diy solar

diy solar

Sol Ark in san diego SDGE install

arslin

Hello-

I am in the planning phase of my solar system that I hope to buy by the end of the year.

I was looking at the Sol Ark 8K, but was thinking maybe a 5K would be sufficient for me (options?). I looked at the approved hardware list of inverters on SDGE website, and I do not see any Sol Ark products.

Also, what do you guys think? I am planning a small system of just ~4k of 11-12 panels. See, 2/3rds of my use is ultra-off-peak. the power is cheaper at that time, and thus the ROI is lower. During the day I tend to use less than 1KWh per hour, and in the evening I use maybe 2KWh per hour. With NEM 3, a lot of installer companies are still in the mindset of offsets. I just want to attack the small usage I do during the day (plus charge up) and have enough battery to make it a good way to midnight (ultra-off-peak).

Thanks in advance.

Why are you looking at SolArk? What is the feature set that you want from this?

Did you factor in the cost of UL9540 ESS (which includes tallying up the battery cost)

Why are you in a rush to buy by EOY? It takes months to get the context to understand this stuff, and there are no impending deadlines AFAIK in California. Unless you have a special tax situation… but that also is confusing bc it would be very difficult to lock down the system, get permits, get SDGE approval, and installed, in 5 weeks. Probably a contractor would only be able to do it by not making mistakes and taking a calculated risk on starting work without all pre approvals in place.

Last I checked the available 5K unit was the odd duckling of the lineup. So it’s a risky choice without more research. It’s only one 120V leg and not stackable to compensate for that. As such my understanding is that it is not something the POCOs in California want exporting.

I like the full range of options. I want a DC system. I do not like micro-inverters. It feels logical to take DC convert to AC only to then convert back to DC to store in the battery and then convert back to AC when you want to use it. Also, I want more options on batteries.

Did you factor in the cost of UL9540 ESS (which includes tallying up the battery cost)
I might be mistaken, but that would only matter if I sell back. I will likely just have a ~10KW rack battery. I am looking to be educated, and I have only read about that recently... There are some batteries like EC4 that say they are pending approval, but I think they have been pending for years.

Why are you in a rush to buy by EOY?
No real rush. it was a soft deadline to get a plan in place. I was hoping to have the tax rebate sooner rather than later. I have not been able to figure out if you can claim the rebait at the time of purchase or only after installation. it is logical that you can not deduct installation that has not happened. I have been passively trying to talk the wife into solar for years.

She is a very smart person but never takes even a small chance. She works at the same hospital that she agrees ... sucks. She will not risk getting a new job that might suck more. In the trolley conundrum, my wife would always pick the do-nothing option, and let 5 people die. doing nothing is always the default action. Her tepid agreement to finally actually do this... is something I need to strike while the iron is hot. We have the money and rather than remodel a bathroom that will not have any real ROI... I want something that will reduce our bills.

TrolleyFB.jpg

Last I checked the available 5K unit was the odd duckling of the lineup.

That was my impression. always looking for a better option. I am willing to entertain better options. I mean maybe I just need an SMA inverter.

I am always looking for better options. I was looking at a somewhat DIY install, but my wife has seen too many people in the ER who have fallen off roofs. so, she insisted that I have someone else do it.

If you are looking at the 8K, I think you can get a Deye for about half the cost of the Sol-Ark.

I like the full range of options. I want a DC system. I do not like micro-inverters. It feels logical to take DC convert to AC only to then convert back to DC to store in the battery and then convert back to AC when you want to use it. Also, I want more options on batteries.

OK, for DIY if you are competent to do the calculations and find someone willing to do the extra wiring work needed for DC, then microinverters only make sense in a limited set of situations (often correlated with situations where solar is silly. I have microinverters b/c my house is literally under 3 trees up here. The only way I have a hope at ROI is b/c I did DIY discount and am on NEM2)

The extra conversion adds some cost for a working system with battery.

As for SolArk battery choices. You do have a lot of UL9540 solutions, probably 6 vendors at this point.

Until SOK gets their server rack approved they're going to be kind of expensive.

I might be mistaken, but that would only matter if I sell back. I will likely just have a ~10KW rack battery. I am looking to be educated, and I have only read about that recently... There are some batteries like EC4 that say they are pending approval, but I think they have been pending for years.
UL9540 applies whether or not you sell back. It's a state building code requirement. The main difference is that, if you do not sell back, it's easier to get away with skipping it.

With current NEM3 compensation scheme, you can probably get your interconnect fee back even with the reduced payback. I think it's <$150.

EG4 18kpv should be fully approved now, and the 14kWh PowerPro battery is quite cost- efficient. Plus it is outdoor rated, and outside is a great place to put a battery for fire safety reasons.

The EG4 8K never got approved, and until the 18kpv got to the finish line I sort of assumed they were incompetent to do this.

No real rush. it was a soft deadline to get a plan in place. I was hoping to have the tax rebate sooner rather than later. I have not been able to figure out if you can claim the rebait at the time of purchase or only after installation.
I believe it's based on in-service date, that's how I factored it into planning.

I expect hybrid prices to go down a lot in the next 1-2 years. I don't have a model for how much a NEM3 user will save in SoCal, esp for a cooling dominated electrical load. Probably a lot.

