diy solar

diy solar

Unboxing of Deye 16K Hybrid Inverter

So are you still using the inverter with the firmware you switched that allows L/120v N120v? Is the inverter still shutting down within 2 minutes? Why does it throw out F08? Are you saying it says F08 when you try to power different amounts of load on each leg before installing the transformer?
so many questions about your statements.. I guess that’s due to a language barrier. You acted like you switched the 16k single phase Deye to operate like it’s splitphase. But then never clearly stated if you kept the firmware the way you switched it to or if you switched it back. That’s why it’s hard for me to understand what’s going on with the AFCI/GFCI

Last edited:
Savings are a little less than 3K. But for those not off grid, will it pass inspection?
$8k for the 15k solark vs $2800 16k deye. but yeah in Puerto Rico if you manage to get the 8k deye you can pass inspection because it has the UL certification and is on the list of approved inverters not for the 16k because of solark they did not apply for the UL because everyone knows why...

$8k for the 15k solark vs $2800 16k deye. but yeah in Puerto Rico if you manage to get the 8k deye you can pass inspection because it has the UL certification and is on the list of approved inverters not for the 16k because of solark they did not apply for the UL because everyone knows why...
That’s $2800 before tax and shipping. Closer to $3500 would be a fairer comparison

+Transformer $660 with shipping.

I received a Sol-Ark for $8,100, no sales tax or shipping charge. So $5670 after FTC.

So for 16K: ($3298 + $660) -30% = $2842

So difference for me would be $2828.

solark power capabilities? the only power capabilities of the solark is a 15k inverter that cost $8k and you connect 3 120v loads and shuts down, if you going to pay $8000 for an inverter like that you are just better with the schneider 6848 xw pro.
I was torn between the SolArk 15k and the Schneider Electric.
I reached out to both companies via email and phone calls for more information starting in September
SolArk has replied to all my calls and emails
Schneider has not responded to any inquiry
I have sent. Crickets!! I have an account at CED Greentech which is a supplier of pretty much every solar product out there. I asked them to have the Schneider rep call me for questions I have. No response
Anixter a electrical distributor on the west coast gave me the phone number of the rep that handles Schneider and still no response.
I do think the Schneider is a better product in regards to handing high amps loads but if your in a jam and it’s not working who am I going to call.

Yeah Sol-Ark picks up the phone for me too. But when they declare my 12k inverter defective and say they will replace it - then crickets.

I was torn between the SolArk 15k and the Schneider Electric.
I reached out to both companies via email and phone calls for more information starting in September
SolArk has replied to all my calls and emails
Schneider has not responded to any inquiry
I have sent. Crickets!! I have an account at CED Greentech which is a supplier of pretty much every solar product out there. I asked them to have the Schneider rep call me for questions I have. No response
Anixter a electrical distributor on the west coast gave me the phone number of the rep that handles Schneider and still no response.
I do think the Schneider is a better product in regards to handing high amps loads but if your in a jam and it’s not working who am I going to call.
Yeah usually if you have a good product in your hands most of the time you wont need to call anyone because the actual hardware is not broken you just need to maybe restart the inverter check your PV voltage parameters check your battery voltage simple troubleshooting so for most of us DIYers we dont care about someone picking up the phone that probably know less than you and also... when you have a product with a different name say deye/solark with exactly the same internal hardware that the price difference is $4k because you have a new friend you can call if somethings goes bad i just dont see the value... most of us diyer will just buy 2 deyes and have one as a spare. That is why i usually recommend people to buy schneider that is a product with proven robustness if you want to call your friend on the phone maybe it wont pick up the phone the first time like you said but eventually you will have your product replaced/repaired if something goes bad.

But that is just me how i make my decisions.

+Transformer $660 with shipping.

I received a Sol-Ark for $8,100, no sales tax or shipping charge. So $5670 after FTC.

So for 16K: ($3298 + $660) -30% = $2842

So difference for me would be $2828.
How come you got your sol-ark without tax, is that standard?

