diy solar

diy solar

Sunfunkits show their true color

I'm no longer seeing Mr.Raybuildcoolstuff as a credible person, not after seeing this test:

Sorry but my own personal tests, and what others have tested and seeing now that the company Docan engages in outright fraud, re-lasering qr codes but is recommended by Ray makes me question his judgement.

I don't know about his doxing claims but that is a one sided claim that did not materialize to anything, I have my own opinions on those as well but I will keep those to myself.
Could be Docan started out with good stuff and then decided either just to cut corners to make more money or had problems getting product and decided to lie about it anyway. Wouldn't be the first time a business started out ok and then went to s$!t. Actually fits the Chinese cultural paradigm. Get a good reputation and then monetize it while they can (make hay while there's sunshine). There's a good chance Chinese tech becomes unattainable in the next year or two as it is...and it's not going to take a hot war with Taiwan for this to play out (it's more about the hot war in Ukraine and materials that come from the region and then a Chinese aging population in the mid and long term).

Edit: Ray seems like a nice guy. I don't think it's an act.

Actually fits the Chinese cultural paradigm.
The Chinese cultural paradigm is based on Confucian philopsophy, which emphasizes relationships. Asian culture is definitely different that we are accustomed to. Our experience with Alibaba does not fit the typical Asian way of doing business based on relationships rather than being transaction oriented like the West.

The Chinese cultural paradigm is based on Confucian philopsophy, which emphasizes relationships. Asian culture is definitely different that we are accustomed to. Our experience with Alibaba does not fit the typical Asian way of doing business based on relationships rather than being transaction oriented like the West.
My wife is Korean and I lived there for 14 years and either a Korean or Chinese will straight up screw you in a business transaction before you can blink. They normally don’t directly steal or commit violent crimes, but if they can get one over on sale, they will do that in a heartbeat.

My wife is Korean and I lived there for 14 years and either a Korean or Chinese will straight up screw you in a business transaction before you can blink. They normally don’t directly steal or commit violent crimes, but if they can get one over on sale, they will do that in a heartbeat.

Pretty sure "Cho" is a Korean name, I'm sure he is going to have something to say about that :LOL:

I'm no longer seeing Mr.Raybuildcoolstuff as a credible person, not after seeing this test:

Sorry but my own personal tests, and what others have tested and seeing now that the company Docan engages in outright fraud, re-lasering qr codes but is recommended by Ray makes me question his judgement.

I don't know about his doxing claims but that is a one sided claim that did not materialize to anything, I have my own opinions on those as well but I will keep those to myself.
Can you summarise what it is he said which makes you draw that conclusion? The video is 37mins and I’m sure I’m not the only person without the time to watch it thru just to discover what your comment relates to.

Can you summarise what it is he said which makes you draw that conclusion? The video is 37mins and I’m sure I’m not the only person without the time to watch it thru just to discover what your comment relates to.

His conclusion is that there is no difference for the purpose of solar energy storage systems. He also compared the SFK cell to an Alibaba cell he bought 2 years ago, and not from Docan.

His conclusion is that there is no difference for the purpose of solar energy storage systems. He also compared the SFK cell to an Alibaba cell he bought 2 years ago, and not from Docan.
and to add, his tests basically underline what ray's tests proved, with the exceptance of skf delivering different cells for joe's test ( sfk provided 280k cells for rays test and rept cells for joe's test.)
the rept cells performed better that the eve provided by skf

Maybe my skimming through the video missed it, but I don't see how this video has ANYTHING to do with Ray. It seems like he is saying the extra money to get stuff from Sun Fun Kits doesn't get you any more capacity. I don't think he ever says anything about Docan, just about Alibaba in general. You make me question where your motives are.

For what it's worth, I bought some cells from Docan about the same time Ray did. I tested each cell with the EBC-A40L and they all had capacity higher than spec. I think over time I've seen (here on the forum) more issues with Docan, so I don't have as much confidence in them any more, but that has nothing to do with Ray.

The cells test to capacity listed on the label and have intact qr codes, they were about 12-17 Ah higher than the grade B. In other words SFK are selling what the claim. The sfk 280 cells tested to 298 AH. But the grade B was still over 280 and half the price, however, the reviewer agreed he was lied to by Alibaba seller who claimed they were grade A.

Basically all alibaba/express sellers = grade B, Sun Fun Kits expensive but is real grade A.

The cells test to capacity listed on the label and have intact qr codes, they were about 12-17 Ah higher than the grade B. In other words SFK are selling what the claim. The sfk 280 cells tested to 298 AH. But the grade B was still over 280 and half the price, however, the reviewer agreed he was lied to by Alibaba seller who claimed they were grade A.

Basically all alibaba/express sellers = grade B, Sun Fun Kits expensive but is real grade A.
Doubtful.

and to add, his tests basically underline what ray's tests proved, with the exceptance of skf delivering different cells for joe's test ( sfk provided 280k cells for rays test and rept cells for joe's test.)
the rept cells performed better that the eve provided by skf

Here are the EVE 280 cells:

That review is over a year old with a BMS, I'm sure if done directly those would have been 290+ range.

Maybe my skimming through the video missed it, but I don't see how this video has ANYTHING to do with Ray.

