diy solar

diy solar

What’s “reasonable” for backordered products?

Nan_wpg

Solar Enthusiast
Just looking for some opinions.

I ordered a lifepo4 battery from a local Canadian company. (I try to shop local, support mom and pop, etc when possible).

battery was “in stock” when I ordered. Website indicates it could take 4-5. days to ship.

after a week I didn’t receive any confirmation / shipping emails so I enquired “where’s my stuff”.

they replied ”oops our bad , miscalculation on our part. Battery is back ordered, should be 2 weeks”.

a week later I emailed for an update and was told “should have within a week”.

I noticed that they sell solar kits (that are in stock) that include my battery I purchased. I emailed today asking for an update and suggested they could ship me a battery from the kit, and then replenish when they receive the battery shipment.

just wondering what you’d all consider reasonable.

I ordered, and was charged accordingly for a product I was told was in stock.

I understand things happen, mistakes are made, supply chains, etc.

the battery is currently in stock in the us and ready for purchase. My concern is things fall through with the Canadian company, and in the mean time the us seller sells out, is again on back order.

basically I want what I paid for, don’t want to be a “karen” about it, but allow for “stuff happens”, but not wanting to get screwed in the end, lol.

what’s a reasonable expectation before I cancel the order?

They replied today stating that the batteries are being held up at customs,awaiting clearance. There is another batch that is “pre cleared” and, if they arrive first will be shipped to me.

now we’re back to 2 weeks. This would be 5 weeks.

starting to worry.

Everything that involves shipping is horrible these days. I definitely understand the frustration.
I'm not sure what is considered reasonable, anymore. I would probably just give it more time. But you are definitely entitled to go with other options. If you see fit to do so.

How much more time would you give? I was already told 2 weeks due to “carrier delays”. Now it’s customs clearance (which may be a part of carrier delay).

based on my experience with customs 2 weeks wait is bs. But…. If they are talking about a large shipment,then maybe it’s treated differently than just me ordering?

I do have the option of ordering from current connected battery is on stock and ready to go. It’s a tad more expensive (and,a small hassle as I’m in Canada) but at least they have stock.

I like to consider myself reasonable. But at the same time if you keep telling me 2 weeks, every 2 weeks then my tolerance lowers.

if it’s going to be 2 weeks tell me. If it’s 4 weeks tell me. If you have absolutely no idea then just tell me.

I just don’t like being strung along.

I can see the challenge being that the store probably doesn’t know exact info/dates and is just giving their best guess.

Granted when they found out they didn’t have a solid date they should have relayed that to you and give you the option to cancel or wait and unknown timeframe.

I can see the challenge being that the store probably doesn’t know exact info/dates and is just giving their best guess.

Granted when they found out they didn’t have a solid date they should have relayed that to you and give you the option to cancel or wait and unknown timeframe.
it’s not even that they don’t know the date. It’s the fact they took my money and have no stock, while their website said it was in stock.

I’ve asked if they could take a battery out of one of their kits. I think that’s reasonable as I paid for an “in stock” item. I’d see it as a good Will gesture as it was their screw up.

is that reasonable? They keep dancing around the issue and not saying yes or no to splitting up a kit

Do what you feel is right for you.
You asked what we would do. So that's what I answered. If in two more weeks you are told two more weeks. That would probably be my limit.

it’s not even that they don’t know the date. It’s the fact they took my money and have no stock, while their website said it was in stock.

I’ve asked if they could take a battery out of one of their kits. I think that’s reasonable as I paid for an “in stock” item. I’d see it as a good Will gesture as it was their screw up.

is that reasonable? They keep dancing around the issue and not saying yes or no to splitting up a kit
Go back to their website and put the same battery you originally ordered in your cart/checkout without checking out. See what happens. You'll get your answer on what they are up to. My guess is they will not indicate it's back-ordered.

Are you assuming they have those kits with batteries in stock? Or did they tell you they had them in stock on a shelf?

I think you’ve already proven they are willing to say something is in stock and it isn’t.

Are you assuming they have those kits with batteries in stock? Or did they tell you they had them in stock on a shelf?

