diy solar

diy solar

Want to paint Trailer Roof before mounting panels

If Bed Liner is petroleum based then you don't want to use it on an EPDM roof. It will permeate the EPDM and do a number on the adhesive holding the EPDM to the underlayment.

Given the stink of the roll on Bed Liner I used on a project, it was petroleum based.
Commercial liners like Line-X are polyurethane or poly blends.

Don't get me wrong here, I'm not trying to promote it, just offering a thought. Everyone has provided enough info as to why it is probably not a good idea. But being the experimenter I am, I'd probably try it.... ?

Commercial liners like Line-X are polyurethane or poly blends.

Don't get me wrong here, I'm not trying to promote it, just offering a thought. Everyone has provided enough info as to why it is probably not a good idea. But being the experimenter I am, I'd probably try it.... ?

I would try it too. On somebody else's trailer!
hide3.gif

200 sq. ft. Rubber roof membrane.
Intend on mounting 3x400watt Trinas (80"x40")
It gets hot up there under the panels!
Roof Membrane gets cooked.
Was thinking to have some tilt mounts, but seems dealing with such large panels, a flat mount might be best way to go....KISS.

Regardless, want to go ahead and paint the roof before my install.
Many different products available, trying to decide which one to go with.
What have you used?
Hengs, Dicor, EPDM Coatings Brand?
Any helpful suggestions?
Thanks!
Gacoflex 42 silicone roofing material. Mount all your brackets, clean roof per instructions, seal seams if needed
If applied correctly you will leak free roof for life! 50 yr warrant on s42 materials.
5gal is like 259.00. More than enough to do your roof
It's bright white and will never chalk on you again and heat should be no issue

Gacoflex 42 silicone roofing material. Mount all your brackets, clean roof per instructions, seal seams if needed
If applied correctly you will leak free roof for life! 50 yr warrant on s42 materials.
5gal is like 259.00. More than enough to do your roof
It's bright white and will never chalk on you again and heat should be no issue
Thanks for suggestion. Silicone supposed to be best IIRC.
Have you or someone you know used this product on an RV EPDM roof? I'd like some proven success. I'm a little hesitant to use something without years of good results on an RV. I'm sure it's a great product for use as intended on buildings. I'm still leaning towards using EPDM Coating with their 30 years experience on RV roofs.

On an EPDM roof, I would go with the Dicor two coat system.
Part 1: https://dicorproducts.com/product/e...activator-part-1-of-epdm-roof-coating-system/
Part 2: https://dicorproducts.com/product/epdm-roof-acrylic-coating-part-2-of-epdm-roof-coating-system/

I was camping in northwest AZ last week. Good grief, I had no idea it was so windy there.
I studied the Dicor 2 part system, its acrylic based. Acrylic not the top material from what I can read, seems most have 3-5 years and its time for recoat. I'm still leaning towards the EPDM Coatings butyl coating as its 20mil thick and seems lasts 10 years or more. They have 30 years of experience and great message board and helpline. Plus, its not available in California due to high VOC....that usually means a good product LOL! THE SILICONE coating mentioned above is interesting as Silicone is one of the top coatings, I'm just not sure about using it on an RV.

I was camping in northwest AZ last week. Good grief, I had no idea it was so windy there.
It's wind season in the Desert Southwest, keep those awnings undeployed! Gusts only in the 30s today, started beating my trailer up around 2am. Had to go and close my truck hood, I leave it propped open at night to discourage rodents setting up home overnight (in addition to anti rodent products like fresh cab, dryer sheets, peppermint oil, you name it I've tried it

I have used this for years....you will not regret it...just make sure you do your prep...clean let dry and apply two coats.....good luck

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210603-212322.png
    Screenshot_20210603-212322.png
    725.3 KB · Views: 6
I have used this for years....you will not regret it...just make sure you do your prep...clean let dry and apply two coats.....good luck
The problem with silicone is that nothing sticks to it. Good luck using Dicor Lap sealent around AC, vents etc.. Also a branch might slice your roof, will eterna-bond tape stick?

The problem with silicone is that nothing sticks to it. Good luck using Dicor Lap sealent around AC, vents etc.. Also a branch might slice your roof, will eterna-bond tape stick?
It does on my roof....? the secret might be that I always clean the area with alcohol...... Seems to make it slightly tacky.....

Back