diy solar

diy solar

So sad to see the days getting shorter...

My production has dropped from 75kwh a day to 70kwh a day but my usage has reduced by about 30% since it's no longer 5000 degrees every day. So, even though I'm producing slightly less, I'm consuming much much less (35% less roughly). On average clear days I'm over producing by 20kwh compared to this summer where I was still consuming an average of 25kwh.

Hows that thing been treating you? Mines been getting neglected since I moved into a home... lol

:) Not bad -- I have some pretty ridiculous issues on it to fix / get fixed but I'm still living in it full-time. no desire to buy a home yet. 4 years and running!

100% true. I went from 10-11 hrs of AC usage per day just 30-40 days ago, down to an average of 1hr or less some days!

unfortunately for me, I'm using more energy to try to heat with heat pump and not propane. So I make less and I use more. Double whammy!
Even if I use only propane, it's pretty hard to be 100% self-sufficient with my general usage. Thankfully there's a 50 amp plug in my parents' driveway :)

Summer (slight clouds at 16:00) - WITHOUT 400 watts of ground mount (3350 watts flat-mount on roof)

1666382144789.png

Now - WITH 400 watts of ground mount (properly angled)
1666382175421.png

Last edited:
Rolling around to this again. This time I have the CT's wired and this is my homes entire usage. Days are getting shorter, but A/C usage it going down faster. Finally started to get into the negative again.

Hows everyone else doing?

1695608370017.png

So far so good.
But still don't believe that I have enough solar for December/January.

These past 2 days have been terrible, I went from making 7-8kw per hour to under 6 per day. I'm so glad the Envision cells are on there way. I'll be up to a whopping ~37kwh, watch out Tim I'm gaining on ya ? ?.

I'm really curious how I make out over the next 4-5 months, I have high hopes with the recent ground mount.

- rain rain go away, don't drain my batteries another day; the snow will take care of that soon enough anyway -

Today I got 95.7 KWH. The most I've ever seen was over 120, but that is far from typical. Today was a bright generally sunny all day, day. High was a little over 100. My (blue) production curve was about as smooth as I get. Two complete loads of laundry, three plus hours of car charging, got the batteries into the 90's. Weekends are tough on production.

1695610584848.png

Today was the first day my batteries were not charged to 100% since late spring. I was hoping to have another 10 panels installed this year. Sadly for me it’s not going to happen.

I've spent the day watching robot tree cutter videos. I'm about to declare war on a few monster size pine trees.

Winter is coming and those suckers are getting to close to my panels with the shadows they are casting.....

Eventually, I will.
Original plan is for 60kw.
If needed, I will expand on that.
You might need to expand even higher. During overcast winter days production from a 10Kw array can be hovering at 500W to 1KW. Which would only give you around 18KWh to maybe 36KWh of power per day on a 60Kw array. With a battery bank your size to be charged plus powering the house it’s going to be impossible. Unless your home is using a very small amount of power every day.

You might need to expand even higher. During overcast winter days production from a 10Kw array can be hovering at 500W to 1KW. Which would only give you around 18KWh to maybe 36KWh of power per day on a 60Kw array. With a battery bank your size to be charged plus powering the house it’s going to be impossible. Unless your home is using a very small amount of power every day.
It's definitely an uphill battle. Because I'm also surrounded by trees, and have a hill to my south.
I will be building a "dedicated for winter" array, hopefully next year. (Or the year after)
After I clear some trees on that corner of the property.

Back