I am always looking for better options. I was looking at a somewhat DIY install, but my wife has seen too many people in the ER who have fallen off roofs. so, she insisted that I have someone else do it.
I think the 5K-1P is OK for off-grid and probably UL9540 listed as a ESS. I'm not sure you will be allowed to configure it in a mode where it falls back to grid. It depends on whether it always runs parallel to grid or can transfer on/off grid as needed. SolArk pre-sales support is probably able to help you with this. Also, you will need to confirm that you can configure enough 120V loads to actually be able to use that electricity.

There will be some challenge in finding someone to install a system you design. I know at least one forum member who had the same issue (older person, + either they or their spouse didn't want to do the roof install). I didn't have the patience to figure out how to hire this way and decided to live dangerously.
If you are looking at the 8K, I think you can get a Deye for about half the cost of the Sol-Ark.
Do you have the name of a new supplier for 120/240?

Another thing about UL9540 is that I strongly assume that it is necessary if you want a hope of getting SGIP credit.

(However I think SGIP program is super backed up under SDGE)

OK, for DIY if you are competent to do the calculations and find someone willing to do the extra wiring work needed for DC, then microinverters only make sense in a limited set of situations (often correlated with situations where solar is silly. I have microinverters b/c my house is literally under 3 trees up here. The only way I have a hope at ROI is b/c I did DIY discount and am on NEM2)

The extra conversion adds some cost for a working system with battery.

As for SolArk battery choices. You do have a lot of UL9540 solutions, probably 6 vendors at this point.

Until SOK gets their server rack approved they're going to be kind of expensive.

UL9540 applies whether or not you sell back. It's a state building code requirement. The main difference is that, if you do not sell back, it's easier to get away with skipping it.

With current NEM3 compensation scheme, you can probably get your interconnect fee back even with the reduced payback. I think it's <$150.

EG4 18kpv should be fully approved now, and the 14kWh PowerPro battery is quite cost- efficient. Plus it is outdoor rated, and outside is a great place to put a battery for fire safety reasons.

The EG4 8K never got approved, and until the 18kpv got to the finish line I sort of assumed they were incompetent to do this.

I believe it's based on in-service date, that's how I factored it into planning.

I expect hybrid prices to go down a lot in the next 1-2 years. I don't have a model for how much a NEM3 user will save in SoCal, esp for a cooling dominated electrical load. Probably a lot.

I think the 5K-1P is OK for off-grid and probably UL9540 listed as a ESS. I'm not sure you will be allowed to configure it in a mode where it falls back to grid. It depends on whether it always runs parallel to grid or can transfer on/off grid as needed. SolArk pre-sales support is probably able to help you with this. Also, you will need to confirm that you can configure enough 120V loads to actually be able to use that electricity.

There will be some challenge in finding someone to install a system you design. I know at least one forum member who had the same issue (older person, + either they or their spouse didn't want to do the roof install). I didn't have the patience to figure out how to hire this way and decided to live dangerously.

OK, for DIY if you are competent to do the calculations and find someone willing to do the extra wiring work needed for DC

The company I am going through draws up plans and files for all the required permits.

The main difference is that, if you do not sell back, it's easier to get away with skipping it.

Yea, I hope to not overproduce much... it will be a marginal difference. The only time that they ever give reasonable prices is during the times that I plan on using the power from my battery anyway. So I would not be selling back.

Not sure what you mean...

Did you price it out with the corresponding battery for UL9540 config? The SMA was not previously discussed.
so am I right in assessing it as there are basically 2 options?
1) A cheap battery that is not UL9540 approved, and thus can not sell back.
2) A costly approved battery that can sell back.

If that is the case, I hope to sell back as little as I can. I know there are times of the year that it can be advantageous, but I just want to do my best to meet my needs during the day and have a battery big enough to get me to midnight. uploading is something I will only do with the small amount of excess power I have.

with SMA... I am just looking for other options. any potions that you guys might point out would be appreciated.

Pretty far off.

I am speaking of SYSTEM cost, not battery cost, because a lot of the time a cheaper inverter is only listed with expensive batteries.

Non UL9540 batteries will not pass inspection and likely would only be eligible for federal tax credit. I doubt they are eligible for rebates like SGIP, since the safest assumption is that any subsidy program other than federal tax credit requires passing an inspection.

Now once you get a UL9540 system you can choose to sell back or not.

In theory there could be UL9540 systems not approved for sell back, however nobody has one on the market AFAIK

NEM3 is set up so that you have significant incentive to self consume vs sell back.

all the certifications and approvals cost money.

Yeah, and California is only 10% of the U.S. population and some larger fraction of PV market.

so, what do people think? is a simple SMA inverter might be all I need?
Did you price it out with the corresponding battery for UL9540 config? The SMA was not previously discussed.

I like SMA, have it now and will be installing Sunny Boy Smart Energy for several new systems. Just PV initially.
Batteries can be added, e.g. BYD. Their price per kWh is about 2x what server rack batteries cost. For that, I believe you do get quality, also listed ESS.
That setup doesn't provide full backup, only 120V 1800W backup lite. I expect a $2500 auto-transformer and transfer switch to make full grid-backup system. Will have limited surge, 120% of continuous rating.

Back