diy solar

diy solar

Sol-Ark Output vs Electrical Bill

The direction of the CTs can be flipped if you also swap the wires. Depending on space and how the wires leave the CT, it can sometimes be easier to have it turned around and then connect the wires the direction that results in the correct readings. If the wiring and CT direction are opposite to each other, then import and export power readings will be reversed. Think of it like a 3 way light switch setup. If both are the same way, it's okay (the light is on), if only one is flipped, the reading will be backwards (the light is off).

The bigger issue I see with that install is the lack of a decent strain relief or at least a rubber grommet on the wires. And I would use a weather sealed type as well. That raw drilled hole is going to wear through those wires and short them to ground.

That yellow sticker looks like it would say, energized at all times. Is this the utility side of the meter? If so, they are probably facing the right direction, towards the grid.

I think solark can flip it in the settings. I had to install mine backwards before they would work correctly.

I think there is even a "detect CT direction" and it will do it in software.

Let me check the manual...

EDIT: Yup

1696908633053.png

Hello all, wanted to thank everyone for the help so far, I finally got my installer to install the CTs. But I think they installed them incorrectly. Maybe someone can confirm. The CTs have arrows on them and according to Sol-Ark they should point towards the meter, my installer has them pointing down away from the meter. Can anyone confirm which is correct? Sorry for all the posts, I've been trying to get someone to come out and look and no one will take the time to do it. I must have spoken to 6 different Solar installers.
All of the stuff I have ct's on the arrow points towards the load which looks like what yours are doing from the picture but its hard to tell. So the arrows should be pointing away from the power companies meter and towards your breaker box.

But as mentioned solark has the option to auto correct it.

I'm almost sure,with Sol Ark,CT arrows point to source,which would be the meter. I'd have to check manual to be sure.
Depending on which side of the meter they are on. We can't tell from the picture.

Either way, it doesn't matter which way they point, it can be corrected with flipping the wires at the inverter, or in software.

Mine are on the other side as well:

20231010_065157.jpg

The conversation I had with Sol-Ark, the support told me to flip them so that the arrows point to the meter, which is directly above the cts. the support said he needed to switch the setting as once I flipped them the alarm went off and got a failure. Once he reset it seems to be working (I hope!)

Attachments

• Library - 1 of 1.jpeg
    Library - 1 of 1.jpeg
    230.6 KB · Views: 3
If the arrows point to the meter I'm guessing the ct's are only used to measure whats backfed and not what's used? All of my stuff is designed for consumption.

If the arrows point to the meter I'm guessing the ct's are only used to measure whats backfed and not what's used? All of my stuff is designed for consumption.
GOOD question !
Sol Ark mainly says their needed...for this n that.Specific results on most of Sol Arks "Manuel's" are fairly general,but their on-line support,,,I consider excellent !

I have seen the arrow direction for the CT sensors called out in the install manuals as toward the meter for 2 phase feeds, and toward the inverter for 3 phase installs. So it is referenced different ways in different manuals, just need to make sure you have the right manual for your inverter/ application ( most of us on this forum would have the CT sensors pointing toward the meter on the incoming feed ). As others have said, you can have the inverter check the connection and it will internally correct it ( if you have more recent firmware ).

Totally off grid 15 months. Avg power company kWh: 1500. My two 12K’s average output kWh: 1000. I guess the power companies “measure” power differently than our Sol-Arks. I know every time they changed our meter for the new improved version, our cost went up. Love our $0/mo.
I thought maybe I was crazy but I also am seeing considerably less usage on Solar then on Grid.

Back