diy solar

diy solar

Tig welding

Alandall1

Hi, i currently live in an off grid tinyhouse, all is good solar and battery wise, but i really would like to setup my shed with solar and lithium ,just to able to Tig weld , it a 240v single phase 200A machine.
Is this just a dream or do you think its actually possible, what and how much equipment would i need do you think. ?

Hi, i currently live in an off grid tinyhouse, all is good solar and battery wise, but i really would like to setup my shed with solar and lithium ,just to able to Tig weld , it a 240v single phase 200A machine.
Is this just a dream or do you think its actually possible, what and how much equipment would i need do you think. ?

It's possible, you just have to design a system that can meet the demands of the welder you want to run on it and for how long it needs to run without Sun. Like an energy audit is useful here I suppose. You need to figure out how many amps the welder draws on its input line, the 200a output spec of the welder is not useful here (assuming that what the 200a is). The welder doesn't actually draw 200a on its input AC line.

Last edited:
Typical 200A TIG Machine...Max Inrush : @240V: 36.8A. Max Rated : @240V: 22A (or 5280 Watts). 35% duty cycle.

So, I would install a 12kW low frequency inverter with plenty of pv and batteries.

Typical 200A TIG Machine...Max Inrush : @240V: 36.8A. Max Rated : @240V: 22A (or 5280 Watts). 35% duty cycle.

So, I would install a 12kW low frequency inverter with plenty of pv and batteries.

Yeah, and I suppose it also depends if his welder is an old style with a big transformer, or like the newer trend models which are inverter-based with switching power supplies. The inverter style welders probably would be a lot more forgiving if using an HF power inverter, vs LF inverter...

Yeah, and I suppose it also depends if his welder is an old style with a big transformer, or like the newer trend models which are inverter-based with switching power supplies. The inverter style welders probably would be a lot more forgiving if using an HF power inverter, vs LF inverter...
Yes its a modern inverter style

They have 15A plugs fitted, and should only run on a 15A rated supply

They have 15A plugs fitted, and should only run on a 15A rated supply

Some of those welders (I have a Titanium MIG170), can run on 120v or 240v, so that is another factor to consider. I've only run mine on 240v so far, and don't plan to run it on 120v unless in a bind, in a situation away from 240v power availability.

If i got a watt meter and checked to see the consumption on 200 amps for a few mins, this would give us a good idea right ?! Not sure if my meter could handle that though.

If i got a watt meter and checked to see the consumption on 200 amps for a few mins, this would give us a good idea right ?! Not sure if my meter could handle that though.

Also check the specs page in the manual. My Titanium manual gives input amps draw specs on the chart for both 120v and 240v modes of operation.

Some of those welders (I have a Titanium MIG170), can run on 120v or 240v, so that is another factor to consider. I've only run mine on 240v so far, and don't plan to run it on 120v unless in a bind, in a situation away from 240v power availability.
Both my mig and tig are 240v, they run ok on the generator but im reluctant to use the tig this way, its a very electronicaly sensative machine with lots of digital parameter settings, i really dont want to fry it...

It's possible, you just have to design a system that can meet the demands of the welder you want to run on it and for how long it needs to run without Sun. Like an energy audit is useful here I suppose. You need to figure out how many amps the welder draws on its input line, the 200a output spec of the welder is not useful here (assuming that what the 200a is). The welder doesn't actually draw 200a on its input AC line.
Yeah this is where im coming unstuck, if i went 10k 48v hybrid controller ,16x 280A lifepo4 batteries, is it enough ?!

Both my mig and tig are 240v, they run ok on the generator but im reluctant to use the tig this way, its a very electronicaly sensative machine with lots of digital parameter settings, i really dont want to fry it...

An LF frequency inverter like the MPP Solar LVX6048 (or a couple of them parallel stacked), with the heavier transformer in it, would probably put out a cleaner voltage with less noise and jitter I would think, and meet surges well (the LF tend to have a bit higher idle draw).

Recent welders from ”western” manufacturers are generally very robust and don’t care much what is feeding them. Kemppi stick/tig will run on 300feet extension cord no problems.

I just bought a big propane generator way less money in the long run I think. Really how long do you plan to weld? Even if all day a few times a month. for example I pay $2.60 a gallon. Burn 4-5 gallons a month? Still going to be way cheaper then a $6k inverter 5k in batteries and $3-4k in panels.

I just bought a big propane generator way less money in the long run I think. Really how long do you plan to weld? Even if all day a few times a month. for example I pay $2.60 a gallon. Burn 4-5 gallons a month? Still going to be way cheaper then a $6k inverter 5k in batteries and $3-4k in panels.
Inverter is 3k, bats 3k panels 2k, i do run a genny but its more about noise and not upsetting the neighbors, i do a lot of welding in my workshop ,but i want to give the shop up and do it from home..

Inverter is 3k, bats 3k panels 2k, i do run a genny but its more about noise and not upsetting the neighbors, i do a lot of welding in my workshop ,but i want to give the shop up and do it from home..
That was going to be another question. If your doing this for personal or running a small business. If business could the equipment be a written off as upgrades?

200A on TIG with AC high frequency?

I can tell you my TIG will blow a 60A breaker if you crank it up.

If you bought a 12k inverter let’s say a growatt. You’re looking at roughly $2,000 for it to arrive at your door.
Many other inverters out there.
Battery bank size would depend on how long you plan to weld for.
I would assume you’re going to be welding the thickest materials on the highest settings for 8 hours a day.

I saw 5280 watts being your draw at %35 so let’s say
5280x8(hours welding) =42,240
Divided by 5,000 =8.44
So to answer your questions.
You’d need like 9 or 10
-5 kWh batteries to weld 8 hours a day

I think hahaha
All I know is that I know nothing

diy solar

diy solar
Back