diy solar

diy solar

UL certified LiFePO4 batteries?

cdnorth

Hello, sorry if this has been addressed before, I tried to do a search but wasn't finding what I need. I'm really wanting to install server rack style LiFePO4 batteries and want some input.

It seems that even for an off grid install in our area, the batteries need to be UL certified to get a permit. I'm able to find quite a few of these that have UL listed cells but not the entire battery. I'm trying to confirm what the exact requirements are in our municipality but are there actually any of these server rack style batteries that are fully UL certified? I know SOK is in the process but not anticipated for awhile. Any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks in advance!

Reactions: Arh
Hello, sorry if this has been addressed before, I tried to do a search but wasn't finding what I need. I'm really wanting to install server rack style LiFePO4 batteries and want some input.

It seems that even for an off grid install in our area, the batteries need to be UL certified to get a permit. I'm able to find quite a few of these that have UL listed cells but not the entire battery. I'm trying to confirm what the exact requirements are in our municipality but are there actually any of these server rack style batteries that are fully UL certified? I know SOK is in the process but not anticipated for awhile. Any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks in advance!
cdnorth, I have been looking for something similar for awhile but have had no success finding what I was looking for either... After reviewing multiple threads with no success I started my own thread with my own list (leveraging what I could find in other threads)...

I just got going and thus this is still a work in progress but the following is the thread with a listing that I started:

Please review and add any feedback... Let me know if that is the type of info you are looking for and if not let me know what changes you recommend (columns to add and what not)...

I started this for myself and sharing in case it helps you and/or others...

cdnorth, I have been looking for something similar for awhile but have had no success finding what I was looking for either... After reviewing multiple threads with no success I started my own thread with my own list (leveraging what I could find in other threads)...

I just got going and thus this is still a work in progress but the following is the thread with a listing that I started:

Please review and add any feedback... Let me know if that is the type of info you are looking for and if not let me know what changes you recommend (columns to add and what not)...

I started this for myself and sharing in case it helps you and/or others...
This seems like an awesome resource you're developing, already started going down the rabbit hole of data you've compiled! Seriously, thanks for sharing!

So I'm trying to really nail down a decision on this as it seems to be the final item to decide. I think i'm convinced we want to go LiFePO4 but the UL certification requirement is making me question what we should get. Since EG4 and the like are not an option, I think I'm between ARK Lithium or Simpliphi. Does anyone have any input on either of these?

FIRST: do your own research. The following comes from my research and I would *love* to find out if I'm not correct, so please use this as a starting point and not the last word. This is a complex topic that can be summarized as: "Does all the equipment need to be UL 1741 certified to pass inspection for the electrical permit?

Scope: I'm working on a permitted install of solar panels, a backup battery, inverter to run some small loads (outdoor lighting) and provide emergency backup power in a grid-down situation. Not doing any grid-tie or sell back.

Have been looking into this issue and for off-grid storage, NEC2020 (and earlier) have a UL safety standard 1741 that applies. I found out there is a European counterpart called IEC62109 (1)(2) was derived from UL1741 but I have no evidence that NEC2020 accepts this standard. I was hoping I could substitute the IEC for UL.

(I found documentation from 2004 indicating that they were trying to develop international standards, but no idea if that succeeded. I looked to see if the IEC62109 was in the NEC2020 but was unable to confirm that it is/was.)

If you go look at the scope of UL 1741 on the UL site (links below) you will see what it applies to: which are most of the system components I need for my installation. As I have been at this for months, be careful of web sites saying their stuff is UL certified. For example they may try and trick you by quoting a single sub-section of UL to try and convince it is UL compliant when it isn't (at least for my purposes). Someone in the thread mentioned UL9540A - this standard is related to run-away lithium battery safety which does not mean it is UL1741 compliant. Some examples below are not examples of people being deceptive - but it demonstrates how confusing this topic is. I could point at some chinese equipment manufacturers tho, where I have drawn a different conclusion.

For Permitting under NEC (national electric code Sep 2019) now widely adopted in the US, it "appears" that all components in the system need to be UL1741 certified. I have come to this position when I was reading up on what is required to put the panels on my house and discovered
that ALL the components - panels AND panel mounting racks would need to be UL listed as a 'system'... extending that a bit, then that would also include the Rapid Shutdown equipment, the Rapid shutdown control module, the combiner box and its manual switch that stops panel power to the MPPT/inverter *and batteries*.

So in an attempt to sort this out, I have provided some links that I found during my research:

1. Notice the IEC 62109-1 (2010) cert (equivalent to 1741) on this MMPT product: https://www.victronenergy.com/uploa...martSolar-MPPT-150-45-up-to-250-70-VE.Can.pdf
I'm not quibbling about the quality of the Victron equipment, but I'm guessing that while the equipment was tested by a different lab to UL1741 standards. There is a more detailed example below.

