diy solar

diy solar

Using non-UL insulation

My first EE job out of college , in a research centre , my boss said. Three things get you fired “joining wires with tape, chocolate blocks or wire nuts “ !! Stayed with me ever since.
So what do they suggest you to use?

And what exactly is wrong with "Chocolate Blocks"?

1668525371806.png

The Polaris we so love is nothing but a hefty chocolate block.

1668525462882.png

And what do you with those proper crimp connectors, land them on a screw terminal block?

1668525566556.png

Or do you mean crimp terminals inserted in a connector housing?

1668525631571.png

I've seen all of these, and wire nuts, in various appliances and equipment.

The Polaris we so love is nothing but a hefty chocolate block.
There are a couple differences between the Polaris and a chocolate block that to me make it better for continuous cycling loads. You are less likely to splay strands out with the Polaris in my experience, which risks heating up the terminal more. Material selection is also a bit of a concern, but that is specific to the company you linked to.

Things like solar or EV chargers where you often run at 80% of rated capacity for long durations and then go 0% load for a long duration really stress electrical connections. An appliance like a washer or dryer is much less of an issue, or even a panel feed where typical loads are 10-30%.

Of course, with everything proper use is really the key. Install it wrong or use the wrong device for the application and you will have problems.

These were new heater hose, so never had a chance to absorb water or anything else.
Often a ‘carbon black’ is used to color hoses for UV resistance, color consistency or whatever. It occurs to me that if it is still/actual carbon based colorant… well carbon is conductive.

Back