diy solar

diy solar

SRNE Split Phase Hybrid Solar lnverter ASF Series 10Kw

battery charging power from AC goes in the same direction as grid assist to AC Load out of the inverter. Nothing is leaving the inverters AC input like a grid tie capable hybrid would do
As long as the loads are consuming, yes. But once a load powers off, there is a delay before the inverter senses the reduced load and adjusts accordingly.

And during that several ms delay, the excess power being inverted but no longer consumed goes out through the transfer switches…
couldn’t the transfer switches simply be opened stopping power from going to the grid, then how would there be current going to the grid with the path cut off..
I thought this inverter didn’t use CTs
Yes, opening the transfer switches isolates AC input from AC output and avoids any possibility of spurious exports.
yes, with my grid tie zero export inverters I see slight backfeed everytime a large load shuts off. I just wasn’t thinking that would also happen with an offgrid inverter.. but I guess if it has a grid connection that is being used as grid assist then it could happen as you explain. Although if the grid connection was only used for AC charging would backfeed still be possible?
An inverter-charger that only uses AC input to power an AC-battery charger and never shortsAC input to AC output would avoid any possibility of spurious discharge. I’ve been looking for an off-grid inverter-charger designed that way it no luck yet… (in fact just started a new thread asking about exactly that :)).
I’m fairly certain the old Aims offgrid inverters only had AC charging without grid assist. Or maybe they didn’t allow for any grid connection. I’d think there was offgrid inverters with AC charging before grid assist was a thing.
My brother has one of those and you may be correct. But they are so big, so noisy, so heavy, such inefficient, so old, and so expensive that if those are the only option, I’d prefer to get a modern hybrid, leave AC input disconnected, and spend a bit more on a separate AC charger…
Grid assist is a useful function and more I think about it due to this conversation, It’s probably difficult to find many offgrid inverters that wouldn’t also allow the AC from grid or generator to passthru to the load if it already had the AC battery charging capability.
Agree with both points,
However I’m sure there’s some that just don’t have a transfer switch and only have AC charging path to the battery.
What you would really like is an inverter that always connects AC input to AC charger and only uses transfer switches to connect AC input to AC output under user control. That and maintaining AC output synchronized to AC input as Victron does would be The Bomb (at least if it costs much less than a Victron).

But just modifying a hybrid AIO to be a true off-grid inverter and using the dry contact to control a separate grid-tied AC charger seems like a reasonable and not-too-expensive alternative…

Remind me again why exporting such a small amount of power is an issue for ya. I simply installed a UL grid tie inverter and had it inspected. No agreements or contracts because they don’t pay out or give credit for anything backfeed. then installed the zero export GTIL2s so I wasn’t giving them all my excess power for free and instead saving it in my batteries to use at night. Now any small backfeed is fine with them. They actually want my free backfed power to sell to the neighbors. I guess just getting an inspection might not be possible in your area

Remind me again why exporting such a small amount of power is an issue for ya. I simply installed a UL grid tie inverter and had it inspected. No agreements or contracts because they don’t pay out or give credit for anything backfeed. then installed the zero export GTIL2s so I wasn’t giving them all my excess power for free and instead saving it in my batteries to use at night. Now any small backfeed is fine with them. They actually want my free backfed power to sell to the neighbors. I guess just getting an inspection might not be possible in your area
I’m not sure which state you live in.

Here in California, 2 things are changing:

First, the rules for ‘parallel connection’ of inverters to grid are getting more complex.

If your inverter is not connected to grid for more than 1 minute at a time, no special permissions or approvals are needed.

But more than a 1 second connection requires as much complexity as getting a full grid-tied solar array approved (review by utility, PTO, etc…).

And second, the approval of dual-channel metering will make it impossible to hide spurious export, at least overnight when the sun is down.

Smart meters already have the capability to separately accumulate samples of net export from samples of net import, but California utilities were forced to combine net export with net import into a ‘single channel’ of net import on a one-hour interval, meaning nWh of net export would be washed out by even a single Wh of net import over a 1-hour reporting interval.