Remember, the 16K is a Single-phase. L=115V N=115V Total 230V. Think of it as like our 240V appliance with AC L1=120V L2=120V Total 240V. The unbalanced load is with Split-phase only L1-N L2-N which is not an issue in Single-phase of either the Sol-Ark 15K or Deye 16K. If all the 230V/240V load used up the MAX capacity of both Inverters will throw a "F18 AC over current fault of hardware" error will raise Red Alarm and exit Normal operation mode.

@misterbubbacat see page 34 of your manual, this inverter supports split phase out of the box. Appears no transformer is needed. Please test / confirm..

Attachments

• 39618E65-4CAA-4FBA-AA21-D94E287F5EB5.png
    39618E65-4CAA-4FBA-AA21-D94E287F5EB5.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 17
@misterbubbacat see page 34 of your manual, this inverter supports split phase out of the box. Appears no transformer is needed. Please test / confirm..
1672641610859.png

If you like to know more, you should read what I've already posted. No, this is a EU version single-phase. The IGBT circuity did not implement the system Neutral. Forcing it into Split-phase will result in inverter shutdown with F08 error. See above.

1672641232110.png

1672641290462.png

1672641324649.png

View attachment 127452

If you like to know more, you should read what I've already posted. No, this is a EU version single-phase. The IGBT circuity did not implement the system Neutral. Forcing it into Split-phase will result in inverter shutdown with F08 error. See above.

View attachment 127449

View attachment 127450

View attachment 127451
Since the inverter is a single phase inverter, Why then do you have splitphase selected for grid type and inverter output voltage. For grid type you wouldn’t be connecting the neutral to the inverter input so you would select single phase not splitphase. For output the inverter isn’t supplying splitphase because it’s a singlephase inverter so you would choose single phase output

Since the inverter is a single phase inverter, Why then do you have splitphase selected for grid type and inverter output voltage. For grid type you wouldn’t be connecting the neutral to the inverter input so you would select single phase not splitphase. For output the inverter isn’t supplying splitphase because it’s a singlephase inverter so you would choose single phase output
?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️

Deye seems to be unable to remove these options from the orginal firmware they were given so they have left them in the menus, but the inverter board itself cannot do split phase.
The most he can do is use this as an off grid 11KW inverter and run the output through A transformer to get split phase.

Deye seems to be unable to remove these options from the orginal firmware they were given so they have left them in the menus, but the inverter board itself cannot do split phase.
The most he can do is use this as an off grid 11KW inverter and run the output through A transformer to get split phase.
Yes I agree that the single phase inverter can’t do splitphase. That’s been obvious to me from the start of this thread. I’m asking why he has splitphase selected for grid input and inverter output if the inverter is single phase.

if his area was not very strict he could also use this inverter as a grid tie inverter. It doesn’t need to be splitphase to feed into the grid, Or to cover the homes load using CTs and not export

Last edited:
Yes I agree that the single phase inverter can’t do splitphase. That’s been obvious to me from the start of this thread. I’m asking why he has splitphase selected for grid input and inverter output if the inverter is single phase.
Trust me that might have been obvious to you and me from the very start but to others following along they saw that Menu option in the Photos and thought BINGO!
As to why he has it selected even though it does nothing, only he knows the answer.

if his area was not very strict he could also use this inverter as a grid tie inverter. It doesn’t need to be splitphase to feed into the grid.
How could he feed the grid with Single phase 230V? I am pretty sure he would need another Transformer to Convert the Single Phase 230V to 115V Split phase and then comes the question of can the inverter boost the 115V enough to push back or equalize against the 120V from the Grid or if single phase can be used can the 230V go up to 240V?

The second issue is that as my Installer friend down the road from me has said, he has yet to meet a utility company that is not strict when it comes to grid tied systems on their wires, and this guy should know. He has two separate teams of Installers and they average one Install everyday.
Almost every power company has algorithms in the billing software that alert them when you have more than 2-3 months of reduced usage below a set percentage. (They assume power theft is happening). Solar will always reduce your bill far enough to trip that alert and when they get there and they find an illegal Grid Tied system your going to have major issues.

Back