diy solar

diy solar

Sol-Ark's Comment on EG4 18k-PV-12-LV

On one extreme the Laser Printer almost put Hewlett Packard out of business because the things lasted forever. They couldn't sell them because the old ones were still running fine.

Just bad business decisions.
All their other products of the era last forever (I'm still buying them for my electronics lab) so why suddenly depend on people replacing something which still meets their needs?
Power supplies and bench DMM cost $5000 to $10,000 back in the '80's and '90's, and I now buy them for $50 to $200. Their main clientele buy new ones for improved performance.
I bought a laser jet 1010 in the 2000's for $50 after rebate. Only stopped using because something started munging paper after I moved the office. Tore it down, reassembled, never found the problem.

Bought a laser jet all in one (2 sided to 2 sided, B&W) for $300 after rebate. Used that for years, think a power line transient killed it.

Shopping for another, I was concerned about "Protects you from counterfeit toner cartridges", so didn't buy a new home/small business model.
Instead I bought a commercial lease-return 700 color MFP for about $1500 (msrp $6000). Color, 2 sided, 11 x 17. Been working great for years.

Deye has only about 5-6 releases of Firmware updates in the last 2 years while Sol-Ark has about 30? Why is Sol-Ark constantly adding new features to their Inverters but Deye is stagnant?
Here we go again :ROFLMAO:

Sol-Ark isn't even aware of new features that Deye added 3 months ago until it appears in the "Powerview" monitoring platform that they bought from Solarman

Sol-Ark claims they designed these inverters while they are yet to release their 30K HV inverter.

SunSynk/Deye (SunSynk is owned by Deye btw) introduced it 8 months ago

BTW did anyone notice that Sol-Ark didnt even bother to change the case design this time?

Sol-Ark claims they designed these inverters while they are yet to release their 30K HV inverter.

BTW did anyone notice that Sol-Ark didnt even bother to change the case design this time?
Maybe
A - Sol-Ark doesn't mind letting Deye/SunSynk be the test market
B - Sol-Ark needs this additional time to make it their version.

Maybe
A - Sol-Ark doesn't mind letting Deye/SunSynk be the test market
B - Sol-Ark needs this additional time to make it their version.
A - Maybe
B - Have you seen teardown pictures of Deye, Sol-Ark side by side? There was a post somewhere on this forum of 8K teardown. Its the same thing.

It is clearly different.

I don't think this is correct that SunSynk is owned by Deye - where have you seen this information? I don't think @Keith Gough has been around here in a while, but perhaps he can weigh in?

Also, @Keith Gough if you are on here - is @jrcromer description of SunSynk a fair one? That is Sol-Ark designed the inverters and had Deye manufacture them and that Sunsynk is just a white labeller of Sol-Arks original design, as evidenced by the fact you don't have exclusivity in your markets?

Last edited:
One aspect of the Sol Arks that I don’t see mentioned much is how well they work with small generators. If you are off-grid (as in no grid ) a generator is a necessity in northern climes. I see a number of AIO units that need something like the Chargeverter to charge batteries with small low cost generators. I have a small Honda 7000is gas generator connected to the Grid input of my sol ark. The Sol Ark can trigger the generator start at a low battery SOC. I bought a Chargverter to play with, but disconnected it because the Sol Ark charger works way better than the chargeverter.

Sol Ark ought to promote this feature more because it’s a really nice capability (at least for people in my situation)

Here we go again :ROFLMAO:

Sol-Ark isn't even aware of new features that Deye added 3 months ago until it appears in the "Powerview" monitoring platform that they bought from Solarman

I am talking about the Inverter Firmware not the App or Web Portal.
Poweview is not owned by Deye it is owned by E-Linter Ltd.
E-Linter sells their monitoring services to several Inverter companies.
All Sol-Ark firmware updates come from Sol-Arks servers in Texas.

Last edited:
I am talking about the Inverter Firmware not the App or Web Portal.
Poweview is not owned by Deye it is owned by E-Linter Ltd.
E-Linter sells their monitoring services to several Inverter companies.
All Sol-Ark firmware updates come from Sol-Arks server in Texas.
That doesn't make sense to me since from the thread it sounded like it directly affected the operation of the inverter itself which would be the firmware.

Interesting read :LOL:

That is an interesting read. Looks like they came to a settlement, case dismissed! https://www.pacermonitor.com/public/case/43206471/Portable_Solar_v_Lion_Energy

Anyone care to guess what happened in the case? https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...ty-to-energy-storage-solutions-301784974.html

Interesting read :LOL:

"Plaintiff Portable Solar, LLC dba Sol-Ark's (“Plaintiff”) ...

Plaintiff also asserts that, in or about 2018, it entered into a Non-Compete Agreement with NingBo Deye Inverter Technology Co. Ltd. (“Deye”), and that, pursuant thereto, Plaintiff had exclusive rights in the United States and Canada (the “Territory”) to market and sell Deye's storage string inverter products and technology (collectively, the “Technology”). "

(my emphasis)

:ROFLMAO:

Plaintiff also asserts that, in or about 2018, it entered into a Non-Compete Agreement with NingBo Deye Inverter Technology Co. Ltd. (“Deye”), and that, pursuant thereto, Plaintiff had exclusive rights in the United States and Canada (the “Territory”) to market and sell Deye's storage string inverter products and technology (collectively, the “Technology”). "

(my emphasis)

Are you thinking your statement from earlier "If SolArk designed the hardware, then contracted out manufacturing, that would be very significant", might be incorrect ? ;)

(my emphasis)

I think that the key point is that Sol-Ark wants the right to sell all Deye Products, even the ones that Sol-Ark has not been directly involved with but are possibly a spin off of the original design. Example the 30K which Sol-Ark started selling right after this.

Last edited:
That doesn't make sense to me since from the thread it sounded like it directly affected the operation of the inverter itself which would be the firmware.
Nobody knows yet because Sol-Ark is in the process of moving and we cannot reach them.
There are a few of features in Powerview that are not connected to Sol-Ark inverters but seem to be used by different Inverters that E-Linter also supports. This is one of the reasons that Sol-Ark has moved to use their own version of the Software which is already available but still limited to only certain customers until it comes out of Beta.

Last edited:
Back