diy solar

diy solar

Sungold Power vs Ruixu?

dzonline

Hello,

Seems the server rack battery options have gone a little overboard. Now with Ruixu and Sungold entering the game with 3U boxes, I'm curious if anyone has an opinion of either company? Both batteries were recently reviewed by lithium solar, both very similar to each other and in the case of Sungold at least, it shares the same BMS as Jakiper and SOK except its the upgraded version.

Finally I'm buying 2. No more, no less so paying $300++ for LTL shipping would make any other battery ~$3300-$3500 or more.

Sungold
Sungold Server Rack Battery
1) 10 year warranty
2) FREE shipping via standard carriers.
3) Has a US office (yes I know I'd have to deal with China-based support most likely)
4) 30-day return
4) 2x @ $2754

Ruixu
Ruixu Server Rack Battery
1) 7 year warranty
2) Lots more documentation than I thought for connecting to inverters - I'm committed to Victron Multiplus-II 48/5000 120v
3) Ships LTL, flat rate of $300 Anything tractor trailer won't make it down my road and can't turn around, so I'd have to meet them which can be a pain.
4) 2x @ $2798 with lithiumsolar discount

Thank you!

After reviewing both, my preference is for the Ruixu. It's using GFB cells, has flexible busbars, and they've gone out of their way to get some certification testing. It lacks a circuit breaker though which is a bit of a downside. I don't like that the SunGoldPower requires cables to exit the left/right sides of the case.

I have been going round on this also. I did buy the Victron Multiplus-II 48/5000 120v. so we are on the same path. I was concerned that the sungold battery may not communicate with the victron equipment. Victron does not have the sungold battery on its "approved" list so they don't guarantee it will communicate with sungold. I went down a bit of a rabbit hole on this. Sungold wanted to know if you could select the battery type with the Victron Inverter. Victron said no, their is no place to do that. Victron said there could be a work around so I sent them the sungold specs/ They said specs were incomplete they could not tell if it would work. After that sungold support said, you should just buy battery victron recommends... then a couple days later I got someone else from sungold saying the battery definitely works with victron and they said they tried it out on a victron inveter.. So take that for what you want. You are speaking to sungold reps that have english as a second language. The chinese/english communication issues can make getting your points across difficult. In the end I have decided NOT to go with the sungold battery. I am going to buy the EG4 lifepower. Why? because thousands of people here have purchased it already. It is a known entity, it has lots of positive reviews. People here tell me it will communicate with victron if you buy the (communication hub $100) by the way it is not on the Victron approved list. Also, and I know this is may not be relevant to you, but EG4 has good resale value. If you decide for what ever reason to upgrade or ditch the solar project these batteries have resale value, just look around at used stuff. Also supported by signature solar. I know there has been some people complaining about them but at least they are in the USA. I think most of the issues with signature may be parabolic growth. It is just easier to talk to people who speak the same language, and they might have something on the shelf in USA to send you should you need parts or replacement.
The costs, EG4 is more but not much more. July sale. 2 batteries in my cart are $2718 + $250 shipping+ $100 cumminication hub = $3018
How much is the Sungold small savings worth going with an unknown battery? JMO

I have been going round on this also. I did buy the Victron Multiplus-II 48/5000 120v. so we are on the same path. I was concerned that the sungold battery may not communicate with the victron equipment. Victron does not have the sungold battery on its "approved" list so they don't guarantee it will communicate with sungold. I went down a bit of a rabbit hole on this. Sungold wanted to know if you could select the battery type with the Victron Inverter. Victron said no, their is no place to do that. Victron said there could be a work around so I sent them the sungold specs/ They said specs were incomplete they could not tell if it would work. After that sungold support said, you should just buy battery victron recommends... then a couple days later I got someone else from sungold saying the battery definitely works with victron and they said they tried it out on a victron inveter.. So take that for what you want. You are speaking to sungold reps that have english as a second language. The chinese/english communication issues can make getting your points across difficult. In the end I have decided NOT to go with the sungold battery. I am going to buy the EG4 lifepower. Why? because thousands of people here have purchased it already. It is a known entity, it has lots of positive reviews. People here tell me it will communicate with victron if you buy the (communication hub $100) by the way it is not on the Victron approved list. Also, and I know this is may not be relevant to you, but EG4 has good resale value. If you decide for what ever reason to upgrade or ditch the solar project these batteries have resale value, just look around at used stuff. Also supported by signature solar. I know there has been some people complaining about them but at least they are in the USA. I think most of the issues with signature may be parabolic growth. It is just easier to talk to people who speak the same language, and they might have something on the shelf in USA to send you should you need parts or replacement.
The costs, EG4 is more but not much more. July sale. 2 batteries in my cart are $2718 + $250 shipping+ $100 cumminication hub = $3018
How much is the Sungold small savings worth going with an unknown battery? JMO
Actually if your bound and determined to want to make sure the battery will work with any brand inverter/charger you want to then build you own battery for far less than the eg4. That's what Ive decided to do. All you have to do is use a bms that is compatible with what your wanting to run. If you change equipment and the battery is no longer compatible then just change to a different bms :)

I guess I should have posted I decided and bought Ruixu for several reasons including cost, build quality, form factor, vertical orientation (sungold had to go in a rack or flat but not stacked) and documentation to name the big reasons.

