diy solar

diy solar

Sol Ark in san diego SDGE install

Pretty far off.

I am speaking of SYSTEM cost, not battery cost, because a lot of the time a cheaper inverter is only listed with expensive batteries.

Non UL9540 batteries will not pass inspection and likely would only be eligible for federal tax credit. I doubt they are eligible for rebates like SGIP, since the safest assumption is that any subsidy program other than federal tax credit requires passing an inspection.

Now once you get a UL9540 system you can choose to sell back or not.

In theory there could be UL9540 systems not approved for sell back, however nobody has one on the market AFAIK

NEM3 is set up so that you have significant incentive to self consume vs sell back.
So what would you do in my boat? Only a 4kw solar. 10 to 20 kWh batteries. As budget as practical without getting crap.

Not sure. A big variable is your risk tolerance for unpermitted work, which you have not declared yet in this thread.

The cost of solar panel install won’t change much.

With NEM3 or no export agreement there is less incentive to buy a fully code compliant system.

Non code compliant, maybe EG4 6000XP with PowerPro battery. SRNE 10K is a superior value but you would only have forum support.

There isn’t very much savings to be had below EG4 battery prices, as they are the floor. ESS wise there will probably be some new players in a lower by kWh or minimum system size.

less incentive to buy a fully code compliant system.
To clarify, there is less personal incentive in the form of financial incentives or aggressive enforcement that is hard to evade

But the power company or code police could come get you. Which is also an incentive.

If you set it up as off grid with fall back to utility instead of utility assist then it’s harder to be detected (and utility has a tough leg to stand on in an enforcement action) besides your house burning down or code police seeing it during another inspection.

Not sure. A big variable is your risk tolerance for unpermitted work, which you have not declared yet in this thread.

The cost of solar panel install won’t change much.

With NEM3 or no export agreement there is less incentive to buy a fully code compliant system.

Non code compliant, maybe EG4 6000XP with PowerPro battery. SRNE 10K is a superior value but you would only have forum support.

There isn’t very much savings to be had below EG4 battery prices, as they are the floor. ESS wise there will probably be some new players in a lower by kWh or minimum system size.
I think I want full code compliant.

...and how does SDGE know if I have a battery? I get a sol-ark put 12 panels up get approval to export during the day, and then I add rack batteries and set the inverter to not esxport after 5 pm.

Ok, then there’s many fewer options. SolArk and 18kpv are the most commonly discussed here.

Wait 6-12 months and there should be build reports from the other Chinese hybrids coming on the market.

...and how does SDGE know if I have a battery? I get a sol-ark put 12 panels up get approval to export during the day, and then I add rack batteries and set the inverter to not esxport after 5 pm.

Thats an obviously battery looking export profile (Y-axis kW export, X-axis time, no battery means export will track a curve proportional to sun)

And if you get it code compliant you should just tell them and avoid issues if they detect non compliant export, also now eligible for SGIP battery credit.

As well with NEM3 it’s very unlikely for a battery less system to be rational. So potentially battery-less interconnection applications would look suspicious ?

IE that question about batteries seems academic

Consider SMA Sunny Boy Smart Energy. As of January, should be available with compliance certifications in place. But I don't know if it will be on CEC list at that time.

It is available up to 7.7kW (larger models coming end of 2024.) Up to 15kW of PV can be connected. Optional battery from BYD charged up to 10kW. That should be good for time of use rate shifting. Largest battery at this time I think 32 kWh, so about 4 hours PV production.

It will provide 120V 1800W backup lite initially. Expect an external transfer switch and auto-transformer to be introduced later supporting full house backup. Surge capability 9kW (meaning largest motor it could start is 1800W.) I expect price around $2500 for the added backup hardware.

Consider SMA Sunny Boy Smart Energy. As of January, should be available with compliance certifications in place. But I don't know if it will be on CEC list at that time.

It is available up to 7.7kW (larger models coming end of 2024.) Up to 15kW of PV can be connected. Optional battery from BYD charged up to 10kW. That should be good for time of use rate shifting. Largest battery at this time I think 32 kWh, so about 4 hours PV production.

It will provide 120V 1800W backup lite initially. Expect an external transfer switch and auto-transformer to be introduced later supporting full house backup. Surge capability 9kW (meaning largest motor it could start is 1800W.) I expect price around $2500 for the added backup hardware.

How much does the inverters and batteries cost?

Here is SMA-SBSE-7.7 for $3,235.00

12 kWh BYD, $7100. 32 kWh $17,600.

OK, so it’s +20% vs a 18kpv plus PowerPro in cost, with 10% less storage and 30% less inverter capacity. And expansion per kWh will also cost more.

But you get the backing of SMA on the inverter side wrt long term support

BYD is a huge company but there is maybe some extra geopolitical risk.

And not an outdoor enclosure.

Operating Temperature 14 °F to 122 °F

Not sure if that means heated, might be.

Biggest downside for home backup would be limited surge from HV, HF SMA inverters (120% of rated).

The big upside of course is getting a listed ESS (if you use SMA HV inverter).
EG4, I think is also listed with their LV inverter/battery.
Different price-points and reputations.

