diy solar

diy solar

Solax system not discharging batteries

markthorpe

Hi all,
I have a Solax X1 Hybrid inverter, 2 x Triple 45Ah batteries and 5KW of panels.
We have no feed in tariff here so I do not want to send anything out to the grid.
Settings are: Self Use, Export 0W, charge/discharge from 00:00-23:59

Batteries charge up fine during sunlight (well, to Max 98% for some reason) but when load is required over and above what the panels are putting out, the inverter always pulls the extra power needed from the grid when there are a couple of perfectly good and charged batteries installed.
Same overnight - obviously no PV power and all power is pulled from the grid and not batteries.
I initially had a problem with the CT meter (Installers installed the wrong way round) but I have fixed that now.
Any idea where I may be going wrong ? I have checked all settings without finding anything that has helped.
Thanks
Mark

Hi all,
We have no feed in tariff here so I do not want to send anything out to the grid.

Batteries charge up fine during sunlight (well, to Max 98% for some reason) but when load is required over and above what the panels are putting out, the inverter always pulls the extra power needed from the grid when there are a couple of perfectly good and charged batteries installed.
Same overnight - obviously no PV power and all power is pulled from the grid and not batteries.
I initially had a problem with the CT meter (Installers installed the wrong way round) but I have fixed that now.
Any idea where I may be going wrong ? I have checked all settings without finding anything that has helped.
Thanks
Mark
Hi Mark, did you manage to resolve this? Cheers

I would try disconnecting the grid and see if it will carry loads. If it does then it would have to be in your settings.

Thanks. Must be a settings issue, appears there are a number of options I should see but don't, plus the master and slave are on different versions.

Hi all,

Thanks
Mark
Hi Mark

Recommend you check the charger status in advanced settings. Ensure the ‘Discharge current’ is set to more than 0Amps. Default is normally 25 Amps. I managed to set mine to zero. Also check charge and discharge period in basic setting to ensure that you have programmed a time for the battery to discharge. Wes

Hi Mark

Recommend you check the charger status in advanced settings. Ensure the ‘Discharge current’ is set to more than 0Amps. Default is normally 25 Amps. I managed to set mine to zero. Also check charge and discharge period in basic setting to ensure that you have programmed a time for the battery to discharge. Wes
Thanks Wes. Currenr set to 30a and period is 00:00-23:59

Thanks Wes. Currenr set to 30a and period is 00:00-23:59
Not sure what else to suggest. However, coincidentally, I’ve just gone away on holiday and found that my battery won’t discharge (hence the reason why I was on the forum). I’ve overcome the problem by momentarily selecting manual and forced discharge and then switching back to ‘self-use’. The system then has worked fine until the next time the sun sets. Rinse and repeat and all works OK.

I don’t know why it’s stopped working the day I’ve gone away. I can only think that it’s down to the very low load being required by the house when we’re away.

It may not help but it may help narrow down the issue for you. Good luck. Wes.

Not sure what else to suggest. However, coincidentally, I’ve just gone away on holiday and found that my battery won’t discharge (hence the reason why I was on the forum). I’ve overcome the problem by momentarily selecting manual and forced discharge and then switching back to ‘self-use’. The system then has worked fine until the next time the sun sets. Rinse and repeat and all works OK.

I don’t know why it’s stopped working the day I’ve gone away. I can only think that it’s down to the very low load being required by the house when we’re away.

Thanks. Solax just logged into the inverter and fixed it. Apparently charge period start and charge period end both need to be set to 00:00. Seems to be working now.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220926-181034_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20220926-181034_Gmail.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 89
Just to let anyone know and spare him many sleepless nights - in case some other people will have the problem of not discharging batteries or system is not reacting to charge / discharge time set - it was caused by differend firmware in bateries plus old firmware in inverter in my case, (my advice-do not try to upgrade it by your self) - if you give solax tech support your solax cloud info and ask them nicely :p, they can log in your inventer and fix it for you (only if you have it online ffs :) - i am happy that i choose this brand i can tell :)

Just to let anyone know and spare him many sleepless nights - in case some other people will have the problem of not discharging batteries or system is not reacting to charge / discharge time set - it was caused by differend firmware in bateries plus old firmware in inverter in my case, (my advice-do not try to upgrade it by your self) - if you give solax tech support your solax cloud info and ask them nicely :p, they can log in your inventer and fix it for you (only if you have it online ffs :) - i am happy that i choose this brand i can tell :)
I have the same problem; how did you get support from Solax and how long did they take?
Many thanks

I am experiencing exactly the same problem.

