on the roof just below the panel, and then piles up. The idea is for the metal roof sheet will allow the snow to simply slide off. It would be a simple and low tech solution.
2) Install a heated cable (same as used for gutter de-icing) applied to the aluminum framing of the panel, in particular at the lower edge of the panel. The idea is to gently heat the aluminum frame to above freezing temperature, and thereby gently melt off any snow on panel. This will require 120V extension cord up to the roof

I have been considering 2 options this coming winter to reduce effects of snow falling on panels
1) Install a small piece of metal roofing at just below the lower end of the panels. I have found that as snow slides off panels it often accumulates on the roof just below the panel, and then piles up. The idea is for the metal roof sheet will allow the snow to simply slide off. It would be a simple and low tech solution.
2) Install a heated cable (same as used for gutter de-icing) applied to the aluminum framing of the panel, in particular at the lower edge of the panel. The idea is to gently heat the aluminum frame to above freezing temperature, and thereby gently melt off any snow on panel. This will require 120V extension cord up to the roof

There are some thin sheets of high molecular weight polyethylene that are sold at places like tap or mcmaster. They are so slick that almost nothing sticks to them. I use them to help move things up a plywood ramp into the back of my van. I wonder if those would work?

There are some thin sheets of high molecular weight polyethylene that are sold at places like tap or mcmaster. They are so slick that almost nothing sticks to them. I use them to help move things up a plywood ramp into the back of my van. I wonder if those would work?
Yes, some form of polyethylene sheet may work. I just felt it would be easier to work with metal and that it would handle freezing and weather wear better than plastic...

Firing up the 240V pipe heaters under the frosty panels this morning showed that my AC wiring to the roof worked great!

However, my wire nut job to the solar heater in the sola-deck only connected 1 of the 3 heating strips successfully. It still gave me enough information to make a conclusion on frost heating. Here it is:

1000013341.jpg1000013342.jpg1000013344.jpg1000013348.jpg1000013350.jpg
All arrays with full frost cover were producing power. Limiting the discussion to just the heated panels. It was between 100 w and 200 w. I flipped the breaker for the 240 v heaters. Inrush spiked to 10 A and quickly dropped about an amp a second until it settled in at about 2 A, 500 W of draw. The morning temperature low was 28 degrees F.
10 minutes passed and a quick visual inspection showed a nice hold in the ice layer on the panels that were heated. No increase in power output. Another 10 minutes passed and power draw had reduced to about 1.6 A. Not much progress on the ice holes, no increase in power output. Another 10 minutes and the sun had started popping up above the trees. Still no noticeable power increase from the panels and a pretty good-sized hole had developed on the ice that was heated. Draw remained at 1.6 A. Outside temperature had increased to 32 degrees.

Once the sun came above the trees unheated panels went from white to wet really quick. Some outpacing the heated panels. Power output grew from 200 W to 500 W. Another 30 minutes and all panels were completely clear of white. Just wet, 34 degrees and 700 W.
My conclusion, for frost, when the temperature is going to break above freezing early in the morning, just wait for the sun to melt the frost.
Another conclusion was that the power efficiency of the 240 v ice melt strips was much better than the inductive ice king roof melt wires. Sure the inrush power was higher, but that dropped within seconds and then remained lower than the inductive wires.

Back