Dual-channel metering changes that. Now California Utilities can program their smartmeters to separately accumulate instances of net export from instances of net import.

That means at midnight, when your fridge cycles off and your unauthorized ‘zero-export’ hybrid inverter exports 100W for 10ms twice in one hour, that 0.56mWh / 2Ws of accumulated net export can be tracked and reported.

With the way the rules here in California are evolving, it just makes sense to design an off-grid system that is truly off grid… (full isolation between AC input and AC output).

I’m still using my GTIL inverters during daylight hours when I’ve got plenty of authorized export to mask any spurious export but I no longer run them overnight.

Last edited:
I’m not sure which state you live in.
TN, is what my location says ?. with no credit for backfeed there is no approval process. I was told by my electric company to install my setup then call for inspection. Just use a UL inverter and have an outdoor easily accessible and labeled PV disconnect. The other day I guess they were wondering why they weren’t getting any of my power for free ?. They said they needed to come buy and pull my meter to test my setup and that this was standard procedure that they periodically do. I suppose they actually thought I started to use an offgrid inverter connected to the main panel. My wife was here when they pulled the meter. She was listening from inside and heard th‘em say “that’s fn awesome”. They were referring to how the power output of my inverters stopped when they pulled the meter (confirming it was a grid tie inverter) and inverter resumed covering all of my homes loads without exporting when they put the meter back in. She also heard them say “he must have batteries”. Yes ofcourse I do ?I’m not giving y’all all my excess solar for free.. so anyways I called them up when I got home from work that day. I asked if everything was working as it should. They said yep everything was fine.
it’s getting crazy in some areas..I mean wtf is the big deal.. if the inverter has Antiislanding to protect lineman and it’s UL and zero export,,just inspect it like a regular home electrical inspection…

TN, is what my location says ?. with no credit for backfeed there is no approval process. I was told by my electric company to install my setup then call for inspection. Just use a UL inverter and have an outdoor easily accessible and labeled PV disconnect. The other day I guess they were wondering why they weren’t getting any of my power for free ?. They said they needed to come buy and pull my meter to test my setup and that this was standard procedure that they periodically do. I suppose they actually thought I started to use an offgrid inverter connected to the main panel. My wife was here when they pulled the meter. She was listening from inside and heard th‘em say “that’s fn awesome”. They were referring to how the power output of my inverters stopped when they pulled the meter (confirming it was a grid tie inverter) and inverter resumed covering all of my homes loads without exporting when they put the meter back in. She also heard them say “he must have batteries”. Yes ofcourse I do ?I’m not giving y’all all my excess solar for free.. so anyways I called them up when I got home from work that day. I asked if everything was working as it should. They said yep everything was fine.

it’s getting crazy in some areas..I mean wtf is the big deal.. if the inverter has Antiislanding to protect lineman and it’s UL and zero export,,just inspect it like a regular home electrical inspection…
I hear ‘ya.

You probably heard that California’s initial proposal for NEM 3 included a monthly tax for each Watt of solar panels you had on your roof whether they were producing any power or not.

That tax would have amounted to more than half my monthly electrical bills before I installed solar.

I don’t want to give my utility any reason to come out and ‘inspect’ my meter ;).

Looks as though Y&H is selling a rebadged 10kW split-phase SNRE inverter for $1700: https://www.amazon.com/Inverter-Spl...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Free shipping, no tax, delivery within 2 days and a 30-day Amazon-backed full-refund window.

Probably worth the (minuscule) premium over buying from China through Alibaba or AliExpress…

As I scan the market, I’m not finding any other 10kW split-phase options (2xHF or otherwise) close to this pricepoint.

MPP Solar has a 2-box split-phase (LVX6048) but each of those is $1400 and wiring up two boxes takes up more space and is more trouble than wiring up only one…

I’m going to track you early owners for a few more months to comfort myself that any launch issues / bugs have been addressed, but if these inverters appear to match the quality of MPP’s LVX6048, I’m likely to follow in your (early adopter) footsteps…

I hear ‘ya.