2. Eventually I found the following UL web sites because I could not get a clear picture from mfr-supplied materials.

https://standardscatalog.ul.com/ProductDetail.aspx?productId=UL1741 and
https://www.ul.com/services/digital-applications/ul-certification-database - which you can use to look up items that have been UL certified. 1. you have to pick a country to get the Search to work. 2. Click "find a product certification". 3. Underneath the Login buttons you will see "Search Abridged site without Login" - click on that link. 4. Click on the search bar at the top and type in "1741" or "Tigo" or "Victron" "SMA" -

3. I definitely have some questions about the items that pop up in the UL search. For example: see if you can find any of the products listed by the Vendor in this link: and look at the bottom of Page 2: "Applicable Requirements" - UL 1741 (ed.2). It appears they were tested to the standard - but those products do not show up in the UL search. https://www.victronenergy.com/uploa...lueSolar-&-SmartSolar-MPPTs-up-to-150-100.pdf

Not sure what this means, but if it doesn't have a UL stamp, regardless of what the vendor did, I don't know how you'd convince an inspector that it was UL 1741 compliant. Which goes right back to the "what equipment can I use to pass inspection?"

Now I sincerely HOPE that I am wrong here as I already bought some stuff that is now looking like it will be liquidated and I'll have to substantially start over with Outback, Midnight solar or some other clearly UL1741 stamped gear. No idea what to do about the battery tho (cost of storage may price me out of my project).

Couple of things to keep in mind: 1). The MPP Solar, Growatt, EG4 equipment seems to be ok for RV'g, boats, etc and might work just fine for things like a garage or other non-dwelling unit or charging your electric car. 2). The rules re: solar panels are not as strict if you don't have the panels on a dwelling. I'm a fan of the Victron equipment and capabilities (although it is not cheap - they piece meal the components into a high price tag). So if you are doing those types of applications - proceed with one eye open!

Lastly if you are going to get a permit, go look for your municipalities' building permit site and review all the codes related to positioning panels on your roof (wind areas, fire codes, height restrictions... ) so you know what you are getting into. I had to answer 20 questions a specific way to avoid getting a building permit for just mounting the panels- and what I need to do 'failed' the test. Be prepared for Wind loads, snow loads, weight of the panels, fire class (must be A or B) rating for panels, etc...

Does all the equipment need to be UL 1741 certified to pass inspection for the electrical permit?
I don't know a lot about NEC 2020 but what I understand is that the important term is UL Listed. It is best to check with your jurisdiction about whether they follow UL 2020.

I would be very surprised to see EG4 batteries getting UL certifications, we were about to pull the trigger to order 50 of these for our data center in Dallas, but found out that they are using Grade B ganfeng batteries which are NOT UL certified, so unless they have a new line of server rack batteries that has UL certified cells (EV grade / grade A) I don't see this happening.

Fortress power has UL certified stuff for a data center and is probably what we will go with.

Find a user name Robby he has the information to help you as he very knowledgeable on certifications.

I would be very surprised to see EG4 batteries getting UL certifications, we were about to pull the trigger to order 50 of these for our data center in Dallas, but found out that they are using Grade B ganfeng batteries which are NOT UL certified, so unless they have a new line of server rack batteries that has UL certified cells (EV grade / grade A) I don't see this happening.

Fortress power has UL certified stuff for a data center and is probably what we will go with.

Find a user name Robby he has the information to help you as he very knowledgeable on certifications.
EG4 is officially UL-Listed for the EG4 Lifepower; the LL version was still pending last time I checked.

What? How can it be UL listed with grade B cells? What is the point of UL then? Aren't they supposed to verify all these things?

What? How can it be UL listed with grade B cells? What is the point of UL then? Aren't they supposed to verify all these things?
"Grade B" doesn't mean unsafe. UL isn't like TUV which (IIRC) certifies that the device actually does what it advertises.

wow super lame imo! ?
They certify for safety... that it can do its nameplate power without starting a fire or failing. Just nothing like life expectancy. There are other certifications that can help with that type of thing, but these products just aren't in the market that gets that level of attention yet. (And the made-in-China would likely make any stickers not exactly trustworthy.)

UL is sounding more like the BBB seal scam, as long as you pay you get the seal.

No not really, companies fail testing sometimes and have to go back and fix the issues.
UL also needs to have mechanisms in place to handle the large volume of items that need/want to be certified, hence why they have other companies that can certify that equipment meets it's specifications.
Once you get into the Area of being UL Listed it then becomes a whole different process and this process is not required for most devices but obviously something that can burn down your house requires a lot deeper look into what is inside, does it do what it's supposed to do and is it safe and what happens when something does go wrong.
It's a long process that requires a lot of research into the device and testing.

Why would it need EV grade cells to get listed for storage applications?

Back