diy solar

diy solar

Thinking about wind?

I was looking up wind maps the other days for shits and giggles, because "my area is windy" and "there are commercial windmills around". If I could put a 2kW turbine on a 90m tall tower (on my <half-acre lot) without being shot by my neighbors before it dies it might generate some useful energy on days with little sun.
Do no not lose hope my friend. A 90 meter high tower is going to encounter some REAL shitload of wind. Unless you are around the equator or something similar to Indonesia.

If well built you can do plenty with the energy that is to be harvested out of that.

OK, I will explain why I am so particular about it.

For my modest plot size I have already used up all the solar space I have. 44 panels that is.

I am running circles in my mind how to solve that problem, even to the extend that I throw another 30k to extend the serviceable roof area.

But then in my mind wind then comes to the rescue. I can place 1 or more strategically on my (of modest size) land and get the benefit I am looking for.

Meaning I can get my heat pump running year round.

I will admit that I have no real clue of what I am doing and that this is all just a panic reaction to the pandemics and wars that are happening around us.
The problem is finding a wind generator that lasts. The Jacobs my brother uses required modification since he has had it. Larger shafts for larger bearings finally eliminated the problem of bearing failure. This was unit built to last quite a few years and even it had faults. The smaller units run faster and wear out quicker.

Probably the best right now for small units is the washing machine motor wind generators that people build themselves.

btw I must admit that designing and building a 1200 m3 house was a challenge. But somehow I ended up living in it, legally approved by the municipality.

Now getting a damned turbine to spin is on a whole other level. ;)

and yes I thought forward. The steel frame can take earth quakes that are not even happening yet.

I rest my case ;)

Last edited:
btw I must admit that designing and building a 1200 m3 house was a challenge. But somehow I ended up living in it, legally approved by the municipality.

Now getting a damned turbine to spin is on a whole other level. ;)

and yes I thought forward. The steel frame can take earth quakes that are not even happening yet.

I rest my case ;)
You live in a 13,000 sq ft house or am I reading that wrong?

That's about 6x bigger than mine.
Well, ONE of mine.

OK, about 2x mine (plural)

hahahha are we done already yet with the jealousy?

Yes your calculations are correct. I designed, built and own and live in it a fn^& mansion near a fn&* nature reserve.

mic drop!! ;)

but I will now switch back to humility mode (please remember I got triggered into full teeth showing mode by a good friend of mine that is somehow still after me ;)) as there are so many things that I did wrong and would like to do over.

if one is interested I am willing to share more about all of this but then most likly in a more private setting.

He would have more room for a big ground mount if the house didn't take up the whole lot. :ROFLMAO:
well you are almost correct.

You see there is a rather large amount of water included in the lot. And also I could not build on it by lack of confidence and knowledge.

But in general the total footprint of the actual building is never greater than 50% of the plot (and that is including the water)

and also please understand that like 70% of advice I get I knew all along. But it is my humility that still thanks the providers of info.

I am getting the impression that the loudest amongst this thread ridiculing me are the ones that did the least to help our common cuase!

Just understand that my head is held high and unless you can poop like a trillion tons then my head will stay high ;)

i think I agree with toms. This forum needs a bit more mature input.

diy solar

diy solar
Back