Did you ever make any progress?
I am in your locale. SMA makes excellent inverters and their new hybrids have an advantage for outdoor installation in that they are fanless convection cooling with a heat sink. Sol-Ark and Luxpower are outdoor rated, but use cooling fans. Outdoor in San Diego depending on your micro climate can be very hot as well as very dusty. On the other hand, if mounting in say a garage, they are great. The new SMA inverters do only use BYD high voltage batteries at this time. BYD are top rated batteries. But maybe only for indoor installation. there are local suppliers for UL and NFPA approved batteries that can be installed outdoor and will work great with Sol-Ark and Luxpower and others too.

It is my opinion that because of NEM 3.0, you should not sell to SDGE. You should only use your solar and batteries to self consume what you generate and avoid the high TOU rates. Furthermore, in San Diego county, there are several large corporately owned battery facilities being built, online already and planned where they charge up in the day at wholesale rates and sell back to SDGE at night when there is no PV so SDGE doesn't have to burn natural gas for power. Everyone wins except the rate payer in this system.

Also SDG&E customer and watching this thread

As for other thoughts - For utmost in theoretical efficiency, DC panel to battery makes sense. BUT, one was to consider higher voltage risk (and wiring cost), possible homeowners insurance implications, etc and panel placement options, and any chimney, tree, or other shade considerations. I could see a scenario where the DC to DC connection efficiencies are outweighed by cost and other factors. My main feedback is for OP to not assume avoiding micro-invertors/AC coupling) is best choice. I had wanted a DC coupled system for similar reasons, but in the end, an AC coupled system made more sense. it depends

It is my opinion that because of NEM 3.0, you should not sell to SDGE. You should only use your solar and batteries to self consume what you generate and avoid the high TOU rates. Furthermore, in San Diego county, there are several large corporately owned battery facilities being built, online already and planned where they charge up in the day at wholesale rates and sell back to SDGE at night when there is no PV so SDGE doesn't have to burn natural gas for power. Everyone wins except the rate payer in this system.

However, in regards to the above reply, I disagree. NEM 3.0 intentionally encourages (as it should, and I'm no fan of CPUC) time-shifting, as CA already has excess solar mid-day for many months of the year. Those of us old enough recall when time of use rates started and mid-day M-F was the most expensive... We all knew (or should have, if one was paying attention), that CA NEM was to encourage solar installs, which it was successful at, and that a further adjustment to NEM 2.0 was going to be eventually required. NEM 3.0 was late, imo, and I'm definitely not going to say CPUC got it right, BUT the switch to self-storage and time-shifting kW to avoid grid consumption during peak hours was always the eventual target. Unfortunately, battery tech is taking longer than desired, and building codes (lumping all batteries into same risk category as Li-Ion) always take a years longer to adjust.
So, I'd argue, for OP and risk-averse spouse, and self-stated grid-connected full compliance setup, the target is best financial return, however that works out to be. Unfortunately, the ROI calculation got more complicated with NEM 3.0. But, we are still some time away from volume residential solid-state (or other longer life) battery technology, so over-buying on battery now just to avoid an occasional sell-back to local util co makes no financial sense to me. I suspect, but would require more info to confirm, that buying enough battery now to avoid Peak 4-9p TOU consumption/rates (accounting for recommended max charge and discharge settings (ie something like charge to ~80%, discharge to ~20%... or whatever specific battery chemistry and mfg recommendation is), would probably be most financially advantageous. Then, as battery tech improves and consumption patters adjust, possible electrification of natural gas appliances as well as home EV charging, combined with production and consumption monitoring from newly installed system, add batteries as it makes sense. A full PV residential lifecycle challenge is adding panels (from a non-DIY perspective) gets tricky (potentially problematic) as pre NEM 3.0, many solar installers I talked to couldn't be bothered to add panels to an existing system (much more profit in full system install). As inverters are expensive, I'm inclined to think over-sizing them may be appropriate as well, but I don't know reasonable life expectations for a quality hybrid inverter.. so that would be for someone else to chime in on
So, in a scenario where assuming paying a contractor for a full solar system (PV panels, inverter, etc), it may make financial sense to over-provision panels and inverter up-front, even knowing you won't get much, if any credit, for excess production *IF* one reasonably expects significant increases to electricity consumption in not-distant future years.
The 'trick' is to get your SDG&E kWh consumption data (simple download) for a year (probably in the 15 min increments), noting any significant changes during that time (ex adding an EV, heat pump, etc), and provide that to a knowledgeable solar installers who can analyze that consumption info and provide system sizing recommendations. Previously, one could make a good estimate based on a simple monthly statement and overall monthly kWh consumption data. Now, such simplistic summarized data isn't good enough, but the required data for system sizing is freely available. The other obvious challenge is finding the right contractor/solar installer. I'd think if solar sales rep isn't asking for such detailed consumption data, that would be a good sign company/sales rep isn't sophisticated enough to fine-tune system sizing.

I too am curious if OP opportunity passed? or still in progress? or system config selected and contracted for?

Back