Self-use: batteries charge correctly during the day.
When PV power is no longer sufficient, the system pulls all the necessary current from the grid instead of the battery, and the inverter sits in standby mode.

If I set forced discharge, everything works, except that I have to reset self-use in the morning and so on. Very annoying!

Times are already set as 00.00 - 00.00.

The only solution is a firmware update, hopefully sooner or later?

Solax X1 AC models will charge/discharge
in Work Mode>Force Time Use as long as you enter Time Periods with Times ie
For TOU like Octopus Go time settings it will work.

No need to change back to Work Mode>Self Use after charging time period Inverter will discharge to house load outside those times for charging and also charge batterie later when solar is available

You can do all this on the phone app by solax

For Solax Hybrid it will be in the manual which have different settings but very similar

Hi I’ve recently had a Solax 3.7 hybrid inverter installed and two 5.8 kW batteries. I have noticed that even though I set the Discharge Allowed timer to 04.30 when the batteries are fully charged and at the end of Octopus Go’s cheap rate the batteries don’t always wake up and carry the load to the house but leave it to the grid until I intervene and turn the kettle on. I have also had this problem also when the battery if full during the daytime. When I’d expect the full batteries to pick up the load they don’t, the grid does. This is driving me mad, not to mention disturbing my sleep pattern! Anyone had this issue?

Hi
Hi I’ve recently had a Solax 3.7 hybrid inverter installed and two 5.8 kW batteries. I have noticed that even though I set the Discharge Allowed timer to 04.30 when the batteries are fully charged and at the end of Octopus Go’s cheap rate the batteries don’t always wake up and carry the load to the house but leave it to the grid until I intervene and turn the kettle on. I have also had this problem also when the battery if full during the daytime. When I’d expect the full batteries to pick up the load they don’t, the grid does. This is driving me mad, not to mention disturbing my sleep pattern! Anyone had this issue?
I have the same problem using octopus go . But it also doesn't switch back to the battery after export . I’ve tried with solax a number of times but so far their software updates to both the inverter and batteries has had no effect, neither has any user programmable setting. In my opinion the current switching setting is to high as I usually find that the grid is supplying less than 200w approx 1amp and will revert to the battery if the load is increased. It's driving me mad as well as does the lack of information on some of the settings . I have just had another software update and will have to wait a few days to compare grid and pv usage. Please pester solax about this if you are having similar problems then we might all get a solution!
Just spoke to another solax rep. He says it's due to the batteries entering sleep mode and not enough current being drawn to wake them up. He has disable sleep and I'm now going to monitor the situation

Last edited:
Hi

I have the same problem using octopus go . But it also doesn't switch back to the battery after export . I’ve tried with solax a number of times but so far their software updates to both the inverter and batteries has had no effect, neither has any user programmable setting. In my opinion the current switching setting is to high as I usually find that the grid is supplying less than 200w approx 1amp and will revert to the battery if the load is increased. It's driving me mad as well as does the lack of information on some of the settings . I have just had another software update and will have to wait a few days to compare grid and pv usage. Please pester solax about this if you are having similar problems then we might all get a solution!
Just spoke to another solax rep. He says it's due to the batteries entering sleep mode and not enough current being drawn to wake them up. He has disable sleep and I'm now going to monitor the situation
How have you got on with this problem.
Did you find a solution or firmware update.

Hi
You can fix this problem, where the inverter doesn't start until it has a higher load, under advanced settings and select Hotstandby and set it to disabled.

It is worth calling Solax too and checking the firmware is up to date.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230326-105504.png
    Screenshot_20230326-105504.png
    55.1 KB · Views: 49
Looks like I have a similar problem

Did your issue look like the screenshot attached? We are away on holiday so demand is low. At night, if the demand is below 100watt or so power is supplied by the grid. Above that and it comes from the inverter. Did you get a solution to the 'holiday issue' or does the Rinse and repeat method still work.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230429-075321_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230429-075321_Chrome.jpg
    263.7 KB · Views: 21
Hi
You can fix this problem, where the inverter doesn't start until it has a higher load, under advanced settings and select Hotstandby and set it to disabled.

It is worth calling Solax too and checking the firmware is up to date.
Thanks for this. After a frustrating few days trying to get SolaX technical to sort this exact problem, the solution you highlight worked wonderfully. In the end my only difficulty was getting access to 'Advanced Settings' which it turns out requires using password 6868 in the SolaX app. Why could SolaX technical not sort this out!

Back