I think you’ve already proven they are willing to say something is in stock and it isn’t.
I am assuming they have the kits (with battery) in stock. most of the kits are “in stock” and a couple are “stocking soon”.

im a “if you say it do it” kinda guy.

but you are correct they’ve proven they are willing to say they have stock when they don’t.

tim said he’d wait another 2 weeks. What would you do?

Go back to their website and put the same battery you originally ordered in your cart/checkout without checking out. See what happens. You'll get your answer on what they are up to. My guess is they will not indicate it's back-ordered.
I just did this.

it allowed me to purchase. But…… the web site now indicates “restocking soon”. It was in stock when I ordered. And I had to contact them to be told it’s back ordered.

what would you do? Give them more time? How much more time?

Every online vendor seems to run differently these days. I've been pissed off quite a few times ordering something online, thinking it was in stock, then having it "back-ordered". Then, other websites will be very honest and indicate just about everything out of stock or back-ordered! I don't think it's very good business to take your money first, then tell you it's not in stock. Depends on how bad I needed an item and if anyone else had it before I'd cancel it.

Every online vendor seems to run differently these days. I've been pissed off quite a few times ordering something online, thinking it was in stock, then having it "back-ordered". Then, other websites will be very honest and indicate just about everything out of stock or back-ordered! I don't think it's very good business to take your money first, then tell you it's not in stock. Depends on how bad I needed an item and if anyone else had it before I'd cancel it.
I don’t “need” the battery. I can wait. It’s in stock in the US (at a slightly greater expense) right now.

having said that I do have a bunch of other stuff (inverter/charger, cables, etc) sitting at my house waiting to go to the cabin for instal. But Id like to set everything up (update inverter) and do a mock instal in my garage before the cabin.

battery is the only thing holding me up.

The sooner of:

1) when you can reverse charges on your credit card
2) the drop dead date on a mock install before deployment.
I’m hoping not to have to reverse credit card charges. I’ll ask for a refund first.

you wouldn’t give them any more consideration?

what’s a reasonable expectation before I cancel the order?

It's not for you to give consideration to them , its for them to give it to you! , you're the customer! They are the business , it's their job to cater to your needs (and make lots of money doing it!)

Not sure what you think, but I wouldn't be happy with there customer service ,
I don't like being messed around like this , I want 1st class service or you're not getting my £1,000s.

It's not for you to give consideration to them , its for them to give it to you! , you're the customer! They are the business , it's their job to cater to your needs (and make lots of money doing it!)

Not sure what you think, but I wouldn't be happy with there customer service ,
I don't like being messed around like this , I want 1st class service or you're not getting my £1,000s.
So you’d ask to,cancel the order?

I’m hoping not to have to reverse credit card charges. I’ll ask for a refund first.

Then even earlier. Give them a few days to process the refund, and if not processed, file a dispute.

"How long for backorder" is a different question from "Ordered an item in stock, and now they say backorder".

If it were me, as soon as they told me backorder, I would re-think: Do I want to have a backorder from ABC with an expected day of X, or place an order with XYZ that says they have it in stock. Only you can answer that question.

Now that you have a backorder, and accepted the expected ship date, the question is now: They had an expected BO date of 2 weeks, and it is now 5 weeks. Should I wait, or cancel the order?

Ask for the tracking information on the shipment. Assuming that is your shipment, you can then confirm that it is with customs, and decide if you want to wait for it to clear. Depending upon how far you are from the Customs port, it could take a week for them to get it after it clears customs. Then another week for them to ship it to you.

I would have probably cancelled the order after they missed the first 2 week deadline. The phone people have no idea when they are getting the shipment (the boss may know, but he doesn't seem to be telling the phone people). I have a short string with people who have no idea, and can't find out. At that point, you are working with no reliable information.

If it is something I can get elsewhere I would cancel the order as soon as they told me it was backordered.

So you’d ask to,cancel the order?

Yes absolutely, the advert said they were in stock in Canada . Turns out they are still in China , and the company never even bother to call you to let you know , you had to contact them!

Now the website still says in stock, when they are CLEARLY not... , they know for a fact it's out of stock, you know it's out of stock , everyone knows.... even I know and I'm the other side of the world (quite like your batteries lol...)!

Looks to me like they are doing this deliberately, so they are lying.

.. and not only did they lie to you , it seems they make a habit of lying to all their customers?

Back