I installed them a few days ago, made a communication cable per their instructions to connect to a Cerbo-S (why people pay extra for the Cerbo GX with all the tank options they'll never use, I'll never know) and it works flawlessly. It even reports high/low cell voltage for the top/bottom 3 in real time.

Personally I wouldn't buy any product just because lots of people have, and I sure won't pay more money for essentially the same thing.

As for "support" I have had great response from Ruixu regarding shipping, cables, communication to Victron etc. Yes there can be a time zone delay, but being former IT, I don't need to call someone when I can read a manual.

Last edited:
Oh, I should have mentioned the BMS must be a Yolaness brand as that is what is reported by the Cerbo-S.

Sounds cool, I get what your saying, personally I am just trying to eliminate more DIY and add more plug and play.
Agree, the comms cable could be bought from Victron or Current Connected. But I had the crimper and cables already.

I was actually replying to someone elses post regarding DIY battery>

"Actually if your bound and determined to want to make sure the battery will work with any brand inverter/charger you want to then build you own battery for far less than the eg4. That's what Ive decided to do. All you have to do is use a bms that is compatible with what your wanting to run. If you change equipment and the battery is no longer compatible then just change to a different bms :)"

Do you happen to run Solar Assistant and is it working connected to the Ruixu? It's not listed on their site yet so just curious which USB setting works if any.

Don't know about Solar Assistant as a Victron user, looks redundant. But there aren't any USB ports on the battery. Ruixu has communication documentation for inverters supported by this software if that helps any.

I'm seriously considering the ruixu 30KWH rack. I noted Will is mixing them, but I'm a little sketchy on how the BMS would work when you have two different packs. I do have two 18KPV's in parallel, and I could put one BMS in one and one in the other. I also picked up the EG4 communication hub for the LP4 rack just in case. I really want to get to 90KWH at some point but for now the ruixu would be a very attractive option. Anybody have any experience with a similar setup. I would really like to parallel the buses.

I'm seriously considering the ruixu 30KWH rack. I noted Will is mixing them, but I'm a little sketchy on how the BMS would work when you have two different packs. I do have two 18KPV's in parallel, and I could put one BMS in one and one in the other. I also picked up the EG4 communication hub for the LP4 rack just in case. I really want to get to 90KWH at some point but for now the ruixu would be a very attractive option. Anybody have any experience with a similar setup. I would really like to parallel the buses.
Seems to make the most sense, as you mentioned, to have one 18K connected to each battery bank. FWIW, you can parallel 32 RUiXU batteries, which would easily get you to 90kwh. EG can only get you close unless you have the new EG4-LL v2. (correct me if I'm wrong)

Seems to make the most sense, as you mentioned, to have one 18K connected to each battery bank. FWIW, you can parallel 32 RUiXU batteries, which would easily get you to 90kwh. EG can only get you close unless you have the new EG4-LL v2. (correct me if I'm wrong)
What would prevent you from stacking 3 racks of 6 LP4's in parallel?

I was just quoting the spec sheets, and interpreted you wanted to parallel all 90kw from your post. Maybe I was wrong.
(Digging/Reading) 16 units is the max if you want to daisy-chain comms on the RS-485. I'd probably just split them 9/9 between the inverters, I dunno.

Hello,

Seems the server rack battery options have gone a little overboard. Now with Ruixu and Sungold entering the game with 3U boxes, I'm curious if anyone has an opinion of either company? Both batteries were recently reviewed by lithium solar, both very similar to each other and in the case of Sungold at least, it shares the same BMS as Jakiper and SOK except its the upgraded version.

Finally I'm buying 2. No more, no less so paying $300++ for LTL shipping would make any other battery ~$3300-$3500 or more.

Sungold
Sungold Server Rack Battery
1) 10 year warranty
2) FREE shipping via standard carriers.
3) Has a US office (yes I know I'd have to deal with China-based support most likely)
4) 30-day return
4) 2x @ $2754

Ruixu
Ruixu Server Rack Battery
1) 7 year warranty
2) Lots more documentation than I thought for connecting to inverters - I'm committed to Victron Multiplus-II 48/5000 120v
3) Ships LTL, flat rate of $300 Anything tractor trailer won't make it down my road and can't turn around, so I'd have to meet them which can be a pain.
4) 2x @ $2798 with lithiumsolar discount

Thank you!
Sungolds are on sale now $2430 for two shipped free.

Yeah, I just ordered two last Friday night. Found out yesterday they are out of stock but, as per usual they claim they will have more Friday. Orders take forever. It's took 39 days to get my system. So now waiting on these two batteries.
Sungolds are on sale now $2430 for two ship

I just saw these batteries today or $999 and free shipping, what do you think?.

Back