I'm sure at one time FTX was "good" too but now:

Claims have consequences and Raybuildscoolstuff makes it seems like grade B is just a better no problems solution when it is not.

He even says luyuan is a rip off in his videos...

Raybuildscoolstuff makes it seems like grade B is just a better no problems solution when it is not.
I don't agree with everything Ray says. I have used automotive grade and Grade B cells. My takeaway from the video was that Grade B cells can be more cost effective in a stationary storage application. I do not agree with Ray, that they are risk free. The automotive grade cells were great in an EV where I needed short bursts of current without significant voltage sag. I rarely discharge the pack at my home at more than .2C. Why would I pay twice as much for a specification that I don't need or use? It all depends on where you are standing.

Last edited:
I decided to read through this entire thread starting with the OP post downward. Surely I would find people that have 280K from sfk or other products and have gotten bad cells... Yet I did not read a single post... Nothing regarding the 280ks, or any other cell or kit, nothing from any sfk customer complaining about poor products or service. Instead every post reads like an emotional outburst: “Yeah! Let's stick it to SFK!”. These should be taken as hyperbole at best as they lack substance or backing with evidence.

I then did a google search on sun fun kits reviews and these results appeared:

https://diysolarforum.com/threads/sun-fun-kits-guy-has-no-clue.39844/

https://diysolarforum.com/threads/is-there-bad-blood-between-diysolar-and-sunfunkits.41291/

https://diysolarforum.com/threads/cell-drift-in-commercial-batteries.34231/#post-425262

All these posts transpired before the Ray review; seems to me there was significant tension here well before this thread and the Ray review was the straw that broke the camel’s back.

If I had to guess 9/10 people buy grade B cells here and no one likes to be told what they have is bad which Sun Fun Kits does routinely. So this thread is more of retaliation against Sun fun kit’s opinions rather than a review of them as a vendor or their products. If you view the facts instead of relying on your emotions it paints a very different picture.

I speak as a customer with first hand knowledge of dealing with Dwayne and Patrick and would like to hear from anyone else who has ACTUALLY dealt with sun fun kits instead of hearsay which is what majority of the posts on this thread is. If you had an actual bad experience with them, let's hear it, post like horsefly above are childish banter that do nothing, btw you should take your own advice as far as I'm concerned.

I decided to read through this entire thread starting with the OP post downward. Surely I would find people that have 280K from sfk or other products and have gotten bad cells... Yet I did not read a single post... Nothing regarding the 280ks, or any other cell or kit, nothing from any sfk customer complaining about poor products or service. Instead every post reads like an emotional outburst: “Yeah! Let's stick it to SFK!”. These should be taken as hyperbole at best as they lack substance or backing with evidence.

I then did a google search on sun fun kits reviews and these results appeared:

https://diysolarforum.com/threads/sun-fun-kits-guy-has-no-clue.39844/

https://diysolarforum.com/threads/is-there-bad-blood-between-diysolar-and-sunfunkits.41291/

https://diysolarforum.com/threads/cell-drift-in-commercial-batteries.34231/#post-425262

All these posts transpired before the Ray review; seems to me there was significant tension here well before this thread and the Ray review was the straw that broke the camel’s back.

If I had to guess 9/10 people buy grade B cells here and no one likes to be told what they have is bad which Sun Fun Kits does routinely. So this thread is more of retaliation against Sun fun kit’s opinions rather than a review of them as a vendor or their products. If you view the facts instead of relying on your emotions it paints a very different picture.

I speak as a customer with first hand knowledge of dealing with Dwayne and Patrick and would like to hear from anyone else who has ACTUALLY dealt with sun fun kits instead of hearsay which is what majority of the posts on this thread is. If you had an actual bad experience with them, let's hear it, post like horsefly above are childish banter that do nothing, btw you should take your own advice as far as I'm concerned.
except, way before ray they were already expelled from this forum for unacceptable behavior towards members...
do what ever you want, you seemingly got good cells, enjoy them, still doesnt change the fact that most here have a very bad taste in their mouth from everything they have seen from SFK

Then that would a personal problem you just prove my point, people have a problem with SFK not because of what they are selling is because of there opinions. Also who were these upset members, grade B owners and sellers? Ebayers selling cells? I'm pretty sure they made a lot of enemies with their videos and I suspect majority of these bad taster members may had a vested financial interests which conflicted with what they had to say.

Then that would a personal problem you just prove my point, people have a problem with SFK not because of what they are selling is because of there opinions. Also who were these upset members, grade B owners and sellers? Ebayers selling cells? I'm pretty sure they made a lot of enemies with their videos and I suspect majority of these bad taster members may had a vested financial interests which conflicted with what they had to say.
ok, let me explain it bluntly to you :

they are marketing stuff that hasn't lived up to it's promise and claims , and even create non-sense video to blur that
once they are exposed for their non-sense claims, they turn into nasty folks ( and have done so on multiple occasions)

this can only make one conclude that if their is a real problem with the stuff they sold, there will be nothing but grief

that should be enough to stay clear from them

you bought your stuff before you were aware of this, and got lucky and recieved good stuff...
one swallow certainly doesn't make summer

and as i stated, and others here too, the way you are behaving yourself in regards to this corp, truely makes me question your motives

Back