You probably heard that California’s initial proposal for NEM 3 included a monthly tax for each Watt of solar panels you had on your roof whether they were producing any power or not.

That tax would have amounted to more than half my monthly electrical bills before I installed solar.

I don’t want to give my utility any reason to come out and ‘inspect’ my meter ;).

I can see why people leave that state. Bunch of authoritarian money grabbing fascists in charge by the sound of it.

May you forever fly under the radar dude.

@natehawkv8 how is this working few you after some time?
There are a few rebadged versions of this 5+5kW SRNE split-phase inverter available now:

PowerMr: https://www.amazon.com/PowMr-Inverter-AC-240V-Off-Grid-Controller/dp/B0BM9G8WPW

Y&H: https://www.amazon.com/PowMr-Inverter-AC-240V-Off-Grid-Controller/dp/B0BM9G8WPW

Hope we get a few more new owners reporting on their assessment as the back half of the year unfolds…

(and any update from natehawkv8 would be greatly appreciated…)

@natehawkv8 how is this working few you after some time?
No news from natehawkv8 - hopefully that means all is well with his inverter :).

I’m curious about how he found SRNE.

I only learned about SRNE because I reviewed an email from Sunpal informing me about the new 10kW split-phase inverter they were offering including UL1741 certification.

When I read the certificate, it stated ‘SRNE’ so I knew they were the manufacturer.

Y&H is already offering their rebadge of this inverter on eBay for $1670 ‘or best offer’ so I think we’re headed toward sale pricing of $1500 delivered…

I am unsure whether the power drawn from the grid, approximately 45-50W, is being wasted or used for the inverter output. At times, I manually switch off the AC input breaker to completely eliminate grid consumption, resulting in 0W usage.
I have not been able to find any spec on idle consumption but there is a ‘Power Saving Mode that switches off the inverter when load is under 50W and inverter is on-grid…

As for the actual utilization of the 40-50W grid consumption by the inverter, I have yet to investigate this matter. I plan to delve into it further tonight.
If you have a few minutes to perform this test, a few interested members are asking about idle consumption and here is a simple test to measure it:

-take inverter off grid (AC input not connected to grid by opening breaker controlling AC input) at night when there is no solar power and the battery is charged.

-turn off all critical loads except an AC load of 50-100W and using a clamp meter, measure both AC output current/power from the inverter as well as DC input current / power into the inverter.

That difference between DC power in and AC power out at such low output levels is dominated by idle consumption but there is also a component of I^2R losses which will grow with increasing output levels.

So for bonus points, if you can make a second similar measurement powering a higher-power load of 500-1000W, we can know how much power is consumed when the inverter is on but not powering any loads as well as how much power is lost to I^2R as output levels increase…

I have not been able to find any spec on idle consumption but there is a ‘Power Saving Mode that switches off the inverter when load is under 50W and inverter is on-grid…

If you have a few minutes to perform this test, a few interested members are asking about idle consumption and here is a simple test to measure it:

-take inverter off grid (AC input not connected to grid by opening breaker controlling AC input) at night when there is no solar power and the battery is charged.

-turn off all critical loads except an AC load of 50-100W and using a clamp meter, measure both AC output current/power from the inverter as well as DC input current / power into the inverter.

That difference between DC power in and AC power out at such low output levels is dominated by idle consumption but there is also a component of I^2R losses which will grow with increasing output levels.

So for bonus points, if you can make a second similar measurement powering a higher-power load of 500-1000W, we can know how much power is consumed when the inverter is on but not powering any loads as well as how much power is lost to I^2R as output levels increase…
I'm also curious if they're actually stackable. The "/" I'm finding in the spec sheet of the SRNE and the PowMr rebadge is concerning. I have no idea what that's supposed to mean. I have an email in to a supplier to see what they say.

I'm also curious if they're actually stackable. The "/" I'm finding in the spec sheet of the SRNE and the PowMr rebadge is concerning. I have no idea what that's supposed to mean. I have an email in to a supplier to see what they say.
I’d take that to read they will eventually have some capability to synchronize / communicate between multiple inverters, so hopefully eventually but not in this first release.

