diy solar

diy solar

Victron to EG4

zachyp

I'm considering the switch to EG4 from Victron.

Current setup: 24V with a 3000 MP1, 100/30, 100/50, 250/70 CC and BMV/raspberry pi for VRM. 3200 watts of solar on the roof and about 400 amps @ 24v.

Wants: 6000 watts, mini split (240v)

Future Potential Setup: Two 3000EHV-48s, 4000 watts of solar, 400 amps @ 48v.

The pros of the victron is hybrid functionality. I haven't used this feature in about a year, but it's always nice to have. Without experiencing the lack of this option, I'm not sure how I feel about losing it. If I'm plugged into say 20 amp power at a friend or family's house, this power is only utilized under certain parameters? If I'm plugged into 50 amp, will is completely bypass the inverter?

If I have two 3000EHVs in split, does the power going to them need to be split as well (I.E. out of phase) or can I send the same phase to each and then have the inverters split the phase? My onboard generator is 10kw single phase, so I'd rather not screw up my inverters by sending incorrect power to them.

Any other regrets I may have about switching?

I'm considering the switch to EG4 from Victron.

Current setup: 24V with a 3000 MP1, 100/30, 100/50, 250/70 CC and BMV/raspberry pi for VRM. 3200 watts of solar on the roof and about 400 amps @ 24v.

Wants: 6000 watts, mini split (240v)

Future Potential Setup: Two 3000EHV-48s, 4000 watts of solar, 400 amps @ 48v.

The pros of the victron is hybrid functionality.

and:
reliability
true surge power
VRM

I haven't used this feature in about a year, but it's always nice to have. Without experiencing the lack of this option, I'm not sure how I feel about losing it. If I'm plugged into say 20 amp power at a friend or family's house, this power is only utilized under certain parameters? If I'm plugged into 50 amp, will is completely bypass the inverter?

I'm confused by the question marks. You have the system. Are you not aware of the behavior in these circumstances?

If I have two 3000EHVs in split, does the power going to them need to be split as well (I.E. out of phase) or can I send the same phase to each and then have the inverters split the phase? My onboard generator is 10kw single phase, so I'd rather not screw up my inverters by sending incorrect power to them.

Any other regrets I may have about switching?

The ONLY reason I would ever go from Victron to EG4 is if... can't think of a reason.

If you want split phase power, why aren't you simply looking at getting a second MP to put in 120/240VAC parallel with the MP?

The power consumption of the EG4 is > 2X the idle power draw of your MP. They'll consume about 2kWh/day simply by being on. IIRC, the MP is down around 17W yielding only 0.8kWh of inverter idle consumption per day.

Last edited:
Two big reasons for switching.. Cost and Space Saving. Two inverters, two lynx systems, three charge controllers and the batteries takes a good chunk of space. The EG4 would be two inverters and whatever wiring. The cost of an additional multiplus is about the same as two EG4 inverters. Selling the Victron stuff would pay for the new system and allow me more room in my bay. Another benefit would be putting all of the panels in series which would be around 320v before adding two additional panels. Two lines down the to bay would be better than six lines.

But in all honesty, I may end up just getting another multiplus. I keep talking myself back and forth.

As far as the other comments, I was referring to the EG4 system when talking about plugging into 20 amp. I know the multiplus will powerassist when plugged into 20 amp. Just wanted to know what the EG4 would do.

Two big reasons for switching.. Cost and Space Saving. Two inverters, two lynx systems, three charge controllers and the batteries takes a good chunk of space. The EG4 would be two inverters and whatever wiring. The cost of an additional multiplus is about the same as two EG4 inverters. Selling the Victron stuff would pay for the new system and allow me more room in my bay. Another benefit would be putting all of the panels in series which would be around 320v before adding two additional panels. Two lines down the to bay would be better than six lines.

But in all honesty, I may end up just getting another multiplus. I keep talking myself back and forth.

As far as the other comments, I was referring to the EG4 system when talking about plugging into 20 amp. I know the multiplus will powerassist when plugged into 20 amp. Just wanted to know what the EG4 would do.

You can't set AC input limit on the EG4, only maximum charge current from AC. No powerassist, and you could easily overload the EG4 with loads.

ZERO surge capability. You'll need soft starts on your A/C units if you plan to use them.

Unless you have zero issues with shading from roof protrusions, single string PV performance may be worse than multiple parallel strings.

FWIW, I have a Victron system with 0 Lynx.

Find someone who has an EG4 inverter and ask them if you can look through the programming interface. Or, just pick one up.

I can't imagine anyone switching TO an EG4 inverter from Victron.

i can't imagine anyone switching TO an EG4 inverter from Victron.
Unless one were to set up a second unit in another setting to satisfy curiosity. Keeping the Victron of course.

I was considering the EG4 until I saw this...

Are these problems limited to the 6500 models or are there others with these issues?
I can't say if they're limited to the 6500s or not. I don't have any direct experience with the other models. I've heard the 3000 is a pretty robust unit, but I've also heard that the 6000s have had some of their own issues (probably why SS is including both the 6000 and the 6500 in their upgrade program).

Back