The fact that there is a RS485 port, a second RS485/CAN port and a USB port should mean it is just a matter of software /firmware…

This is ground control to major @natehawkv8, I hope your circuits aren't shorted, can you give any updates on the ASF48100U200-H?
I assume his inverter is working so we’ll for him that he no longer pays much attention to it…

At least that’s what I hope (but would appreciate an update as well :)).

Last edited:
Please don't use NEC requirements to comment on the internal wiring of manufactured items, it does not apply to manufacturers. Their rules are different. We see this a lot with generators, electricians don't believe alternator ratings because the internal wiring is smaller than they expected. However, manufacturers will use higher temperature rated wiring and take length into account.

I purchased the SRNE 10Kw ASF48100U200-H inverter from Alibaba and have been using it for 80 days.

So far no problems. I made a quick video:

It was looking for a single all-in-one that was able to do split phase and 10kw or more. I also wanted MPPT that could accept high power arrays. This model was the best fit I could find. Each MPPT in this unit can accept up to 5500 watts of solar and up to 22amps. MPPT voltage range is 125-425 with a max VOC of 500 Vdc.

I wish there was an option to parallel it to a second unit in case I add more arrays, but there is no option for that.
do you have the usb software for pc?

I purchased the SRNE 10Kw ASF48100U200-H inverter from Alibaba and have been using it for 80 days.

So far no problems. I made a quick video:

It was looking for a single all-in-one that was able to do split phase and 10kw or more. I also wanted MPPT that could accept high power arrays. This model was the best fit I could find. Each MPPT in this unit can accept up to 5500 watts of solar and up to 22amps. MPPT voltage range is 125-425 with a max VOC of 500 Vdc.

I wish there was an option to parallel it to a second unit in case I add more arrays, but there is no option for that.
Hi Nate , so now it's about a year later. What do you think of this inverter now ? I was going to get a Midnight Rosie but got hit with an unexpected LARGE tax bill $$$ ...so Rosie went on hold. Then i noticed Midnight DiY series ...which led me to SNRE , which i believe is a rebranded SNRE . What's your thoughts after a year ? My setup is an 100% off grid cabin on very remote land, currently running a Samlex PST-3000 , four AmperTime 12v-200AH at 12v . My consumption is pretty conservative except that i like to run a 3 monitor PC , Ham radio gear during contests and occasionally weld, which my Samlex did run up to about half the welders capacity. Thanks Sir !

Hi Nate , so now it's about a year later. What do you think of this inverter now ? I was going to get a Midnight Rosie but got hit with an unexpected LARGE tax bill $$$ ...so Rosie went on hold. Then i noticed Midnight DiY series ...which led me to SNRE , which i believe is a rebranded SNRE . What's your thoughts after a year ? My setup is an 100% off grid cabin on very remote land, currently running a Samlex PST-3000 , four AmperTime 12v-200AH at 12v . My consumption is pretty conservative except that i like to run a 3 monitor PC , Ham radio gear during contests and occasionally weld, which my Samlex did run up to about half the welders capacity. Thanks Sir !
We have another member, 420OhmsPA, who just purchased one direct from SRNE through Alibaba for $1380 delivered.

Not sure when his is expected to arrive but that is another datapoint you might want to track.

I don’t know whether it is in this thread or somewhere else, but the primary DIY tech at Midnight Solar has been using / testing this SRNE inverter for over a year now and has been impressed with both capability versus specifications as well as quality.

So unless you have some specific requirement you are concerned about, I believe we’re past the point of worrying this inverter is a piece of garbage and a huge mistake.

Not having tested any of these inverters myself, my sense is that this inverter delivers at least the performance and quality / reliability of any Signature Solar EG4 or MPP Solar offering.

Lack of updates from Nate or any other early owners is much more likely due to the fact that the inverter is performing so well they are paying little / no attention to it and enjoying their lives as opposed to having issues they have not taken the time to post about here on the Forum…

Back